Don't Say "gg" Or (Good Game) If It Wasn't

146 replies to this topic

#1 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

It's just rubbing salt in people's wounds if you roll some team 6-2 or 8-0 and then say "GG" at the end of the match. It wasn't a good game, and you know it. Just say nothing.

If you're trying to be a jerk, by all means continue to say it. As it stands though, it's the equivalent of some top tier college football team unloading some 63-0 score on middle-southwestern appalachian state and then congratulating them on how hard they played.

#2 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

Word.

#3 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Disagree , though I rarely say GG to begin with.

This is called good sportsmanship.

Soccer teams and tennis players for example shake hands after the game, regardless of how one sided it was.

Old school quake and CS players do the same.

Attempting to be a civilised sportsman should not depend on how much you enjoyed the game.

With all due respect and w/o wanting to insuniate anything about you specifically, the problem is people getting their panties in a bunch when they lose and ******* in the wheaties of those that actually play for FUN and not to win at every cost with threads like these.

#4 Zieten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

the loser offers a "GG", not the winner.

#5 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

8 - 0 = "GG all" / "GG close" :)

Edited by Ghost Rider LSOV, 28 May 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

You never know, maybe it was a good game from their perspective.

Ive had that happen, have a great game, lots of damage, and take a ton as well but manage to last the whole match, only to see 2-3 of my teammates with 90% hp left lol

#7 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostZerberus, on 28 May 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

Disagree , though I rarely say GG to begin with.

This is called good sportsmanship.

Soccer teams and tennis players for example shake hands after the game, regardless of how one sided it was.

Old school quake and CS players do the same.

Attempting to be a civilised sportsman should not depend on how much you enjoyed the game.

With all due respect and w/o wanting to insuniate anything about you specifically, the problem is people getting their panties in a bunch when they lose and ******* in the wheaties of those that actually play for FUN and not to win at every cost with threads like these.

Exactly. It's just good sportsmanship. I say GG if it was a good hard fought game. I don't say it when it wasn't but if I did, it's just that, good sportsmanship. BUT. If you say GG Close and it's 8-0, then yea, I agree with you.

PS. You forgot Hockey teams that all skate by each other and bump gloves, especially during the Stanley Cup tournament.

#8 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostNgamok, on 28 May 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

PS. You forgot Hockey teams that all skate by each other and bump gloves, especially during the Stanley Cup tournament.

That is for their own team.

The other team gets a very different kind of "glove bump" lol.

They do shake hands at the end of the series though.

Edited by Roughneck45, 28 May 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#9 Piners

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Yeah... this has nothing to do with the forum you are posting in. Try the barracks.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

I prefer to say "Good Steamroll" because that's much closer to what actually happened than GG. This usually shuts people right up, because I keep track of who consistently wins and nobody (not even Word of Lowtax goonsquads) ever says GG after I write Good Steamroll. It's pretty funny how powerful it is.

PS: Something I've observed is that a lot of specific players who win will say GG but they don't say GG when they lose. So much sportsmanship, brah.

Edited by FupDup, 28 May 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#11 Spyder228

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

On a related note can we all abstain from "GLHF" before matches? I'm going to scorch your face off with laser beams, I don't want you trying to glad hand me

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostSpyder228, on 28 May 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

On a related note can we all abstain from "GLHF" before matches? I'm going to scorch your face off with laser beams, I don't want you trying to glad hand me

My counter to that is "Bad luck, have boredom."

#13 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...nd/page__st__40

lots of mixed emotions about saying GG
People say GG regardless to be sportman like
People who got rofl-stomped by people who say GG feel like they are rubbing it in
GG it's a grey area in terms of when to say it how to say it and the meaning behind it, its different for everybody
Freedom of speech comes in so people can say GG when ever they want to
You can make GG more personal by actually typing it differently (i.e, great game. nice work. that was fun, good fight. etc)
Sometimes you will say GG because you thought it was a good game, remember there could be someone who feels just like you do right now and might think "no it wasn't!"

Basically, say GG if the game was good for you, if you had fun. Do it to be sincere and sportsman like. Don't say it to get under people's skin and you'll always see it in a good way when other people say it. Otherwise, you'll have to just ignore them.

I just try to think that as long as the game was good for someone and I didn’t die within the first 2 and a half minutes it is good for me too.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 28 May 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#14 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

The new to the internet people get offended when a classic closing line from every game is uttered?

Yeah, I used to do direct connections via a dial-up modem to other players for games. GG was just good form, whether or not your LOLBUTTHURTISFILTERED.

Edited by Lee Ving, 28 May 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#15 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have a habit saying GG after a match, stomp or not. It is not an analytic statement. ;)

#16 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

I try to say GG only when I lose.

#17 Faithsfall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 363 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

If i'm on a side that steamrolls the opposite team i will say gg in the team chat, if we win or lose after a hell of a fight where your're down to only 1 or 2 mechs left standing then GG in general chat.

#18 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

I say gg even when we lose and I am dead. Sometimes I have to give props to the other team. I also will say "good kill!" if someone takes me out quickly or outwits me. And yes I use GG on wins but only when the game felt competitive.

#19 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 28 May 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

It's just rubbing salt in people's wounds if you roll some team 6-2 or 8-0 and then say "GG" at the end of the match. It wasn't a good game, and you know it. Just say nothing.

If you're trying to be a jerk, by all means continue to say it. As it stands though, it's the equivalent of some top tier college football team unloading some 63-0 score on middle-southwestern appalachian state and then congratulating them on how hard they played.

I say GG when I win. I say GG when I lose. I say "GG close" when the other team brags about pug stomping and in turn get stomped. Stop being such a hurt loser. Take your losses like a mechwarrior and move on.

Why was a thread created about this seriously. And a META game discussion? Pfft. Waste of forum space.

#20 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Yes, because Major League sports teams sulk off and skip the handshake at the end if they lose by a certain amount.

Oh, wait, no they don't, because part of Good Sportsmanship is Winning and Losing with Grace and Composure. Dignity.

Stomp or not, you @#$%ing say Good Game because that is what we have been doing since Little League and 1st Grade Gym class.

You always encourage the losing team, and you should never be ungracious in victory or defeat.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users