262 replies to this topic

#121 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostProphanity, on 29 May 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

I see you're still on that first step of denial. Don't worry dude, we're here for you.

Opinions =/= fact. You are welcome to your opinion but that does not necessarily make it true, nor does it make anyone else's opinion any less valid than your own.

#122 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 29 May 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Tupac belongs on a list of 'best of' hip hop artisits

but to rank any hip hop artists with the likes of pink floyd is an abomination

I'd get flamed on most any other forum for saying this, but hip hop is just a lesser form of music.

overproduced, under-inspired.

Is "hip hop" a code word for "MW:O" :P?

#123 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostStone Profit, on 29 May 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Over and over and over. Makes me lol. lol so very much.
Meanwhile, the rest of us are enjoying the game.

Those of you who are left, or is 10 thousand people an impressive number to you? Last I checked games usually get shut down when they have five times that for being "unsustainable". Wanting a game to have hardware compatibility and being angry that the developers can't even target wildly popular OEMs hardware platforms doesn't make me funny or entitled, it makes this game kinda pathetic for its failure to deliver.

Edited by Shumabot, 29 May 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#124 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Those of you who are left, or is 10 thousand people an impressive number to you? Last I checked games usually get shut down when they have five times that for being "unsustainable". Hope you like your boys club while it lasts (not long if they don't fix their games problems).

Where, exactly, did you get this number?

#125 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 29 May 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Tupac belongs on a list of 'best of' hip hop artisits

but to rank any hip hop artists with the likes of pink floyd is an abomination

I'd get flamed on most any other forum for saying this, but hip hop is just a lesser form of music.

overproduced, under-inspired.

Ok grandpa.

View PostBilbo, on 29 May 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Where, exactly, did you get this number?

Number of contest participants doesn't seem to break 10k when they post the metrics (and since they aren't opt in those are just snapshots of who was playing for a few weeks), I see the same people in game constantly (regardless of time of day), and the games forum community is tiny. The game doesn't recruit new players well, the developers have admitted that many times. If they don't scrape together a bigger following post launch this games going to die quickly, the most diehard BT fans are only going to buy so many 40 dollar useless hero mechs before even they stop.

Their recurring logins seem to hover around 10k, their total accounts are much higher, but then no one really plays this game past a few hours that isn't already involved in BT fandom and those players are already playing.

Edited by Shumabot, 29 May 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#126 Stone Profit

• Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Those of you who are left, or is 10 thousand people an impressive number to you? Last I checked games usually get shut down when they have five times that for being "unsustainable". Wanting a game to have hardware compatibility and being angry that the developers can't even target wildly popular OEMs hardware platforms doesn't make me funny or entitled, it makes this game kinda pathetic for its failure to deliver.

baseless accusations with no data to back them up. Par for the course.
Claiming I called someone entitled or funny when I did no such thing. Also par for the course.
In short, Trolling. Keep up the, uh, work!

Edited by Stone Profit, 29 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#127 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

The only statistics I've seen released where for the Be a Hero tournament which said ~8000 participants joined by over 100,000 others. All the tournaments are opt-in. If you could kindly point me to any other information you have on MWO's player base, that would be great.

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Ok grandpa.

Number of contest participants doesn't seem to break 10k when they post the metrics (and since they aren't opt in those are just snapshots of who was playing for a few weeks), I see the same people in game constantly (regardless of time of day), and the games forum community is tiny. The game doesn't recruit new players well, the developers have admitted that many times. If they don't scrape together a bigger following post launch this games going to die quickly, the most diehard BT fans are only going to buy so many 40 dollar useless hero mechs before even they stop.

Their recurring logins seem to hover around 10k, their total accounts are much higher, but then no one really plays this game past a few hours that isn't already involved in BT fandom and those players are already playing.

#128 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

[REDACTED]

View PostBilbo, on 29 May 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

The only statistics I've seen released where for the Be a Hero tournament which said ~8000 participants joined by over 100,000 others. All the tournaments are opt-in. If you could kindly point me to any other information you have on MWO's player base, that would be great.

How is a tournament that just happens if you're logged in since it's a glorified leaderbaord for the games entire population "opt in"?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 29 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.
removed material in violation of ode of Conduct

#129 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm happy for PGI but the list is bogus because:

1: Half Life 2 isn't number 1
2: Quake III is above Unreal Tournament
3: Unreal Tournament isn't in the top 5
4: FEAR is on the list (I mean, I love FEAR but really?)
5: Quake 1 or 2 isn't on the list
6: Max Payne 3 is on the list
7: Bioshock is on the list (good atmosphere and story, bad shooter mechanics)
8: Wolfenstein isn't in the top 10
9: Any game less than 5 years old is invalid because of "...of all time"

#130 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

How is a tournament that just happens if you're logged in since it's a glorified leaderbaord for the games entire population "opt in"?

If you don't opt in, you don't get on the leaderboard. Pretty simple, really. For the tournament I mentioned, 8000 or so opted in, and they were joined by over 100,000 others over the course of the weekend. Now, I can't make any judgments concerning MWO's overall player base based on this information, but I don't pretend to try.

#131 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 29 May 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'm happy for PGI but the list is bogus because:

1: Half Life 2 isn't number 1
2: Quake III is above Unreal Tournament
3: Unreal Tournament isn't in the top 5
4: FEAR is on the list (I mean, I love FEAR but really?)
5: Quake 1 or 2 isn't on the list
6: Max Payne 3 is on the list
7: Bioshock is on the list (good atmosphere and story, bad shooter mechanics)
8: Wolfenstein isn't in the top 10
9: Any game less than 5 years old is invalid because of "...of all time"

Deus Ex and Half life 1 aren't on it, both are top contenders for the #1 spot of best games of all time, not just shooters. MWO isn't even released and just went though a period where half of users with NVIDIA cards couldn't even play without being given seizures.

Also, look at #2. They payed even more than IGP did.

#132 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Deus Ex and Half life 1 aren't on it, both are top contenders for the #1 spot of best games of all time, not just shooters. MWO isn't even released and just went though a period where half of users with NVIDIA cards couldn't even play without being given seizures.

Also, look at #2. They payed even more than IGP did.

10: Half Life isn't on the list.

There. I can't believe I forgot that. I would honestly put HL1 and HL2 as numbers 1 and 2 on the list. HL1 is perfect.

#133 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

No article that states that "Phlanetschide 2 is 3rd bescht schooter of ahl time" (while putting Battlefield 3 on place 12 AND leaving any other Battlefield outside of 1942 out of the list) can be taken seriously. The author obviously never played the game for more than a week 'cause while the game has lots of options and a nice tactical component on first glance, it's basically a pay to win rip off machine (before you guys flame me to hell: aircrafts are unplayable and have no chance of survival without upgrades) because it takes 2-3 weeks to grind a SINGLE gun and if you want any variety of weapons (including both AA and AT heat seekers instead of a very limited unguided RPG) you'll have to pay 6-7$ for each. It also lacks lasting appeal, it's simply a huge meat grinder without any purpose because the map never resets and it is utterly impossible to gain even a temporary decisive victory with you faction so you are basically reduced to "get lots of xp to grind more weapons". That works well with games like CoD or Battlefield 3 but not with a game that gives you 0.8 "Certs" for two kills when you need 1000 Certs to unlock a single weapon in the game.

It's also quite clear that the author gives games that are less than 3 years old too much credit while leaving out many classic games which belong on any best of list when it comes to shooters (Halo, Deus Ex and Half-Life 1 are missing and Max Payne 3 instead of MP 2, WTH???)...

MW:O is a solid game but final reviews should be reserved until the game had it's full release.

Edited by Ragnar Darkmane, 29 May 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#134 Stone Profit

• Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Oh look, the mindless gold stone profits calling me a troll again. How many players do they have captain brilliance? I'm basing these numbers off of what they display to us, the current state of their game, and logic. You know why there's no data? Because they pulled their visible player count numbers WHEN THEY STARTED TO TANK. This is a fremium, if you have the population numbers you flaunt them, showing you have a growing population brings in more people because they'll be confidant the game is healthy. When they go dark on the numbers that's never good. Also, contest entries are a pretty good metric for population size considering it's their total participating (thus total log-ins) over a weekly period.

Also, if you're not saying I'm funny or entitled why do I make you lol so much? Are you trying to throw some sort of counter-persecution complex at me? Wah.

you dont make me lol. People who ragequit especially repeatedly make me lol. Your argument against me
has the same flaw as your argument against the success against this game. Suppositions which you think are logic. Logic says theyre hiring additional staff members because the game is doing well. Logic is not "they wont tell me how many people are playing so theyre going under!"
The number of people who participate in the tournys is NOT the same as the number of people who logged in. Another fail. I played during all the tournys but didnt bother to opt in because i dont care.
perhaps an intro to logic course is needed.
You should also note that i have no need to insult anyone to make my point. When someone needs to call names it shows that they havent a leg to stand on and know it. Ie trolling.

Edited by Stone Profit, 29 May 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#135 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Let's please reserve this thread for discussing the News article, MW:O, and associated material. Please try to avoid discussing particular MW:O Users... thanks :)

#136 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I'm a little curious: To those of you who think MW:O deserves a spot on the top 25 OF ALL TIME list: When were you born? Seriously, I'm curious.

#137 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Reserving a spot in this topic because there about 10,000 words I could say about this, but the energy just isn't there.

I just want to point out that UT is #22 on this list and MWO is #19. I'd also like to point out that system shock isn't on it, yet bioshock is. I'd also like to point out that Duke3D is not present, neither is Quake 1, neither is Red Faction (first one was very innovative), neither is any serious sam (which I wouldn't put in a top 20 list but it's hell of a lot more of a shooter than MWO), that Starsiege: Tribes isn't on the list, neither is Tribes 2, or Tribes Vengeance, but only Tribes: Ascend (despite it being arguably the weakest in the series). No Jedi Knight games are on the list (Dark Forces, JKII, etc), no DESCENT is on the list, the first farcry is missing, the first max payne is missing, the first CoD is missing (honestly, the first one actually was groundbreaking in 2003).

I could go on. Ghost Recon isn't on the list, Rainbow Six isn't on the list, Crysis 1 isn't on the list, Doom 2 / TNT / Plutonia, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Wolf3d, Shadow Warrior, MoH:AA, Doom 3, Deus Ex, etc.

And TF2 was #1. Again, Unreal Tournament is at #22. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is at #6.

I could probably write a 20 page MLA format essay on why Halo might be the worst thing to ever happen to the FPS genre, and I would still put the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved above MWO.

#138 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

There is no possible way this *********** of a game has been voted anything other than 2013's biggest letdown. Something fishy is going on. I wonder if advertising dollars buys you a spot on a countdown list?

#139 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostVolume, on 29 May 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Reserving a spot in this topic because there about 10,000 words I could say about this, but the energy just isn't there.

I just want to point out that UT is #22 on this list and MWO is #19. I'd also like to point out that system shock isn't on it, yet bioshock is. I'd also like to point out that Duke3D is not present, neither is Quake 1, neither is Red Faction (first one was very innovative), neither is any serious sam (which I wouldn't put in a top 20 list but it's hell of a lot more of a shooter than MWO), that Starsiege: Tribes isn't on the list, neither is Tribes 2, or Tribes Vengeance, but only Tribes: Ascend (despite it being arguably the weakest in the series). No Jedi Knight games are on the list (Dark Forces, JKII, etc), no DESCENT is on the list, the first farcry is missing, the first max payne is missing, the first CoD is missing (honestly, the first one actually was groundbreaking in 2003).

I could go on. Ghost Recon isn't on the list, Rainbow Six isn't on the list, Crysis 1 isn't on the list, Doom 2 / TNT / Plutonia, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Wolf3d, Shadow Warrior, MoH:AA, Doom 3, Deus Ex, etc.

And TF2 was #1. Again, Unreal Tournament is at #22. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is at #6.

I could probably write a 20 page MLA format essay on why Halo might be the worst thing to ever happen to the FPS genre, and I would still put the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved above MWO.

This right here, exactly.

There are way too many innovative and unique shooters of all time for MW:O to be on a top 25 of all time list when it's still in a beta.

#140 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

How come I haven't seen much (any?) mention of EARTHSIEGE, the true shining star of the "siege" games!?

48 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 48 guests, 0 anonymous users