How many heads should a Corp count?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hey folks, just a question to make a proper decision...i´d like to reactivate my former MercCorp, and i think i can get some of my old comrades together...but...what does the experienced merc-captain say? would it make sense to start a whole new company, that gets 1 or maybe 2 lances together?

I know there have been many small units in the past..but how many of ´em survived?
would it be practicable to cooperate with other companies? what´cha say? what is it, that a startup company needs? ^^

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 06 June 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#2 soulfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

hard to say until we see the game and how it works with mercenaries. For all we know at the moment it maybe just as well to have just a couple of lances than to have a couple of battalions. Hopefully there will be a mixed group of merc contracts anything from a lance or two to full companies and you can bid on them or whatever. One thing to remember is smaller you are the less your overhead costs. The better friends you are the fewer you are the less the drama sometimes. The other thing about small companies is you can always find other small ones you can combine with. Large units tend to have the opposite happen eventually little Pookie thinks he should be a general but there are already too many so he gets frustrated and talks some other to join with him to make a new group promiising all that come with him high ranks in his new group. That group leaves and now the Original big groups gets smaller. I would say see how the game will work , see if there is any advantage in being a large group.

#3 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

yep thx, i guess i´ll take your advice :blink:

#4 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

As Soulfire said, it's tough to say atm.

We know the game will permit 4v4, 8v8 and 12v12 matches at launch. So in theory, a merc corps of a single lance should be workable, assuming you can get all four members on at the same time. I suspect most merc corps will have 10-20 members. The larger ones will have 100+ members.

#5 Rock n Roll

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

I used to run a small Merc unit that did very well. Always had at least a lance and at our largest got to about 2 companies of pilots. In the end, we found the sweet spot for us to be between 8 and 12 pilots who really got along well and worked together well. I think player cohesion is the most important part of running a unit. Whatever size you can manage that at will probably vary from group to group.

#6 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

If you can get 12 people on line at the same time you can bid for planet contracts. If you have less, then I am guessing you can just play as a group in the house drops and join other randomly selected groups/singles in the match making system.

#7 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

well thanks for all the response so far, it pretty much covers what i was expecting... let´s see if i get it done ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users