Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I've been thinking...

Oculus Rift now allows for high definition VR vision...

The developers of Piranha Games have created essentially what amounts to a timewarp technology they call Host State Rewind that has the potential to completely eliminate lag from an MMORPG - one of the greatest problems of action MMOs in general.

The Nintendo Wiimote has created a way to map with high precision the movement of a controller in 3D space to control things ingame...

And some Japanese college students have created a jacket that will translate instructions sent over the net to contract - to give the impression someone is touching you.

Oculus Rift + Host State Rewind + Wiimote + Tactile Jacket = Sword Art Online?

It actually seems like it could be possible now, in the very near future. And we have 9 years to go till the date at which SA:O is placed.

Now we're unlikely to get taste replication or smell replication within this time frame, but this is already 3/5 senses covered.

The possible future of gaming seems pretty bright.

#2 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

With that jacket and MWO; just tweak it so instead of getting a hug, when your cockpit is breached it binds much more tightly as to cru--uh give you a stern squeezing to simulate getting blow'd up.

#3 Koreanese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

wtf is OP talking about now?

#4 Alois Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostKoreanese, on 05 May 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Some psychobabble about how gimmicks that have failed spectacularly and repeatedly in the past are The Next Big Thing™ this time around.

#5 lizardmech

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostKoreanese, on 05 May 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

I think it's some chinese cartoon.

#6 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

View PostAlois Hammer, on 07 May 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Some psychobabble about how gimmicks that have failed spectacularly and repeatedly in the past are The Next Big Thing™ this time around.

People would argue Oculus Rift isn't a gimmick however. The amount of big names actually backing it makes it seem less and less like a gimmick as time goes by. I've tried it and it's actually pretty cool, especially compared to past "VR googles".

Edited by jakucha, 08 May 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#7 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

It's about tactile VR and the way that effectively pseudo sword fighting could be simulated but presumably without the pain or negative physical connotations. Unsure how much of a psychological impact it may have but presumably I suspect it would be managed to not induce pain receptors etc.

Whether then ultimately it would be a close simulation to the real thing when you know it is safe is a different matter, but I consider it might offer a greater immersion of the activity. This assuming that the game can run a reality based simulation well in real time as displayed to all the senses. FPS bug could bring a whole different perspective if it were to be applied as feelings per second I guess? ;)

Of course if its a simulation of real life equivalence I'm unsure whether Kendo would be a more social experience that would provide a better experience. I can certainly see a horror movie centered around people hacking the tech so it does actually cause physical harm present in the cinema spotlight with the advent of the first sales if not before. Sure its likely to have been done to some extent already in some movie somewhere in some form but struggling to make a link atm. other than I suppose the obvious Matrix Trilogy.

Interestingly if presented to the gaming community for fictional settings as I'm sure then it might at least provide an opportunity for a more physical aerobic experience which might lower the weight of the presumed gamer stereotype. This assuming you don't need a huge room free of expensive vases that tracks your movement to make best use of it all.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hayashi, you might want to explain what SAO is, so that players who are not Anime/Manga versed know what you mean. ;)

As for the comparisson, it is not even close, as the Tech in SAO basically removed the player from his/her own body and transfered it into a completely separate virtual world (this has also been the theme for many other films/Anime such as .//Hack, Neuromancer, Matrix and Avatar (the James Cameron film) for exmaple).

The tech you have listed does just the opposite. It moves the virtual sensations into the real world. This is not really much different than any other input/output device (keyboard/monitor for example) already does, just using different tactile and controll mechanisms.

EDIT: Also the real tech listed doesnt connect directly to the users brain either, just to the external receptors we already use.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 10 May 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#9 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Sure, I was making the connection purely in the context of VR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users