Why Have People Suddenly Started Using "meta" When What They Mean Is Gameplay?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of the Eastern US

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

Why use meta when what you mean is game play? An actual example of the over used term "poptarting meta" would be taking a shot of vodka every time you killed a mech by jump-sniping. Meta gaming is gaming that occurs outside the game while still involving the game. After reading PGIs header to this forum i think its slightly odd that they consider anything that happens outside of the full screen combat part of the game to be out side of the game but that is at least closer to correct. Is the sudden prevalence of meta miss-use because of the forum restructuring or is it just that i notice it more now?

Some examples of things that are meta:

Drinking Jager when you see a jagermech.
Everything that they do over at NGNG.
Inner sphere wars, the Marik campaign or any other player run tournament.
Talking about what is and isn't meta on the forums of a game website after waking up in the middle of the night and realizing that you can't get back to sleep.

Some things that are NOT meta:

Lots of people jump-sniping is an aspect of game play not meta gaming.
Lots of people boating PPCs is an aspect of game play.
When people use the phrase "current meta game" they are almost never talking about meta gaming at all, they are usually talking about some aspect of game play.

I guess that's it.
**edit: phone messed this all up and i had to come out and fix it on the desktop.

Edited by Ohgodtherats, 18 May 2013 - 12:36 AM.

#2 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Many people use "metagame" to refer to overarching trends that don't necessarily ave anything to do with actual gameplay.

Others use the term to refer to the overall strategic choices made regardless of specific situation.

Your comment applies to people who mean the first, but is exactly wrong if people mean the second.

Not making a judgement call here. I play LOL and there, META refers to preferred lane composition which is only kinda gameplay. I think that definition is bleeding into here.

#3 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostOhgodtherats, on 18 May 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

Why use meta when what you mean is game play? An actual example of the over used term "poptarting meta" would be taking a shot of vodka every time you killed a mech by jump-sniping. Meta gaming is gaming that occurs outside the game while still involving the game. After reading PGIs header to this forum i think its slightly odd that they consider anything that happens outside of the full screen combat part of the game to be out side of the game but that is at least closer to correct. Is the sudden prevalence of meta miss-use because of the forum restructuring or is it just that i notice it more now?

Some examples of things that are meta:

Drinking Jager when you see a jagermech.
Everything that they do over at NGNG.
Inner sphere wars, the Marik campaign or any other player run tournament.
Talking about what is and isn't meta on the forums of a game website after waking up in the middle of the night and realizing that you can't get back to sleep.

Some things that are NOT meta:

Lots of people jump-sniping is an aspect of game play not meta gaming.
Lots of people boating PPCs is an aspect of game play.
When people use the phrase "current meta game" they are almost never talking about meta gaming at all, they are usually talking about some aspect of game play.

I guess that's it.
**edit: phone messed this all up and i had to come out and fix it on the desktop.

Short form: "Metagame" is a buzzword that less intelligent people read, think it makes them look smart, antd then use in every sentence that has room for it. Especially in MWO where there factually IS NO METAGAME at this time but only a playtestable engine. Referring to Poptarts and such as "the current metagame" simply displays a lack of knowledge of the words you choose :)

#4 Mounty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOrange, NSW, Australia

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

I'm trying to 'LIKE' these posts but the meta seems to be broken. :)

Edit: Zerberus...it must be your meta thats broken, I can like the OP's post just not yours.

Edited by Mounty, 18 May 2013 - 03:33 AM.

#5 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Let's get straight to the point of this thread--I am better educated than you, and probably have a bigger Yen-Lo Wang, too.

#6 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Everyone sure has gone META crazy these days. Lots of things that are not really META have been labeled META, I guess because it makes it easier for some people to understand aspects of gameplay. But does this mean we need a new word for META now that META means META and not META?

#7 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostAccursed Richards, on 18 May 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Let's get straight to the point of this thread--I am better educated than you, and probably have a bigger Yen-Lo Wang, too.

No no no no! *I* am smartier than you internet mans! I done gone to da skools of light bumps and it be teechen me many of da ting dat make me da smartierest. Dis be the evidence.

#8 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

The way most people I know refer to meta-game is defined at 2:57 of this video. To be honest I have not heard meta-game defined how pgi does it.

yes I do realize this is the eleventeenth time this video has been posted. sorry if you saw it already.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Meta is the new swag, fresh, dope and yolo.

It can be used in the following ways:

"Wow, you only have 2 kills and 100 damage. Do you even meta, bro?"
"A guy at work has started wearing suade shoes. They are so meta right now."
"The Maoist communist ideology became the new meta in East-Africa during the 1960's."

Also this

And this.

#10 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

People are using "Meta" as a word to describe the current gameplay paradigm. As long as I know what they mean by "Meta", I can deal with it. After all the bottom line is communication. I understand how misuse of a word can be irritating, but using "meta" to describe the FOTM playstyle has become the new meta. :)

#11 StingerPryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Sir , I don't believe you understand what Metagaming is when use by the gaming community. Let me clear this up for you so you can understand what people are talking about.

http://wiki.teamliqu...rcraft/Metagame

metagame literally means 'beyond the game' and refers to any planning, preparation, or maneuvering that a player does outside of actual gameplay to gain an advantage. The metagame has three major branches, which contain some overlap:[/color]
  • Preparation done before a match to exploit current trends in StarCraft.
  • Preparation done specifically to exploit an opponent's or map's style of play.
  • Strategic decisions designed specifically to exploit a player's reaction or weakened mental state in the future. These are also known as 'mind games' or 'psychological warfare'.

http://en.wikipedia....#Computer_games

Recently the term metagame has come to be used by PC Gaming shoutcasters to describe an emergent methodology that is a subset of the basic strategy necessary to play the game at a high level. The definitions of this term are varied but can include "pre-game" theory, behavior prediction, or "ad hoc strategy" depending on the game being played. An example of this would be in StarCraft where a player's previous matches with the same opponent have given them insight into that player's playstyle and may cause them to make certain decisions which would otherwise seem inferior.[/color]

I hope now you understand how pop sniping gameplay can also be metagaming depending on the context it is being used.

Edited by StingerPryde, 18 May 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#12 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 May 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Meta is the new swag, fresh, dope and yolo.

It can be used in the following ways:

"Wow, you only have 2 kills and 100 damage. Do you even meta, bro?"
"A guy at work has started wearing suade shoes. They are so meta right now."
"The Maoist communist ideology became the new meta in East-Africa during the 1960's."

Also this

And this.

Dude, I SO freaking meta.

#13 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostStingerPryde, on 18 May 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Sir , I don't believe you understand what Metagaming is when use by the gaming community. Let me clear this up for you so you can understand what people are talking about.

http://wiki.teamliqu...rcraft/Metagame

http://en.wikipedia....#Computer_games

I hope now you understand how pop sniping gameplay can also be metagaming depending on the context it is being used.

There was really no question of what people ment, I was just wondering where it all came from, which you have answered quite well. It seems this trend came from some rube at PC Gamer which we all know is filled full of earnest, thoughtful and not at all on the take reviewers. After all every game that comes out is clearly at least an 8 out of 10.

However, as far as the pop tart meta goes, even with that definition I sort of suspect that people are not spending a whole lot of time thinking about tactics and are instead getting a build together and then just jump sniping people "for the lulz".

Also, this post is sort of "for the lulz" as well.

#14 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Lulz are meta though. Or wait, maybe the lulz are a cleverly calculated gameplay design element..

My meta is twisted mang

#15 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image

#16 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 18 May 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Lulz are meta though. Or wait, maybe the lulz are a cleverly calculated gameplay design element..

My meta is twisted mang

That's TRUE! So tactics maybe not so meta but Lulz are very meta! See you learn so much on the forums.

#17 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

@ OP:

You mean....

Meta-Gameplay?

[sarcasm] Gotta love it when words only have ONE absolute meaning. Makes things SO much easier! [/sarcasm]

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

"Meta" is just a term for the "game within the game".

#19 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostXendojo, on 18 May 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

@ OP:

You mean....

Meta-Gameplay?

[sarcasm] Gotta love it when words only have ONE absolute meaning. Makes things SO much easier! [/sarcasm]

Dude how dare you use sarcasm tags in what is obviously a super serious meta discussion.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

There is no new meta...

Just metabots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users