Lazers Vs Pulse - Light Mechs

7 replies to this topic

#1 MattyG

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

is there one type of lazer that's more beneficial than another when running a light mech?

I'm thinking the pulse would be good for taking out components rather than just raking their whole mech with regular lasers.

Discuss!

#2 LobsterPete

• PipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostMattyG, on 29 May 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

is there one type of lazer that's more beneficial than another when running a light mech?

I'm thinking the pulse would be good for taking out components rather than just raking their whole mech with regular lasers.

Discuss!

I like using MPL on my spider due to the fact I that they are shorter in duration. I can swing around the rear, put the pulse lasers on target and the get out of Dodge. If I use normal medium lasers I have to slow down a bit just to keep the laser on target.

It's all how you play too. I usually like to stay close to my target and the shorter .5 second short burst duration works for me. If I kept more distance the regular laser would probably be best because of heat problems. Against a light without SSRMs, either type seem to do the trick. I can usually get a more more damage on a certain location of a light with the pulse laser but again I heat up pretty fast. Versus a light with SSRMs, I just run and hope some friends are close.

#3 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

There is also the topic of range. Since the death of the "lagraven tanks an entire team" days are over range can be the better option for your lasers.

Pulse lasers are great for close range hit and runs but you have to basically be hugging the enemy to use them effectively. Personally for me I have had better performance using large lasers and medium lasers over the closer range large pulse lasers and medium pulse lasers. Keep at range, strike, hide, move position, strike again.

#4 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Typically I base my decisions by how many hardpoints I have and plan to use.
A Jenner-F can mount 6 mediums, for instance.
A Jenner-K could mount 4 and a missile launcher, or swap to 4 MPL.
Cicada-3M I'd definitely run MPL on, since it's only got 4 energy hardpoints plus a ballistic.

Spiders tend to be very hardpoint limited, making them a good candidate for Large Lasers, (ER)PPCs, and Med Pulse.
I imagine the Flea will be the same way.

#5 Jape

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

IMO pulse lasers should have the same range as normal lasers. Then they would actually be viable.

#6 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

Well yeah if I want to make "Brawler" Spider-5D it's definetely 3x MPL, but making spider brawler would be stupid with current ecm/bap/streak meta.
What I would like to see (if(and they won't) they are not going make them continues fire weapons like MGs) is make them weight less, specially SPL/MPL
But most of the times I don't see point of taking them, specially in light mechs with more than 3 weapon slots because they are so much heavier but also because of lack of range.

#7 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

Well against heavies the standard laser is clearly better but against other lights you want pulse lasers as they deliver their damage with out you having to track your target.

Depends on your heat profile aswell as on hot maps like the valley you'll soon be in the red with pulse weapons.

#8 Siegwald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

I'm using 2 med and 2 medpulse on my Jenner K. Works quite ok.

You can alpha until the heat warning comes up and then just use the two meds during cooldown vs lights, or you alpha until the heat warning comes up and then get the frack out vs anything substantially slower than you.

Edited by Siegwald, 30 May 2013 - 04:45 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users