We Are Not Part Of Scaninavia (Finland)

22 replies to this topic

#1 wauweli

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Since Finland is not part of scandinavia, and world Karkkila and Vantaa are part of Lyran Commonwealth i encourage all finnish players to join Steiner.

PS. Do you really want your alter ego to pay you milk with kronor and speak swedish.

#2 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

The culture of the Free Rasalhague Republic is an amalgam of the original settlers from the Scandinavian regions of old Terra and the Japanese dominated culture of the Draconis Combine that conquered them in the early 24th century. The Combines attempts to dilute the native culture of the Rasalhague worlds were somewhat successful, but failed to completely supplant the local attitudes and culture.[5]

Good thing that the population is from the Scandinavian Regions of Terra, and not just Scandinavia. :D

Steiner on the other hand, has a heavy culture of German, British, Italian, and French descent... you know... southerners.

Just sayin'.

#3 MacKoga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

1)
Wauweli,
The Free Rasalhague Republic has a much broader population mix than what you're suggesting. People that would be classically thought of as part of the DC or the Lyrian Commonwealth have become part of the Free Rasalhague Republic.

The FRR is a compelling faction choice for its unusual level of political and social freedoms, mixed with its underdog status and impending ground-zero battlefront.

2)

View Postwauweli, on 29 May 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Since Finland is not part of scandinavia, and world Karkkila and Vantaa are part of Lyran Commonwealth i encourage all finnish players to join Steiner.

PS. Do you really want your alter ego to pay you milk with kronor and speak swedish.

So.... how's promoting player segregation by real-life ethnicity going?

#4 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

I do find it somewhat curious that there are at least 4-5 worlds on the map with Finnish names, and 100% of those are in the Lyran Commonwealth region, which of course leaves none for the FRR. For some reason it seems Finns are Steiners while others from Scandinavian regions (even Estonians who are even further away from the actual geographical Scandinavia) have FRR to go to.

#5 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I think its funny that Finland and Sweden don't even exist any longer in the current battle tech universe. In fact they are simply small plots of land on a relatively unimportant ComStar controlled world. Not to mention large swathes of the FRR are a weird combination of Japanese and Swedish culture which has no real world comparison.

#6 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

Took a long time for that scout to tell us that :(

#7 Caleb Brightmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 196 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

First came Steiner words to take our people ...... they didn't work.

Then came Steiner mechs to kill our people.........they didn't work.

Words again.....(You can fill in what goes here) Helpful Hint: Read above :)

History repeats itself :(

#8 Tedarin

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I was born in Finland and speak Swedish, so I don't really think my alter ego will have a problem with that... ...and I drink mead.

#9 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Mitä turhaan säätämään, ihan tarpeeksi lähellä skandinaviaa kuitenkin ollaan että FRRään kuuluminen on melkolailla perusteltua.

Translation for less civilized language speakers: Börk börk börk.

Edited by VXJaeger, 30 May 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#10 Trufast

• PipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

Our finnish players are too good for Steiner.

#11 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostTrufast, on 31 May 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

Our finnish players are too good for Steiner.

Dunno 'bout that, but we survived Sovjet attacks on Winter- and Continuum war, and we will survive Clans no matter what they do. If we don't, we take every ******' attacker possible with us.

Edited by VXJaeger, 31 May 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#12 DaedalusI

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

A lot of nerve marching into somebody else's territory to preach. Have some manners!

#13 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Relevant:
http://satwcomic.com...the-north-works

#14 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

It is ok, some part of Finland is seeing the same conservative/nationalistic motion that have been gripping the rest of europe the last couple of years... So they are very touchy about the whole Sweden thing.

But the OP is right, not many "fin" worlds in FRR.. Or at all in all honestly.

#15 Dexter Herbivore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 241 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Scan-inavians? You're from the Free Virus Scanner Republic?

#16 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

Man, I understand your feelings, cause Ukraine was under Russian rulership in last 300 years. So no way I'll be in alliance with Russians.
But don't you think that FRR much closer in terms of culture to Finland than Steiner?

Edited by Warge, 26 June 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#17 Agent CraZy DiP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAZ - USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

All I can is a Steiner I want to kill. :D

#18 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

This can not stand! I Demand Steiner immediately cease their unlawful occupation of these worlds and return them to the fold of the FRR where they belong with their kinsman!

We all know that both Steiner and Kurtia desire our worlds! They take our young men into their military and force them to fight in far away worlds because the Martial spirit is fast deserting their decadent worthless progeny. They lust after our women and boys... come to think about it they lust for our sheep and goats too!

I know of what I speak, I suffered under the tyranny and oppression of those Teutonic Twats the Steiner's and that greedy pillager the Duke of Tamar.

So,by all means put your chains back on and deliver your lands and children to the Steiner scum, they may even toss you a crust of bread like they have that turncoat above!

#19 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

I think it's more just oversight on the part of the creators of Battletech. Finland is always overlooked, never considered in anything on a global scale (No matter interstellar), and few people know anything about it.

I say this as a half-Finn Canadian. :D

#20 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

It's gonna be a cold day in hell before I bow down to the oppressors from south or east. We here in the north rule ourselves. Besides, even the ancient kings of Norway were descendants of great Finnish heros from the time of myths. We've always been a part of Scandinavia, anyone claiming otherwise is a foreign dissident.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users