Oculus Rift - Mwo Edition

85 replies to this topic

#81 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 05 April 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

I don't need to pitch anything to you; luckily there are already lots of developers (large and small) on board with the Rift and those numbers are growing. Naturally, the trailblazers and innovators will precede the imitators, but that is just the nature of this industry. The luddites always come kicking and screaming into the future... ;)

Posted Image

#82 poohead

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostKhobai, on 04 April 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

its just a gimmicky way to free look and nothing more.

If it's immersive and adds more options to control it won't be a gimmick. The flexibility of being able to look in one direction, aim in another and move in another will probably be the same difference as going between no mouselook and mouselook in games like quake. However this depends on the implementation, but then again who know what new imaginative control methods will be dreamt up by using Rift in a game?

View PostKhobai, on 04 April 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

The real potential for a product like oculus rift isnt gaming but rather integration with smartphone technology. Theres far more potential in developing oculus rift into a social media tool to compete with google glasses. Which is exactly why facebook bought them, and why facebook overpayed so much to acquire them, because they see the potential for furthering social media.

In its current incarnation Rift is VR, not AR which would be more suited to a smartphone mobile device interaction (the clue here is 'mobile', you want to see stuff around you). Google glass is a very different implementation to Rift. The closest halfway between the two is probably the Moverio from Epson

http://www.tomsguide...news-18110.html

Posted Image

#83 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

This is what it's all about. This is what I want for my MWO experience, and why I'm excited for VR

#84 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostDustySkunk, on 11 April 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

This is what it's all about. This is what I want for my MWO experience, and why I'm excited for VR

Oh hell yeah.

#85 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

#86 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

My only worry is that since Facebook bought Occulus Rift, they will **** it up somehow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users