262 replies to this topic

#101 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, U.S

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Honestly, I've never played those other ones. But, once again, I really enjoy MWO and BattleTech. If those others play anything like Armored Core, I don't think I'd dig it. And do those game have the ability to rip a mech to pieces? And don't forget the lore factor.

Does honesty even matter? I just told you that I currently rank MWO as my number one and you didn't accept that as honest.

Edited by Khan Reaper, 28 May 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#102 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 23 May 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Congrats on all the good hype PGI, cheers!Posted Image

LOL!!! I remember making that.. looooooooool oh man. +1000

#103 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Honestly, I've never played those other ones. But, once again, I really enjoy MWO and BattleTech. If those others play anything like Armored Core, I don't think I'd dig it. And do those game have the ability to rip a mech to pieces? And don't forget the lore factor.

Does honesty even matter? I just told you that I currently rank MWO as my number one and you didn't accept that as honest.
You've never played... okay now I see where you're coming from. fair enough :).

#104 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yeah...not that I didn't want to play them. I believe that by the time I decided that I WOULD play Chromehounds, the game no longer supported MP. And I couldn't see buying Steel Battalion without the controller and didn't have the money for that at the time. That is another fact that gives MWO an edge in many peoples minds as well. I mean, sure the game isn't fleshed out just yet, but it is, IMO, a great game all around especially if you factor in how much it costs to play!

#105 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Yeah...not that I didn't want to play them. I believe that by the time I decided that I WOULD play Chromehounds, the game no longer supported MP. And I couldn't see buying Steel Battalion without the controller and didn't have the money for that at the time. That is another fact that gives MWO an edge in many peoples minds as well. I mean, sure the game isn't fleshed out just yet, but it is, IMO, a great game all around especially if you factor in how much it costs to play!

http://www.mektek.ne...-play-mw4mercs/
http://www.atomicgam...ll-free-release

SUPER DUPER ULTRA MEGA lazy link.

Install and launch the program you just downloaded
Go to "games available"
Select Mechwarrior 4 on the bottom
Right click and select "Install Game"
Wait until it shows up on "Installed Games"

#106 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Oooo...thanks Seph. I'm at work right now...but more Mech is good Mech! Is this your way of saying "Try this out and then still call MWO number one." (or number 19)?

Edited by Khan Reaper, 28 May 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#107 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Oooo...thanks Seph. I'm at work right now...but more Mech is good Mech! Is this your way of saying "Try this out and then still call MWO number one."?
It was more of a "if you try this and don't like it more than MW:O, I will lose all faith in humanity, and you will read about me on the news."

#108 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Does it still have an MP going on? I feel like I know the answer is "No", but I need to ask. Multiplayer is a big draw to MWO for me as well...as I prefer fighting humans than AI. However, I will certainly play the hell out of MW4 regardless as I enjoyed the solo play in MW2 (I think it was 2).

#109 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Does it still have an MP going on? I feel like I know the answer is "No", but I need to ask. Multiplayer is a big draw to MWO for me as well...as I prefer fighting humans than AI. However, I will certainly play the hell out of MW4 regardless as I enjoyed the solo play in MW2 (I think it was 2).

Would playing against me (and only me) count as MP :)? Otherwise I'm not sure, and I'd have to install it and deliberately play poorly to make you feel awesome about the game :). I wouldn't be surprised if people were still playing it, though.

If nothing else, Solaris and Duncan Fisher ALONE should be more than enough.

#110 Prophanity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Redact my posts all you like, it still doesn't change the fact that MWO does not deserve to be on that list.

As many others have pointed out we're not even at a release build yet, and calling what we have "Beta" is exceptionally generous. It's generally accepted that a game buld in beta is feature complete. We seem to be missing a rather large chunk.

Also yes, I'd put MW4 well before MWO as well. It's too bad the game has just not aged well.

#111 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostProphanity, on 29 May 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Redact my posts all you like, it still doesn't change the fact my opinion that MWO does not deserve to be on that list.

As many others have pointed out we're not even at a release build yet, and calling what we have "Beta" is exceptionally generous. It's generally accepted that a game buld in beta is feature complete. We seem to be missing a rather large chunk.

Also yes, I'd put MW4 well before MWO as well. It's too bad the game has just not aged well.

Fixed that for you, buddy.

#112 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Fair enough... except they said best of all time....

As in, "They could stop developing right this very instant and it would still be better than the vast majority of shooter games ever made". Which is uh... not true.

If we're talking "has the potential to be one of the top 25 shooters of all time", heck, sure, why not. But currently? Come on now. Its still in beta.

Are they saying the PGI devs are SO AWESOME that their BETA trumps almost any other FINISHED shooter EVER MADE?

Really?

The "They could stop developing right this very instant and it would still be better than the vast majority of shooter games ever made" is actually true. Not because of the godly brilliance of MWO, but because "vast majority of shooter games ever made" are crappy - or, at the very least, unplayable for more than one time.

I been gaming for 15 years, and I can't honesty come up with more than 15-20 shooters that were/are better than MWO in it's current state.

Dunno if it's the Battletech Space Magic or 'collecting' mechs got synced up with my mild OCD, but it works.

#113 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostFrostCollar, on 23 May 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Sounds like time for an MC sale to celebrate!

Free PCG skins for everyone playing would be awesome.

#114 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

I think that if the apocalypse occurred at this moment, and developers were no longer able to create video games, that once cast into the great beyond, I would ask myself "I wonder how MWO would have turned out?"

The fact is if you are going to create a list that says "greatest anything of all time", you can't go back decades to find those "anythings". It's foolish to think that if you could go back in time, and take MWO with you, that most people wouldn't say "This game is waaaay better than <insert 80's/90's video game title here>.

No one now a days, in most age ranges, when asked to name the greatest band ever would say "Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians". Video games, just like music, have evolved with time. It's fine and dandy to feel the nostalgia of a game we played when we were younger, but do you honestly think that Doom 1 was a better game than MWO? If you can ignore the graphics in a game like Doom, how can you say anything bad about the graphics of MWO? This goes for most of the "issues" that follow MWO. I remember a time when taking a rocket launcher onto a map in any shooter was "cheese". Where was the balance back then? You know where it was? No one cared. That's where it was. We played when we were younger and didn't even see the bad graphics, hell, we thought those graphics were on par with reality (Mortal Kombat 1 anyone?).

And then there is, of course, the fact that MWO lore is deeper than most video games currently around. Many of us can see past "issues" because after we log off MWO, we pick up a BattleTech novel and continue our "adventure". I am currently reading "Way of the Clans", and it just feels like MWO all day every day for me. It's nice to have the lore in mind when piloting. It turns the game into that much more of a simulator.

As I've said previously, I don't think that it's the greatest game of all time, but it's certainly the greatest game of "now time" for me. And if I had to pick a spot for it based on what is currently on the market, I would have no problem placing it six spots from the bottom of the list, and that is with MWO being my current number one.

I'm pretty sure in a best of all time list you'd see an awful lot of Pink Floyd, Tupac, Led Zepplin, and the Beatles. Also, this game isn't even close to best of now, it's buggy, imbalanced, shallow, and requires little skill. You're constructing a game that this could be in your head and proclaiming it as reality. This game isn't top 25 of the last 10 years, let alone of all time.

View Postssm, on 29 May 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

The "They could stop developing right this very instant and it would still be better than the vast majority of shooter games ever made" is actually true. Not because of the godly brilliance of MWO, but because "vast majority of shooter games ever made" are crappy - or, at the very least, unplayable for more than one time.

I been gaming for 15 years, and I can't honesty come up with more than 15-20 shooters that were/are better than MWO in it's current state.

Dunno if it's the Battletech Space Magic or 'collecting' mechs got synced up with my mild OCD, but it works.

A game that doesn't even have a recconect or mouse sensitivity function is better than the majority of released and finished games? Hue.

#115 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure in a best of all time list you'd see an awful lot of Pink Floyd, Tupac, Led Zepplin, and the Beatles. Also, this game isn't even close to best of now, it's buggy, imbalanced, shallow, and requires little skill. You're constructing a game that this could be in your head and proclaiming it as reality. This game isn't top 25 of the last 10 years, let alone of all time.

A game that doesn't even have a recconect or mouse sensitivity function is better than the majority of released and finished games? Hue.

How long since you played, again? While the reconnect feature isn't in yet, mouse sensitivity is. Also, in my opinion, Tupac doesn't belong on any "best of" list.

#116 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostBilbo, on 29 May 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

How long since you played, again? While the reconnect feature isn't in yet, mouse sensitivity is. Also, in my opinion, Tupac doesn't belong on any "best of" list.

Did they add mouse sensitivity in the joystick patch? I had thought they skipped that exact thing, I remember some level of consternation from posters about it. Fine, change mouse sensitivity to "visual setting sliders that actually do something". Or "A music on off feature that controls actual music instead of the ethereal concept of music". Or "in game items that aren't placeholder after like 8 months".

I play a bit after every patch, usually patch day, until I can't handle the game randomly shifting between 40 and 10 fps because PGI can't program for dual graphics hardware setups. I ragequit at the awful performance after a few matches.

Edited by Shumabot, 29 May 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#117 Stone Profit

• Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

I ragequit

Over and over and over. Makes me lol. lol so very much.
Meanwhile, the rest of us are enjoying the game.

#118 Prophanity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 29 May 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Fixed that for you, buddy.

I see you're still on that first step of denial. Don't worry dude, we're here for you.

#119 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

I think that if the apocalypse occurred at this moment, and developers were no longer able to create video games, that once cast into the great beyond, I would ask myself "I wonder how MWO would have turned out?"

The fact is if you are going to create a list that says "greatest anything of all time", you can't go back decades to find those "anythings". It's foolish to think that if you could go back in time, and take MWO with you, that most people wouldn't say "This game is waaaay better than <insert 80's/90's video game title here>.

No one now a days, in most age ranges, when asked to name the greatest band ever would say "Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians". Video games, just like music, have evolved with time. It's fine and dandy to feel the nostalgia of a game we played when we were younger, but do you honestly think that Doom 1 was a better game than MWO? If you can ignore the graphics in a game like Doom, how can you say anything bad about the graphics of MWO? This goes for most of the "issues" that follow MWO. I remember a time when taking a rocket launcher onto a map in any shooter was "cheese". Where was the balance back then? You know where it was? No one cared. That's where it was. We played when we were younger and didn't even see the bad graphics, hell, we thought those graphics were on par with reality (Mortal Kombat 1 anyone?).

And then there is, of course, the fact that MWO lore is deeper than most video games currently around. Many of us can see past "issues" because after we log off MWO, we pick up a BattleTech novel and continue our "adventure". I am currently reading "Way of the Clans", and it just feels like MWO all day every day for me. It's nice to have the lore in mind when piloting. It turns the game into that much more of a simulator.

As I've said previously, I don't think that it's the greatest game of all time, but it's certainly the greatest game of "now time" for me. And if I had to pick a spot for it based on what is currently on the market, I would have no problem placing it six spots from the bottom of the list, and that is with MWO being my current number one.

When making a list of best of all time you can't really make a side by side comparison. You have to look at what each brought to the genre. I like MW:O(hate the forum structure but that's another topic), but it just does not fall into the same league as Doom, Quake, Unreal, Duke Nukem, and Half-Life. If you wanted to use the MW franchise as a whole then I could see its place in the best of, but MW:O by itself is far too young and untested to be on the list.

Taking any game back in time to make a side by side comparison is pretty silly since any modern game would looks leaps and bounds better than a game from 1995, but then again a game from back then would still probably win seeing as someone in 1995 could actually run Doom on their PC and any modern game would not.

#120 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostBilbo, on 29 May 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Tupac belongs on a list of 'best of' hip hop artisits

but to rank any hip hop artists with the likes of pink floyd is an abomination

I'd get flamed on most any other forum for saying this, but hip hop is just a lesser form of music.

overproduced, under-inspired.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users