Streaks Are Not Working As Intended [Video Evidence]

102 replies to this topic

#61 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Paul already mentioned in his original post on SRM splash damage that the current fix was temporary http://mwomercs.com/...erver-downtime/ this is planned to be addressed further.

#62 Felix Reynolds

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 15 May 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Paul already mentioned in his original post on SRM splash damage that the current fix was temporary http://mwomercs.com/...erver-downtime/ this is planned to be addressed further.

Thank you for the reply Mr. Craig, however could you please clarify what is meant by 'this'- because as of now, all communication from PGI regarding this particular foible of Streaks has indicated (repeatedly) that the devs and GM's do not consider the observed disproportionate targeting of the CT by Streaks to be an issue present in the game, and as such might not possibly be investigating whether or not the upcoming tweaks to missiles will affect this at all.

Excerpt from Paul's original missile hotfix, emphasis mine-

View PostPaul Inouye, on 21 March 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Now our primary concern as to what is happening on the live servers is to curtail the incredibly high damage levels of missiles/explosions. To make the missile explosions/damage feel like they should and to keep the damage spread across a Mech, we kept the above mentioned splash damage work along with the following damage changes to missiles:

ATD 37 answer, emphasis mine-

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Ask the Devs #37

BlueSanta: When are you going to investigate the claims of an SSRM Bug currently in-game, where Streaks are almost always damaging the CT through either direct or splash damage, a problem that is especially affecting light mechs?
A: This actually does not happen, not every missile hits the CT every time. It’s random where each missile hits. Sometimes it may seem like you are being cored directly, however it is most likely due to splash damage. We are tuning this right now to minimize the SSRMs coring potential.

Previous topics on this same issue which have been present for more than a month with no response located HERE and HERE.

Official response for ticket submitted for this issue-

"[color=#2B2E2F]The issue of SSRMs only hitting the center torso is no longer an issue. They will track towards the center of mass for the Mech but if another body part gets between the missile and that center then they will impact that location. In the test I just ran I fired several volleys that damaged only arm/leg and never touched any part of the torso.[/color]
[color="#2b2e2f"]Regards,[/color]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[color="#2b2e2f"]GameMaster[/color]
[color="#2b2e2f"]MechWarrior® Online™"[/color]

As you can see, the issue has been at best acknowledged in a highly oblique manner, and at worst outright shot down and declared nonexistent. Any further information as to whether this issue in particular is indeed part of the suite of upcoming fixes/tunings would be great, and thanks again for the reply! Am excited to see what the upcoming missile tweaks are. I do miss my LRMs.... :D

Edited by Felix Reynolds, 15 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#63 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostFelix Reynolds, on 13 May 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

(...) or the damage being applied is somehow being directly sent through to the CT, despite 'visually' seeing the missiles impact elsewhere.

That would also explain why removing splash damage entirely made missiles damage CT exclusively.

Also: my stats for SSRM say that their hit rate is 72.68%, number of hits is 5,557 with total damage of 11,739 (that is 2.11 per hit). Misses are most likely caused by engaging targets out of SSRM range (270m) with small part being destroyed by enemy's AMS (you can be in range of multiple AMS units, that means more missiles destroyed) or hitting terrian/buildings.

Edit: SSRM trajectory and turning rate are also FUBAR, but that's another story.

Edited by Krzysztof z Bagien, 15 May 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#64 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I love it when you accuse someone of exploiting the bug and they feign innocence, like they have no idea what is going on. To all you f'ing Raven pilots, you day is coming.

Temporary being almost TWO months now.

Edited by BlueSanta, 15 May 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#65 redlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

thank you good sir, however, i thought it prudent to not only present my personal observations in an easily digestible manner but to also encourage my fellow testers to follow suit and hopefully allow for more thoughtful and meaningful feedback than just forum rabble.

i also brought to attention some of the other problems that effect the streak behavior that have nothing to really do with the current splash damage model it self (hit boxes, they fly through my mech, missile turn rate, artemis). these are issues we haven't heard anything about. and yest they are symptomatic of a problem with the weapon system it self and the way it behaves in live drops.

it can be difficult to track all the issues that are under investigation, and i think that most of or community doesn't understand just exactly how difficult something like this can be for the DEV team. i think we get the impression that you can simply punch in a few new damage values and BAM, it should be done. which is why in the video i plead for the community to be more patient.

for any one who is interested i have more video work and a podcast on the way, i will be attempting to contact members of the PGI dev team for a couple interviews and i hope to put a face on the team at PGI. i will also me asking all of the units that are currently active to nominate one person form their unit and i will be taking time to speak to them all about their experiences within the game in regards to game balance and a few other things.

thanks for keeping this bumped and for all the good feedback here guys.

Edited by redlance, 15 May 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#66 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

View Postredlance, on 15 May 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

thank you good sir, however, i thought it prudent to not only present my personal observations in an easily digestible manner but to also encourage my fellow testers to follow suit and hopefully allow for more thoughtful and meaningful feedback than just forum rabble.

i also brought to attention some of the other problems that effect the streak behavior that have nothing to really do with the current splash damage model it self (hit boxes, they fly through my mech, missile turn rate, artemis). these are issues we haven't heard anything about. and yest they are symptomatic of a problem with the weapon system it self and the way it behaves in live drops.

it can be difficult to track all the issues that are under investigation, and i think that most of or community doesn't understand just exactly how difficult something like this can be for the DEV team. i think we get the impression that you can simply punch in a few new damage values and BAM, it should be done. which is why in the video i plead for the community to be more patient.

for any one who is interested i have more video work and a podcast on the way, i will be attempting to contact members of the PGI dev team for a couple interviews and i hope to put a face on the team at PGI. i will also me asking all of the units that are currently active to nominate one person form their unit and i will be taking time to speak to them all about their experiences within the game in regards to game balance and a few other things.

thanks for keeping this bumped and for all the good feedback here guys.

They're game developers developing a game. So, I feel 0% sympathy when I get fed that "it's hard" speech.

Missiles have been garbage for almost TWO MONTHS after the most severe nerf this game has yet seen, when right before the patch that broke them, they were alright. This particular problem with SSRMs has been going on for that two months, and has never even been acknowledged with in a straight, look me in the eyes and tell me, fashion. I have HATED seeing user after user ABUSE this bug and ruin mine and many other's playing experience time and time again.

ACKNOWLEDGE the problem, DIAGNOSE it, PROPOSE a fix, TEST it, and tell me WHEN I can expect it.

#67 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostJoker Two, on 15 May 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

My stats say they are hitting at 65%, but I don't really trust that. I cannot remember any time I ever saw any SSRM miss except when it struck intervening terrain, which is uncommon. Perhaps previously bugged hitboxes are turning visual hits into statistical misses. Also, I haven't used them recently (since I realized they were broken powerful).

I have fought against them in fast and slow lights and mediums enough to be able to tell there is something wrong, regardless of what the numbers or the devs say. I wish I could post armor schematics, those would give a better idea, but when I tried last night it gave me an error.

EDIT: Does anyone know for sure (aka, have in-game experience with) whether AMS can successfully engage SSRMs? That may account for a large portion of the misses on a supposedly "auto-hit" weapon.

Do you watch your reticle indicator and paper doll of the enemy mech when the ssrms hit?
About 1/10 times or 1/5 times when my connection is bad I see them hit visually, but the reticle does not flash red and the enemy paper doll takes no damage.

Many times even when I hit,the enemy health percentage only goes down 1% even on medium mechs per strike on firing 4 SSRMS and all striking the enemy mech (jenner D)

My jaw dropped when I watched the OP video how quick he was killing mechs. Its like they are nuke powered SSRMS.

My experience is not like that at all. I have to circle and and live for literally many (3+) minutes to take someone out with SSRMS.

WIth lasers the job is much quicker.

If they nerf SSRMS any further I'll have to retire them to the useless bin eg Flamers, machine guns, small laser, single heat sinks etc.

That said I do notice when I encounter SSRMS I get blow to smithereens in seconds.

I sent a message to Thomas at PGi (which I'll post below) and he was kind enough to say something along the lines thanks for the video they're aware of problems and are working on it.

"Hi Thomas,

When referring to streaks, I have seen time after time from everyone else beside me that "streaks never miss, they should, always hit, etc, (even the official in game MWO description is "always hit their intended target".

However mine seem to regularly appear to hit but do no damage whatsoever, explode away from the enemy mech doing no damage again, or sometimes plain shoot past their target. This is out in the open, no obstacles, no AMS, just straight out they fail to deal damage once fired by me one way or another.

I dont fraps a lot, so its tedious to get on tape, and I did luckily get one of each example, but it also happens when shooting at non light mechs as well.
Is it possible high latency and network issues affect spread and hit rate of streak, a weapon which players have no control over and cant even lag shoot to compensate etc?

I figured streaks are all server side and once they leave your mech all calculations are handles done the same regardless of the players connections?

Video 1
You can see at 2 second mark, the volley of missles does no damage whatsoever to the enemy raven.

Video 2. A streak plain misses and shoots past a commando with full lock at the end of the video

Video 3. You can see the first volley of missiles that hit the enemy stalkers groin do no damage. You may need to go frame by frame here.

Video 4,
Not related to streaks, but the same regular thing with ballistics. 2x ac20 shots at the 30 second mark that should do 40 damage, do nothing at all (The shots at the 12 second mark is a miss because i probably did not aim ahead enough, but at 30 sec there is nowhere to aim ahead) . You can see the cataphract remains at same 78% of before and after 2xac20 rounds hit it.

A bit confused as to the cause behind all this. It seems you are best suited to adress this issue for me, otherwise let me know and I will contact support."

Edited by l33tworks, 15 May 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#68 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Streaks are one of my favourite weapons, and I use them a LOT, even if they're fairly rubbish atm.

A lot of what I've read in this thread is frankly ludicrous, by virtue of the following facts that need consideration.

1. If SSRMs are 'OP', then why are they not being used? People are sheep. They'll gravitate to whatever's the most 'op' at the moment. Where are the A1 Streakcats?

LL boats and poptarts on the other hand...

I've been seeing more Streaks on things like Atlases, but perhaps it bears considering that this is due to LRMs/SRMs being obscenely crap and switched out for anything else that's not completely rubbish?

2. Streak projectile speeds were lowered a while back, 200 vs 300 for SRMs. They actually miss, if you're trying to hit a light mech who knows how to jink.

So this 'infallible CT seeking magic weapon' spiel is really one huge myth that people should stop regurgitating as though its gospel. It really isn't.

3. Already been said but desperately needs another airing since people don't seem to want to acknowledge this.

REAL INGAME PLAY IS NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME AS SHOOTING A CRAPPY STOCK MECH STANDING STILL.

Its very common for mechs who know how to move well to get damage spread all over their mech. People who don't know this need to play more and see for themselves.

4. Building onto points 2 and 3. Since we're assuming most players are indeed not braindead noobs who think its a great idea to stand still and eat weapon fire,

MAYBE IT BEARS CONSIDERING THAT ONE SHOULD STOP BEING A SIMPLETON AND CHANGING YOUR PLAYSTYLE IF YOU HAPPEN TO BUMP INTO A STREAK HEAVY MECH?

If anyone was stupid enough to dance around in the open while an LRM boat was on the prowl, and promptly got obliterated by LRMs, we'd point and laugh. Doubly so if you got obliterated by today's 'balmy wind against your face' LRMs.

Why is it then acceptable to take on a mech carrying Streaks in a way that gives them the advantage, then using the crushing loss you suffer as some kind of proof that Streaks are OP?

If anything that should prove that people who refuse to adapt are the biggest losers and need to add a spoonful of cement to their coffee and harden the F. up.

#69 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

this being PGI we're lucky the streaks don't auto target the cockpit!!

#70 Felix Reynolds

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostValore, on 15 May 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Streaks are one of my favourite weapons, and I use them a LOT, even if they're fairly rubbish atm.

A lot of what I've read in this thread is frankly ludicrous, by virtue of the following facts that need consideration.

1. If SSRMs are 'OP', then why are they not being used? People are sheep. They'll gravitate to whatever's the most 'op' at the moment. Where are the A1 Streakcats?

I've been seeing more Streaks on things like Atlases, but perhaps it bears considering that this is due to LRMs/SRMs being obscenely crap and switched out for anything else that's not completely rubbish?

2. Streak projectile speeds were lowered a while back, 200 vs 300 for SRMs. They actually miss, if you're trying to hit a light mech who knows how to jink.

So this 'infallible CT seeking magic weapon' spiel is really one huge myth that people should stop regurgitating as though its gospel. It really isn't.

3. Already been said but desperately needs another airing since people don't seem to want to acknowledge this.

REAL INGAME PLAY IS NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME AS SHOOTING A CRAPPY STOCK MECH STANDING STILL.

Its very common for mechs who know how to move well to get damage spread all over their mech. People who don't know this need to play more and see for themselves.

If anything that should prove that people who refuse to adapt are the biggest losers and need to add a spoonful of cement to their coffee and harden the F. up.

To point 1- they've put in a hard counter to SSRM boating in the form of ECM. Next week, when BAP hits, let's see how many people dust off their A1 Streakcat. Just because it isn't FOTW doesn't mean it isn't broken.

To point 2 and 3 - please read through the entirety of the thread before you post. There are quite a number of people, in both this thread and the previous threads, who have done tests with this in live matches against pilots specifically trying to do precisely what you say they should be- ie, spreading damage, jinking, etc. There are videos that show this, there are paperdolls that show the aftereffects that show this, and to claim that it's just a 'myth' being regurgitated is utterly flabbergasting.

Because the whole point of this thread is to actually try to accumulate enough recorded evidence from as many people as possible on what streaks are doing one way or another as opposed to basing their ALL CAPS holier-than-thou 'learn 2 play simpleton sheeple I use streaks and they're fine this whole thread is BS' on, since you've provided nothing to the contrary, what amounts to a single viewpoint and anecdotal evidence.

And as to your last point...well, hey. To quote, "that's like, your opinion man". I think most other people who play the game and want to see it succeed would rather see a well balanced and tuned array of weapons in the game that function how they're billed to function and don't require knee-jerk reaction hotfixes, weeks on end of seeing FOTM everywhere, and/or people preaching that the only way to deal with it is to 'HTFU'.

Edit- I'm holding out like Prosperity to see what happens when the missile fixes actually roll in. Hopefully, we'll get an announcement on that this month *crosses fingers*. Between that and everything else rolling out, should be an interesting summer.

Edited by Felix Reynolds, 15 May 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#71 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

If damage and splash roll-backs were the only temporary remedies applied, than I imagine that over the next month or two that they missiles' behaviors will change, too. as mentioned before in the Developers' blogs and Q&A sessions, the general Open Beta Community gets game patches that are at least 3 weeks older than the "current" builds at PGI. This is due to the time it takes to go from current built tot he distributable version and getting it out to the users. So, in the meantime... I'm going to try using massed SRMs to hone my aiming before the SSRM users pluck me to death slowly...

#72 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostFelix Reynolds, on 15 May 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

To point 1- they've put in a hard counter to SSRM boating in the form of ECM. Next week, when BAP hits, let's see how many people dust off their A1 Streakcat. Just because it isn't FOTW doesn't mean it isn't broken.

Well then, I guess we'll just wait and see how many people playing this game fail that particular IQ test that involves not throwing yourself in situations you shouldn't. Apparently the train of thought that goes 'Are you a light mech? Should you really be approaching within 150/270 of that StreakA1?' is too complicated a concept for many to grasp.

To point 2 and 3 - please read through the entirety of the thread before you post. There are quite a number of people, in both this thread and the previous threads, who have done tests with this in live matches against pilots specifically trying to do precisely what you say they should be- ie, spreading damage, jinking, etc. There are videos that show this, there are paperdolls that show the aftereffects that show this, and to claim that it's just a 'myth' being regurgitated is utterly flabbergasting.

Because the whole point of this thread is to actually try to accumulate enough recorded evidence from as many people as possible on what streaks are doing one way or another as opposed to basing their ALL CAPS holier-than-thou 'learn 2 play simpleton sheeple I use streaks and they're fine this whole thread is BS' on, since you've provided nothing to the contrary, what amounts to a single viewpoint and anecdotal evidence.

It is a myth. I can respect 'testing' to prove a point. But jumping off a building 100 times and having 100 dead people does not indicate that jumping off a building = death. On the same token, I've fired off at this point 250k SSMs as per my stats. You can't have your cake and eat it by dismissing this as 'anecdotal'.

And as to your last point...well, hey. To quote, "that's like, your opinion man". I think most other people who play the game and want to see it succeed would rather see a well balanced and tuned array of weapons in the game that function how they're billed to function and don't require knee-jerk reaction hotfixes, weeks on end of seeing FOTM everywhere, and/or people preaching that the only way to deal with it is to 'HTFU'.

Edit- I'm holding out like Prosperity to see what happens when the missile fixes actually roll in. Hopefully, we'll get an announcement on that this month *crosses fingers*. Between that and everything else rolling out, should be an interesting summer.

None of what you've stated, i.e 'knee-jerk reaction hotfixes, weeks on end of seeing FOTM everywhere, and/or people preaching that the only way to deal with it is to 'HTFU'' have anything to do with the issue at hand and hardening the f- up. My point is simple.

The hypothesis raised in this thread, that there is a problem with SSRMs, is quite irrelevant by virtue of the fact that with missiles borked the way they are, trying to identify the issue and asking for a fix is a waste of time.

You can't fix something when we don't even know the extent of the problem, or for that matter, what exactly the problem is, or what the fix the devs have in the works is/what the endgame of this weapon i.e what its role is meant to be is.

#73 Felix Reynolds

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostValore, on 15 May 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

It is a myth. I can respect 'testing' to prove a point. But jumping off a building 100 times and having 100 dead people does not indicate that jumping off a building = death. On the same token, I've fired off at this point 250k SSMs as per my stats. You can't have your cake and eat it by dismissing this as 'anecdotal'.

To use your example, no, it doesn't prove that jumping off of a building equals death. But by the same token, having one person jump off and having them live equally doesn't prove that jumping off of buildings = ending up alive. And since you'd have 100 dead people and 1 live person, the evidence would then seem to suggest that jumping off a building probably isn't good for your health. And since we're saying that Streaks overly damage the CT compared to other components, and not that Streaks *only* damage the CT, I have to disagree with your basis for calling it a 'myth'.

The amount of streaks you've fired off in games, while quite large, is not a basis for immediately claiming this as a 'myth', unless you happened to fire off plenty of those with the express intent of testing and documenting their results and found that there is indeed no indication that streaks damage the CT over other locations. If you have, then please, I really do feel like the more documented information we can collect here the better the chance there is of something we do helping the missile tweaking process.

As to your last, missiles are indeed borked. There is quite a bit that isn't finalized with them and that will change with them in the coming weeks/months. The issue, however, is not that missiles *are* borked, but *how* they are borked. If you believe that is irrelevant, then fair enough. But believing a hypothesis to be irrelevant is not the same as immediately decrying it as a 'myth' - because so far, all the evidence that people have brought forward does indeed show that SSRMs preferentially damage the CT to a large extent while rarely inflicting even proportional damage to other components.

If that *is* indeed the case, which it seems very likely to be, then until the missile fix comes out this has little to do with 'omg learn 2 play noob don't rush a streakcat in a light' and more to do with the fact it directly leads to the same kind of immediately imbalanced play that arises from broken/too large hitboxes, and the immediate aftermath of the LRMapocalypse. Whether or not this thread is a waste of time will remain to be seen, but I personally don't feel it is as there have been strong indications that PGI don't consider this an issue- and if a missile fix is pushed through without changing this behavior, then it's my opinion is will very negatively affect the gameplay of quite a large player group. But until that happens, hey, we can only wait and see.

Edited by Felix Reynolds, 15 May 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#74 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

I think many people do not relise that the training grounds do not provide an accurate feedback to weapon damage. The training grounds themselves might not even recieve any updates to weapon stats damage ect. I think this to be the case quite honestly. SSRM's do no were near the damage they do on the current patch client. The training grounds came out before the LRMpocalypse happened and before the missle damage number's got nerferd. Unless some one can confirm that the training grounds do indeed recieve every patch update aswell I think people are seeing false results.

I just dropped in my Atlas DDC and with 3 SSRM's I 2 shot the commando's core and 3 shot the cicada's. Now please someone tell me the last time you killed a cicada/commando in 2-3 shots on the current live patch?? The answer is you cant because SSRM's do not do any were near that much damage. I am also aware that stock mech's in the training grounds do not carry full armour but the commando and cicada are not far off.

#75 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostValore, on 15 May 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

4. Building onto points 2 and 3. Since we're assuming most players are indeed not braindead noobs who think its a great idea to stand still and eat weapon fire,

MAYBE IT BEARS CONSIDERING THAT ONE SHOULD STOP BEING A SIMPLETON AND CHANGING YOUR PLAYSTYLE IF YOU HAPPEN TO BUMP INTO A STREAK HEAVY MECH?

If anyone was stupid enough to dance around in the open while an LRM boat was on the prowl, and promptly got obliterated by LRMs, we'd point and laugh. Doubly so if you got obliterated by today's 'balmy wind against your face' LRMs.

Why is it then acceptable to take on a mech carrying Streaks in a way that gives them the advantage, then using the crushing loss you suffer as some kind of proof that Streaks are OP?

1. Because of ECM. If nothing is done about missiles in Tuesday's patch, you WILL see Streakcats. They will be carrying BAP now that it is a hard counter to ECM.

2. How many times have you see SSRMs circle around a target wildly until they "fly" 270m and explode, causing splash damage? How they operate out of the tube and in the air is not realistic.

3. I've played almost 4,900 games since Open Beta. I'm a good pilot who spreads damage, but there is absolutely no way to avoid SSRMs coring you.

Eat **** and die, Streak exploiter.

#76 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 15 May 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Do you watch your reticle indicator and paper doll of the enemy mech when the ssrms hit?
About 1/10 times or 1/5 times when my connection is bad I see them hit visually, but the reticle does not flash red and the enemy paper doll takes no damage.

Many times even when I hit,the enemy health percentage only goes down 1% even on medium mechs per strike on firing 4 SSRMS and all striking the enemy mech (jenner D)

My jaw dropped when I watched the OP video how quick he was killing mechs. Its like they are nuke powered SSRMS.

My experience is not like that at all. I have to circle and and live for literally many (3+) minutes to take someone out with SSRMS.

WIth lasers the job is much quicker.

If they nerf SSRMS any further I'll have to retire them to the useless bin eg Flamers, machine guns, small laser, single heat sinks etc.

That said I do notice when I encounter SSRMS I get blow to smithereens in seconds.

I sent a message to Thomas at PGi (which I'll post below) and he was kind enough to say something along the lines thanks for the video they're aware of problems and are working on it.

"Hi Thomas,

When referring to streaks, I have seen time after time from everyone else beside me that "streaks never miss, they should, always hit, etc, (even the official in game MWO description is "always hit their intended target".

However mine seem to regularly appear to hit but do no damage whatsoever, explode away from the enemy mech doing no damage again, or sometimes plain shoot past their target. This is out in the open, no obstacles, no AMS, just straight out they fail to deal damage once fired by me one way or another.

I dont fraps a lot, so its tedious to get on tape, and I did luckily get one of each example, but it also happens when shooting at non light mechs as well.
Is it possible high latency and network issues affect spread and hit rate of streak, a weapon which players have no control over and cant even lag shoot to compensate etc?

I figured streaks are all server side and once they leave your mech all calculations are handles done the same regardless of the players connections?

Video 1
You can see at 2 second mark, the volley of missles does no damage whatsoever to the enemy raven.

Video 2. A streak plain misses and shoots past a commando with full lock at the end of the video

Video 3. You can see the first volley of missiles that hit the enemy stalkers groin do no damage. You may need to go frame by frame here.

Video 4,
Not related to streaks, but the same regular thing with ballistics. 2x ac20 shots at the 30 second mark that should do 40 damage, do nothing at all (The shots at the 12 second mark is a miss because i probably did not aim ahead enough, but at 30 sec there is nowhere to aim ahead) . You can see the cataphract remains at same 78% of before and after 2xac20 rounds hit it.

A bit confused as to the cause behind all this. It seems you are best suited to adress this issue for me, otherwise let me know and I will contact support."

A lot of your posted vids are of older gameplay, which was probably more or less accurate to that release. It's not as useful when it is not current.

#77 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostValore, on 15 May 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Well then, I guess we'll just wait and see how many people playing this game fail that particular IQ test that involves not throwing yourself in situations you shouldn't. Apparently the train of thought that goes 'Are you a light mech? Should you really be approaching within 150/270 of that StreakA1?' is too complicated a concept for many to grasp.

And when every member on the enemy team can freely equip SSRMs then as a light pilot really, what you should be doing, is not pressing the Launch button. As otherwise you will be basically taking a spot that could have been useful and added a mech whose literal only job in game is to avoid all members of the enemy team at all cost. Plenty of Snipers and even Atlas and cata/jager brawlers already equip 3-5 SSRM2s whilst also having a high enough alpha to 1shot a light and 4x the armour. Do you really just want lights to be completely nonviable in game?

#78 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

lights were fine prior to ECM, its stupid pilots that arent viable.

#79 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostBlueSanta, on 16 May 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

1. Because of ECM. If nothing is done about missiles in Tuesday's patch, you WILL see Streakcats. They will be carrying BAP now that it is a hard counter to ECM.

2. How many times have you see SSRMs circle around a target wildly until they "fly" 270m and explode, causing splash damage? How they operate out of the tube and in the air is not realistic.

3. I've played almost 4,900 games since Open Beta. I'm a good pilot who spreads damage, but there is absolutely no way to avoid SSRMs coring you.

Eat **** and die, Streak exploiter.

1. Yes, because the new BAP will have a giant magnet which will cause all light mechs to immediately get sucked in to a range of 150m with no hope of escape.

2. Never. I have seen them fire out, then miss a mech who is running laterally or directly past me plenty of times though.

3. Then you're not a good pilot, because good light pilots figured out long ago that circle strafing things to death with their little Raven 3Ls only worked in the lala land of ECM + Lagshield easywin mode.

So to return the compliment, go curl up in the corner and cry more for the days of when Raven 3Ls could take on everything and win.

View PostWispsy, on 16 May 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

And when every member on the enemy team can freely equip SSRMs then as a light pilot really, what you should be doing, is not pressing the Launch button. As otherwise you will be basically taking a spot that could have been useful and added a mech whose literal only job in game is to avoid all members of the enemy team at all cost. Plenty of Snipers and even Atlas and cata/jager brawlers already equip 3-5 SSRM2s whilst also having a high enough alpha to 1shot a light and 4x the armour. Do you really just want lights to be completely nonviable in game?

No, I expect the crappy light pilots who were under the mistaken impression they were built to be able to fight on a level playing field with mechs heavier than them by circle strafing to death with lagshield to now QQ and quit the game.

The smart ones figured out things like using terrain to their advantage and working as a team long ago.

Maybe find yourself a team/some friends who appreciate you for something other than your giant kill/damage epeen? Who actually appreciate a light mech who does things like... dunno... harrassment, capping, spotting, tagging etc? Things that lights were MEANT to? *shock horror*

#80 redlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostValore, on 16 May 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Maybe find yourself a team/some friends who appreciate you for something other than your giant kill/damage epeen? Who actually appreciate a light mech who does things like... dunno... harrassment, capping, spotting, tagging etc? Things that lights were MEANT to? *shock horror*

wispsy is one of the most talented light pilots i know.

the way you adredd people just shows you don't belong here.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users