Why F2P Seriously?

18 replies to this topic

#1 ATF MART

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ok I was so excited about this game, So I downloaded it, the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is amazing, the game is amazing, but REALLY? WHY F2P, charge $40 or $35 if you are afraid of not being able to sell it at $50, but OMG THE ADS! ITS JUST SO ANNOYING!

It dissapoints me to the a level where I had to use my Uninstall Mech. UGH! I was so excited.

#2 Robin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Cool story bro.

#3 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

braiiinnnnsssss

#4 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

You can get a reasonable level or gameplay for $40 when the game will launch.

Its f2p so they game won't be a one off thing, it will have more content in 2 years than the boxed version would of had.

Finally after you installed it, you get play some boxed bioware and EA ganes that charge for every dlc, cosutume, extra level just lik a f2p game.

#5 Stokes52

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Ads? I haven't noticed a single ad since I've started playing. What exactly are you referring to?

#6 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

its where the industry is going.

even wow is going F2P

Edited by Tennex, 09 May 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#7 blah40000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Spoiler

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

If the ads you are talking about are the "buy Misery" and "buy Buccaneer" camo, then clearly PGI did something right.

#9 Blastcaps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

PGI stated since alpha think that MWO was going to be based on a F2P model, which cant fault them for so far ;)

#10 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I can't find the link but the reason they went F2P was pretty simple:

It was the only way that could get a publisher on-board.

#11 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Some fun misinformation.

Basically Gunman has it right. They pitched the idea of Mechwarrior 3015 [the old trailer with the warhammer and atlas] around to several different publishing houses... no one was willing to bite, and Microsoft wanted an exclusive deal where the game would be put on the 360 and windows, but no PS3 support.

Deciding to forgo that, the decision was made to make a F2P online only game.

The problem is the devlopment of this game is glaicer slow, and the devs can't seem to wake up to the fact they need to move quicker.

#12 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

If it weren't F2P, we wouldn't be playing another Mechwarrior game right now. It just wouldn't exist.

#13 ATF MART

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

With $50 I get 12k MC, and the ads for mechs say 6500, WHAT THE ****, so I can buy only 2 mechs with $50? rofl **** this ****

#14 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostATF MART, on 10 May 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

With $50 I get 12k MC, and the ads for mechs say 6500, WHAT THE ****, so I can buy only 2 mechs with $50? rofl **** this ****

Then don't buy them via MC.

Assuming you are new you get cadet bonus for the first 25 games which lets you earn loads of credits, win or lose.

Hero mechs are the only ones which are not available via credits.

#15 Stokes52

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Two things I don't understand: people complaining about how this game's F2P is implemented and people complaining about slow development updates.

We get at least 2 patches a month, we get at least a new mech, if not new map every month. Bugs are getting fixed, balance changes are incoming... Most beta games are only about fixing bugs. These guys are not only working on bugs, but they're even continuing to create WHOLE NEW CONTENT.

As far as F2P, there are many games out there that make free players second class citizens and they bombard them with ads and put all sorts of restrictions on their account.

In MWO, pay players are exactly the same as free players except these differences: they have access to more paint options, access to a few unique Mech variants (not even "better" variants, just "different" variants.), and they can choose to boost up their Cbill earnings with premium time. EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME.

Ever tried to play the now F2P Old Republic? Practically anything worth doing requires a premium account. You cant even chat more than once every 30 seconds without paying a subscription.

This game's F2P model is great. I spent $30 on MC precisely because I didn't feel pressured into it. I'd appreciate lower prices because I think paying more than $5 on a purely piece of digital merchandise is a lot, but that has more to do with their "pay" model than their F2P model.

Edited by Stokes52, 10 May 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#16 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostStokes52, on 10 May 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Ever tried to play the now F2P Old Republic? Practically anything worth doing requires a premium account. You cant even chat more than once every 30 seconds without paying a subscription.

So true.

I quit ages ago due to lack of content. The free account limitations mean that although I can now access the game for free all of the end-game content is locked off anyway so I have no idea if it is worth paying for again.

You can't even hide an ugly helmet without paying for the privilege... :)

#17 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I see no problems. Play it, if you like it spend more money on it.

FTP models allow a publisher to continue to release content and support their title via cash shop items and also makes it easier to draw in new players who would normally not bother with a game like MechWarrior.

Star Wars The Old Republic saw their monthly revenue DOUBLE when they went FTP.

It is a proven model and like it or not thats the way most games are going to be in the future I think.

#18 ATF MART

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yeah yeah, my bad, you can buy almost all mechs by playing, I guess I was being an Ignorant *****, sorry

gonna spend $15 when i get my check, thx!

#19 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

Its okay! Glad to hear everyones input always. Hope to see you on the field!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users