6" Tall Posable Atlas (Picture Overload!)

3D

291 replies to this topic

#281 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

Can you give us a brief summary of what you used and how you did this?
maybe just a bullet point list of general steps. Thanks!

#282 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 14 May 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Hey Valcrow I have an idea for those red eyes. Have you considered getting a small drill or printing the head separately so you can make the head hollow, open the eyes, replace the eye plastic windows with a clear plastic and then in the hollow head try and wire up a small red LED? You could then try using a lithium ion battery in the torso (which you could hollow out also, and then in the back put in a charger port that is small so you can disguise it). So then you can have those eyes seriously glow just a little switch. If you made the head clip on then you can turn it on from a little switch that you can place down in the torso, and then clip the head to the torso giving you an illuminating Red Eye. And actually you could skip the charger cause you could just rip out the electronic bits to charge them, and then you won't have to have any of that.

I had made something like this as a test earlier. The head is separate already and if you printed it hollow you could stick things inside it. There's also a lot of space available in the chest if you were so inclined to hide wires/batteries in there.

Here's a much bigger head with a flashlight in it:
Posted Image

Unfortunately when it comes to electronics I have a higher chance of burning the house down than making a proper solder.

View PostSinguris, on 21 May 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

Wow, well done! Is there anyway to get these specs or aquire one. It would be very cool to paint and build as a model collector. It's quite impossible to find good size Battletech models. Any chance you will work on the venerable Timberwolf? I can only dream of adding something like that to my, collection. Any chance a starry eyed enthusiast could aquire one?

No plans to make anymore mechs for now, I think there's a few here that are trying to make a timberwolf though?

View PostAraevin Teshurr, on 21 May 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Can you give us a brief summary of what you used and how you did this?
maybe just a bullet point list of general steps. Thanks!

There is already a lot of information on this thread regarding how it was made. (I know there's like 15 pages, it's in there. :P)

If you want more info this is the most relevant article:
http://www.redicubri...-the-making-of/

And all other MW related posts on the atlas, catapult and jenner.
http://www.redicubri...riorbattletech/

#283 Blood Eagle

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

Okay so i dont want to buy one because i have accsess to FDM,SLS and SLA printers. But where on earth did you get the model file from? Would it be possible to send me the STL file you have of this Atlas if youd be so kind?!

#284 JerryLightning

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:55 AM

it has been almost a year since i have played mwo. I play DDC all the way, and to come back to see this has brought a tear to my eye. Your work is seariously the coolest thing I have seen in a long while. Keep up the good work!!

#285 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:21 AM

The structure the 3D print gives the mini fits the metallic quite nice.

Also that seems rather much like a Beagle passive probe.

#286 WhisksSpatulasAndOrMathequations

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

Hey, my Atlas is bigger than your Atlas!!

Your model is much nicer and has more working parts, BUT mine is taller! Your digital model is much cleaner for 3D printing also. I cut mine to be the max print area for the XYZ Jr. I scaled another version for the Solidoodle 4 print area and would be around 11-12 tall however the digital file is so corrupted that it failed all the time. Everyone complains about the XYZ crappy software, I however, do not care about those complaints. If you want to get into 3D printing and you do not like tweaking everything all the time the XYZ is a great way to go. The XYZ software in this case did a great job with a bad digital model. Normally you would have to have a water tight model. The XYZ software over looked that and filled in hollows where it needed it.

Edited by Whisks Spatulas or MathEquations, 22 April 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#287 Everyday In Laugh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationVietNam

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hey!, i saw yours got feature on Tested a long time ago. I'm new to the MWO model club, mine stands at ~10 inches tall.
Now this is fairly pose-able. Some of the joints didn't turn out like i wanted to. It's near impossible to make ball joints with paper :/,
Like ex: both shoulders and legs can only move forward and back and not sideways. Space is limited so i can't cramp too much inside.
Posted ImageHey

Edited by Everyday In Laugh, 23 April 2016 - 01:47 AM.

#288 Frigglypuss

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationSwiggin' a maple bacon beer on my back deck with my scrubs

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:33 AM

my favourite part of the OP was that you painted AUTHENTIC BATTLE DAMAGE on it lol. that made my day :)

also, what you've made here is really really cool. i'm sure you could take all of the most renowned mechs from lore and create a build to order business on the side. i know people do that sort of thing with custom paintball stuff all the time. they make a run of something if enough ppl commit to buying, and the buyers understand it takes a while but with regular updates everyone is happy to just be a part of something cool like that. i don't know how much work it would be for you though, but i'd certainly pay for shipping to Canadia to help lower your costs. it might be something to look into :) but i'm sure you get that a lot here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users