X-5 Guide Needed

18 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph51494

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanton GA U.S.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I got the X-5 in hopes of a fast mech with low armor high speed and firepower and have found that I have trouble destroying even light mechs how are you supposed to use this thing?

#2 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I use it as a scout, skirmisher, light mech hunter and flanker. It's very fast giving it an excellent ability to enter and exit a fight which is very useful.

Use your mobility to escape an unlikely possible confortation and attack from unexpecting positions.

I still use the standard 4 ML and 2 SRM2 loadout. I have 4 ML as group 1 and 2 SRM 2 as group 2.

Use the first weapon group as your bread and butter. In close combat or when flanking a slow mech, group 2 comes in handy in softening them up. Don't bother chain firing, if close to shutdown, run away and attack from another location.

Also keep moving and don't stop.

#3 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

not bragging but the x5 and 2a got me 6th place one day in the last tourny.....i wait 2 minutes after drop and attack from rear....

and if ur using the standard loadout, be sure to lead ur targets with the 2 srm 2's

#4 CGB Behemoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 418 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

X-5 have only one trouble. It's name RVN-3L with ECM&streaks. After new BAP mode announced at 21-st May - ravens will cry.

First of all make X-5 ELITE. 330XL engine + 4xML + 2xSSRM2 - our choice. And remember your tactic is HIT&RUN or BACKSTUB. Never try to fight with any mech except lights in face-to-face mode.

Enemy fights with your teammate - Backstub it. Enemy stays at one point - flank it, then hit&run. Enemy pursuits you - run to your teammates as fast as you can. All tactics for X-5 is the same as for lights.

#5 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

x5 is an excellent machine.....using it is a different story:)

#6 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Chuck in 2 SRM 6 and you will tear apart anything you want :D

#7 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

i have to disagree with Behmothk, my x5 has taken out more heavies and ***'es than i can count.......but there is always a time and a place......OP, you MUST pick your battles....

that was supposed tp be assaults, sorry :D

#8 Joseph51494

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanton GA U.S.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I am thinking about switching it out for another mech of similar speed with better firepower any ideas? and by the way I find missiles ineffective. (note I am aware asking the internet for ideas is a bad one.)

#9 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostJoseph51494, on 13 May 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

I am thinking about switching it out for another mech of similar speed with better firepower any ideas? and by the way I find missiles ineffective.

;)

Drop on the training ground with an X-5 equipped with 2 srm 6 and stand behind an assault. Alpha it a few times and tell us that missiles are ineffective! :D

#10 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

in my honest opinion, i would stick with the Cicada chassis, if you do not like srm's, the the 2a is a comfortable machine with 6 energy hardpoints.... even the 2b has 5 energy hard points.....the cicada chassis is a hardy build...in my humble opinion....

#11 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

So without investing in a new engine you can go for streaks and 1 ton of ammo, or keep the stock loadout. With a 300XL you can fit 2 SRM6s and dish out some nice damage. You will have to get used to the three volleys, but it's not hard with a little practice. It also makes them more accurate (from what I can tell).

Shameless Plug Warning: Check out my Comprehensive Guide to the Cicada for some of my thoughts about the Cicada in general. Most of that applies to the X-5 as well.

#12 Joseph51494

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanton GA U.S.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I like ChaiXuan's idea but I was hoping for something with jump jets.

#13 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

hmmmm...jj's......i would go with a jenner...... :D

#14 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

but Darwin's guide to the Cicada is GREAT (thank you Darwin)..... but i would not count out the Cicada chassis because of JJ's......but if Jumpjets blow your skirt up, then i would go jenner chassis.....

Edited by ChaiXuan, 13 May 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#15 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostChaiXuan, on 13 May 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

i have to disagree with Behmothk, my x5 has taken out more heavies and ***'es than i can count.......but there is always a time and a place......OP, you MUST pick your battles....

that was supposed tp be assaults, sorry :D

This. The X5 requires opportunities in order to shine. With high mobility means that you can choose when and where to enter into a battle as well as quitting when things are bad.

If you don't like SRM2, try swapping both of them for SSRM 2s. Granted not effective against mobs of ECM, but it's great when you want to chase some pesky non-ECM lights like the jenners.

#16 Joseph51494

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanton GA U.S.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hmmm that looks like the best choice ChaiXuan why don't we continue this in PM and I close the thread getting off topic anyways.

Never mind I cant close it only delete it so I will leave it open for discussion.

Edited by Joseph51494, 13 May 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#17 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostZeProme, on 13 May 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

This. The X5 requires opportunities in order to shine. With high mobility means that you can choose when and where to enter into a battle as well as quitting when things are bad.

If you don't like SRM2, try swapping both of them for SSRM 2s. Granted not effective against mobs of ECM, but it's great when you want to chase some pesky non-ECM lights like the jenners.

agreed with ZeProme

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

If he hasn't already, the OP should swap the SRM2s with Streaks. The stock X-5 loadout is excellent, arguably the best default config on any mech. The X-5 is ridiculously effective in the right situations. But it's still a light mech, so you gotta play smart.

#19 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostChaiXuan, on 13 May 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

but Darwin's guide to the Cicada is GREAT (thank you Darwin)..... but i would not count out the Cicada chassis because of JJ's......but if Jumpjets blow your skirt up, then i would go jenner chassis.....

Maybe soon we'll see the CDA-3F in the game. ES, FF, XL stock and can jump like a spider. It says they made it following the clan invasion.

For now though, you should get your jump kicks with a jenner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users