3 replies to this topic

#1 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

I have an intel i5-760 and an XFX 2gb 7850. Im happy where I am, but what is going to be the bottleneck for me down the road?

#2 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

CPU.

The i5 760 is a 1st gen Intel i series which are more or less the same as the top end Core2 Quads..not much really changed performance wise. 2nd Gen i series is where the performance jumped.

So what this means is, in CPU intensive games, of which are usualy online, will find the 1st bottleneck to be ur CPU asuming u dont try runnign graphics setitngs to high.

You will know when it happens becouse when u set graphics settings in a CPU intensive game to lowest, then bump it up to medium, and the FPS stays the same..it indicates a bottleneck somwhere other than ur GPU. An easier way of knowing is simply running a performance monitor with a OSD showing GPU usuage. if ur FPS drops and ur GPU usuage is no 99%, u have a bottleneck most likely being ur CPU.

If an upgrade is on ur mind, know that Intel's 4th gen are releasing in June (Haswell/ 4XXX series i5's and i7's)

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 16 May 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#3 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I think you're going to be fine for a while yet.

Unless of course you are just itching to spend $$$.

#4 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Nah, I'm good where I am. I dont feel that upgrade itch...yet. I will be interested to see the improvements of haswell over ivy though. Thanks guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users