Mekteks New Game

21 replies to this topic

#1 redlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

any one else kinda excited about this. its not mechwarrior, but honestly after the current state of the game and the fail patches we get, i've given up.

http://www.kickstart...ault-0?ref=live

#2 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Definitely looks interesting. Seems like it'll be closer to Hawken, I'll check it out when it's done.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Postjakucha, on 22 May 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Definitely looks interesting. Seems like it'll be closer to Hawken, I'll check it out when it's done.

Imho, it's unfair to call it closer to Hawken when Heavy Gear did it earlier... :)

But it's not really that much like Hawken. The closest way to desribe it would actually be a PC version of Armored Core.

#4 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

I was eagerly anticipating their kickstarter, until I found out that it will be an arena only game. I have no interest in that. Any time a company mentions E sports :P , I have to think they are making the game for the top 1% of players who care more about twitch gaming than any type of substance, depth or longevity. I may still pledge a token amount just as a way to say thanks for the work that they did with MW4.
If they had committed to a single player game, I would have not hesitated to back them at a high tier.

#5 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

looked into it and meh

#6 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostAdridos, on 23 May 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Imho, it's unfair to call it closer to Hawken when Heavy Gear did it earlier... :P

But it's not really that much like Hawken. The closest way to desribe it would actually be a PC version of Armored Core.

Nooo... No that's... Holy crap you are wrong to the extent of saying Fillet Mignon is like, Tofu Chicken... The hell man.

Heavy Gear had its own series in 1997, it competed, rather well, against MechWarrior 2 and later Mechwarrior 3. The board game came out in 1994, it didn't compete as heavily as the PC games did, but it developed an amazing community and following.

Heavy gear would best be described as MechWarrior, but a little more realistic. The gears make -sense- as they are not monolithic like our mechs, and they have a lot of features to make them real world feasible, SMS allows them to use treads on their feet rather than walking, for long distances. They also use a combustion engine, similar to Mechwarriors ICE of course, but called V engines, and have limited area's of operation so require logistics lines for fuel and weapons. Tanks and infantry play a much larger roll in their combat theater, hover tanks being extremely lethal pieces, and Gear's main advantage over Hover Tanks etc is the fact that they are virtually 5 meter tall armored infantry, with the agility of a human being and the speed of a light/medium battletech mech

View PostTempered, on 23 May 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

I was eagerly anticipating their kickstarter, until I found out that it will be an arena only game. I have no interest in that. Any time a company mentions E sports :D , I have to think they are making the game for the top 1% of players who care more about twitch gaming than any type of substance, depth or longevity. I may still pledge a token amount just as a way to say thanks for the work that they did with MW4.
If they had committed to a single player game, I would have not hesitated to back them at a high tier.

It would have been cool if you actually did your research and READ the kickstarter, one of the pledge goals is that they will bring out a single player campaign in their 2014 launch. If you would have read more you would have seen regardless of them making this goal, there WILL be a campaign but it will take a larger team and an already profiting game, IE Heavy Gear Assault, the stretch goals go as far to state moving around outside of your mech at will... If you Gear actually goes down in hardcore arena modes you have to eject and try to escape with your Gear's AI core intact, so if you pledge now and actually help bring about what you want instead of being kind of misinformed/biased for no reason, you may get these features a lot sooner than later.

#7 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostValaska, on 23 May 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

It would have been cool if you actually did your research and READ the kickstarter, one of the pledge goals is that they will bring out a single player campaign in their 2014 launch. If you would have read more you would have seen regardless of them making this goal, there WILL be a campaign but it will take a larger team and an already profiting game, IE Heavy Gear Assault, the stretch goals go as far to state moving around outside of your mech at will... If you Gear actually goes down in hardcore arena modes you have to eject and try to escape with your Gear's AI core intact, so if you pledge now and actually help bring about what you want instead of being kind of misinformed/biased for no reason, you may get these features a lot sooner than later.

Hold on there just a minute spaz. I have followed their secret little project from probably before you were even aware of it. They have not committed to a single player game unless they reach like $10 million dollars in funding. I hardly call that a commitment because there is no way they will get that much funding. I get their news letters, read their forums since before they even announced their secret project. I have not seen anywhere that they are going to make a single player game unless they get the money. Maybe you have donated $10 million that I am not aware of?

#8 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Quote from kickstarter page regarding single player.

"That being said,if we are successful with our stretch goals, or with the commercial success of Heavy Gear Assault, a single player/multiplayer coop campaign, whether in the arena or in a military setting, is definitely within the realms of possibilities."

That is quite a hand full of maybe's.

#9 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

View Postredlance, on 22 May 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

any one else kinda excited about this. its not mechwarrior, but honestly after the current state of the game and the fail patches we get, i've given up.

http://www.kickstart...ault-0?ref=live

AHHH no!!!! HeavyGear1 & HeavyGear2 were awesome games still have them on CD and they play on Win8 and my new computer which says a lot about the older games. In fact I can still play MW1-MW4 also on win8 what's crap though is I cant play MWO on my rig hahaha that's how SHittty MWO is. As far as MekTek Goes they can suck a big Dickola most don't know it was these clowns that hacked the source code for MW4 mercs and basically told Microsoft to F off and in reprisal MW5 was scraped. If I ever came across the original 5 I would give them all a big smiley face.

Edited by GoManGo, 23 May 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

This is a company that has developed for MechWarrior 4 for how long? They have in video's stated, with the success of this game a single player will come out, but this is the basis of everything. I put a larger, more informative post on whats been going on. A bit spazzy, yeah I suppose! There was a lot of misinformation put up here just due to a lack of reading/any effort to find things out. You put in money for MWO, and you remember their long winded promises for faction warfare etc despite it not being in the game at the time, or really even looking like it ever would be? To be honest I still doubt they'll ever put a star map in!

Edited by Valaska, 23 May 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#11 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 23 May 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

As far as MekTek Goes they can suck a big Dickola most don't know it was these clowns that hacked the source code for MW4 mercs and basically told Microsoft to F off and in reprisal MW5 was scraped. If I ever came across the original 5 I would give them all a big smiley face.

That's ahhh... Not exactly true in any way shape/form. Seeing as Microsoft started developing Mech Assault rather than MechWarrior 5, and the later failure of Mech Assault 2:Lone Wolf in sales lead to Microsoft never giving enough time or thought to put out a MechWarrior 5. MekTek didn't "steal" the source code, Microsoft released a large amount of MW4's source code, the same time they released MechWarrior 2's source code...

MekTek was given access to MechWarrior 4 by Microsoft from what I remember, and they have -never- -EVER- released the source code.

#12 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostValaska, on 23 May 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Nooo... No that's... Holy crap you are wrong to the extent of saying Fillet Mignon is like, Tofu Chicken... The hell man.

Heavy Gear had its own series in 1997, it competed, rather well, against MechWarrior 2 and later Mechwarrior 3. The board game came out in 1994, it didn't compete as heavily as the PC games did, but it developed an amazing community and following.

Heavy gear would best be described as MechWarrior, but a little more realistic. The gears make -sense- as they are not monolithic like our mechs, and they have a lot of features to make them real world feasible, SMS allows them to use treads on their feet rather than walking, for long distances. They also use a combustion engine, similar to Mechwarriors ICE of course, but called V engines, and have limited area's of operation so require logistics lines for fuel and weapons. Tanks and infantry play a much larger roll in their combat theater, hover tanks being extremely lethal pieces, and Gear's main advantage over Hover Tanks etc is the fact that they are virtually 5 meter tall armored infantry, with the agility of a human being and the speed of a light/medium battletech mech

Sounds more interesting in that case.

#13 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

JUst download the Heavy Gear demo (or Heavy Gear 2 demo, but it doesn't work for me) and see for yourself.

#14 Solarmech

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

I don't get over here often and when I do I just lurk. But the post by GoManGo requires a response. What he said about Micrososft stopping production on MW5 because MekTek hacked MW4 is totaly incorrect. Microsoft fully endorsed MekTek's work on MW4 Mercs and went as far as to give us access to the source code and release the game for free. This sort of thing has never been done by Microsoft before (or since that I know of). It is a sign of the mutual respect that both organizations have for each other. MekTek's support of MW4 kept the franchise alive until MWO came about and that is something we have every right to be proud of.

The reason that Mechwarrior 5 production was stopped was that MechAssault sold something like 3 times as many units as Mechwarrior 4 did. Also Micorsosft was (and continues) to push the X-Box platform for games. And Halo has sold many more units than all the MechWarrior franchise has in it's entire existance. It was simple economics that killed MW5, nothing more. sm

#15 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationA contested planet

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

Heavy Gear was the Hawken to MW2Mercs. And I am totally down with it. I miss zipping around on my treads.

Edited by ValdnadHartagga, 24 May 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#16 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

View Postjakucha, on 23 May 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Sounds more interesting in that case.

Yeah I don't know why they are using the word E-Sports so much, its like "frozen dinner", not a good thing even though some frozen dinners are good.

View PostValdnadHartagga, on 24 May 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

Heavy Gear was the Hawken to MW2Mercs. And I am totally down with it. I miss zipping around on my treads.

The treads sure it introduce a neat mechanic to the MW2Mercs engine. For a full run down of info on the forum check out;

http://mwomercs.com/...00#entry2379600

#17 Purgatory22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

http://www.kickstart...-0/posts/490704

They just announced they will be doing a single player campaign from the start. It will be released in Episodes and will be focused on the War of the Alliance. Get ready for all out war!

#18 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

So bad

#19 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

O: Maybe it was my forum post to the devs! Probably not but would be nice haha. I will update my topic.

#20 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostPurgatory22, on 24 May 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

http://www.kickstart...-0/posts/490704

They just announced they will be doing a single player campaign from the start. It will be released in Episodes and will be focused on the War of the Alliance. Get ready for all out war!

No, they announced that they will do a single player campaign when they reach $800,000 in donations, which is just $200,000 less than what they have been saying all along. Also, it will be in episodes.

Now don't get me wrong, I honestly hope that they succeed and will be backing them myself. I just don't think they are going to get that much in donations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users