#1 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

I like canyons, well built map!

First actual "Oh ****" moment in this game.

In a C4 with LRM20s and a med laser... cruising around, evolving battle line, slingin some LRMs, enemy PPC boat comes out, I drop into the canyon for protection, then as I make my way down the canyon for safety.. two boomjagers drop down in front of me..

"Oh ***t!"

I escaped with an ear intact and continued to fight, but that was an awesome fight.

I used canyon for cover
Boomjagers ambushed in a trap
(Jumpjets.. holy mother of save my ***) out of the canyon behind my own lines and the Jagers were killed after wreaking some havoc.

That was a thrill.

Good map PGI, would buy again.

#2 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Sounds exciting - can't wait to try it out.

#3 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

Canyon 10/10 Would play again. More of these caustic sized maps would be pretty sweet.

#4 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Love the new map. Plenty of cover, all the canyons with blind corners to use for escape or flanking or traps, the high ground has cover but also good sight lines, map size is excellent for this type of map. Pleaaaase weight it like you did with Alpine and Tourmaline! Played about ten matches and half of them were Forest Colony, three in River City Night, and only two in Canyon Network.

Edit: I realize ten matches isn't really a good sample size, so maybe I'm just unlucky. xD

Edited by Gralzeim, 21 May 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#5 Skalpel

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

LOVE this map! Large enough. Dynamic... :D Looks like the best one so far (at least for me) :ph34r:

#6 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostGralzeim, on 21 May 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

Love the new map. Plenty of cover, all the canyons with blind corners to use for escape or flanking or traps, the high ground has cover but also good sight lines, map size is excellent for this type of map. Pleaaaase weight it like you did with Alpine and Tourmaline! Played about ten matches and half of them were Forest Colony, three in River City Night, and only two in Canyon Network.

Edit: I realize ten matches isn't really a good sample size, so maybe I'm just unlucky. xD

Too much of a good thing and all that. :D

#7 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

So far this is a terrific map and I have to give MAJOR props to PGI for this one. There will be many EPIC battles waged on it in the future. Lots of sight lines, cover and almost any weapons load-out can be useful on this map. Right now all the battles seem to be happening in the center, it's a fairly large map, so hopefully that will change.

Nice job on this map PGI...

#8 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

It is an excellent map!

It has both good visuals and solid design. The map encourages use of terrain and a degree of "wandering around" - in a good way - to look for a winnable battle vs. the standard tactic of "everyone rush to the center for the ritual duel to the death."

Great job!

#9 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

The new map is awesome. Actually makes jump jets very viable.

#10 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Any screenshots for those of us stuck at work? =)

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Only had two matches on it so far, and died early so I haven't seen all of it. But it is a beautiful map. And it doesn't feel that big. You don't even need JJs to get up some of the ridges, so every mech can enjoy some three dimensional game play. So far, so good.

#12 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I love the map! The outer edges are VERY viable for scouts or flank maneuvers, and one game I was in my Raven 3L and I had 6/8 of the team targeted, with a rock obscuring the 7th, from a high point off to their right. It was a shame because we had no LRM boats, but just the sight of all of those enemies with no clue I was there was just awesome.

This map is very exciting to play, and the multi-level component adds a whole new aspect to 'Mech combat.

#13 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm glad they're finally getting their $250k worth.

#14 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

Best map so far. Everything that was wrong with previous maps is right in this map. At least that's how it looks so far.

#15 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Its a good map, you need jumpjets though.

Also, my only point of critique: Some of the "grasses", eh "plants that look like grass patches" would be what, 3 Meters high? Kinda breaks the "im in a 15 meter Mech" disbelief, but the map otherwise is neat!

#16 ivr56

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Great map
Dropped 4 times out of 6 once I got home.

Flight flow well, especially in conquest. Love the changes in elevation and how it suits all playstyles well.

#17 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Great map, great patch! Thank you PGI!

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

I noticed that lasers set the ground on fire briefly, which is a really cool little touch. I never noticed that on the other maps.

#19 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

I think Canyon is the only map I haven`t seen yet this patch, and now that I see this thread that`s slowly starting to **** me off :rolleyes:

Can`t wait :P

#20 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

The map it self I don't mind and actually like it. I do however have an issue wit hthe scale(not size of the map).

Seeing the "small shrubs" are huge! Imagine being outside of your mech as a normal person standing next to one. IT'S HUGE along with the other flora! When I am on this map I do not feel like I am in a big machanical death machine. I feel like I simply am the mech and the mech is no bigger then an actual person. I really hope the scale of things change.

Other than that nice map, lots of places to hide and move.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users