Zelda Dislikes Ppcs - A Mechwarrior Meta Meditation (Video!)

24 replies to this topic

#1 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hello, my name is Soy and I play MechWarrior Online. A lot.

have a lot of opinions on game balance. Most of the time I don't talk about them cuz I really enjoy playing this game, and that includes all aspects.

Anyways, I've noticed some things lately on the forums that I wanted to discuss, but couldn't quite find the right words.

So, I decided to make this short film in an effort to meditate and wax philosophically on the critical issues of our community's time. Stuff like meta, balance, and mechanics. Some of my opinions might not be fully conveyed, but that's because these are big issues. Nobody has all the answers. Hopefully this helps shed a little light on things.

Available in 1080p

I hope you enjoy and gain some insight or perhaps learn to understand the other side of the perspective on things we all take for granted and just want to enjoy together. Any comments, concerns, or criticisms, please don't hesitate to get involved. Thanks for watching!

ps - yes this is simultaneously serious and stupid at same time, i put a lot of work into this video, it's not a troll

update - here's the follow-up thread/video

Edited by Soy, 02 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#2 Ezekeel666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Calling this a philosophical meditation is a joke, right? Ever thought about treating that ADHD?

Now my brain hurts.

#3 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

For some reason, I watched that.

Does it not bother you that an unlimited ammo, frontloaded, long range weapon with the fastest projectile speed in the game short of lightspeed- fired in triplicate, only generates 25% heat per ALPHA?

#4 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostEzekeel666, on 30 May 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Ever thought about treating that ADHD?

#5 Edson Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

I just wonder what Ganon's up to

My boy...

#6 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 30 May 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Does it not bother you that an unlimited ammo, frontloaded, long range weapon with the fastest projectile speed in the game short of lightspeed- fired in triplicate, only generates 25% heat per ALPHA?

I dunno dude, you tell me?

If I was able to articulate my thoughts then what would be the point of the video, sorry...

I can try and answer like this - no it doesn't bother me because I have fun, but I see both sides of the issue. I respect peoples opinions and will try and adapt my experiences in MWO around having fun while still remaining competitive or effective.

#7 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I enjoyed the video

#8 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

You have way too much time on your hands bro.

#9 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

More like, too many clantech joints

#10 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 30 May 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

For some reason, I watched that.

Does it bother you that you lack the ability to use that weapon system as well others do? Last time I checked we can all run whatever we want on the mech. It makes no difference what the devs do. The best players will use the best loadouts to their maximum potential and flood the forums with tears like yours.

#11 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostMongoose Trueborn, on 31 May 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Does it bother you that you lack the ability to use that weapon system as well others do? Last time I checked we can all run whatever we want on the mech. It makes no difference what the devs do. The best players will use the best loadouts to their maximum potential and flood the forums with tears like yours.

Oh cute, it's Mongoose Tantrumborn.

Actually, I use it very well, my 3PPC Cataphract does very well at eliminating about everyone from safety and usually gets 400+ damage in a match that goes more than 3 minutes.

Take your tantrum elsewhere, tool.

#12 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostSoy, on 30 May 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

I dunno dude, you tell me?

If I was able to articulate my thoughts then what would be the point of the video, sorry...

I can try and answer like this - no it doesn't bother me because I have fun, but I see both sides of the issue. I respect peoples opinions and will try and adapt my experiences in MWO around having fun while still remaining competitive or effective.

Let me explain (as I actually have nothing against you)

It was an indirect question, I'm not advocating anyone NOT run a build they can in game.
Hell, I have the Jumpsniping Highlander and Cataphract, I have the boomjager, I have the missile boats, I had the PPC Stalker (sold it because I didn't play it much)

I have all these things, and will use them in competitive play.

The question is, does it bother you that, that build is functioning that well when there is nothing else that can even approach it for it's costs?

#13 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

****, I own 4 3Ds and I did the math once, with them all being moduled out and fully built [4 diff loadouts], it was literally around 100 million c-bills. So I don't think the costs are cheap! ^^

No but ok. If I could answer that directly. If it bothers me or not. I wouldn't have made the video. I think the video speaks for itself.

If you're annoyed by the ambiguity of the video - well, then, that's the point, I think I did a good job of conveying how I feel about things. Cuz I feel mixed up. The community clearly does too. Things are never cut and dry when they are this big and complex. Nobody is going to look down the bridge of their nose and see a simple solution that thousands of us simply overlooked.

I don't know all the answers. I don't think PGI does. I certainly don't think this community at large does. Only answer I have is that I enjoy the game and the ride. We're all just trying to have fun, playing a game. This big poptart/meta/balance discussion, for better or worse, is a part of that 'play' as well. It's ongoing, it doesn't end. Personally? I'm enjoying myself regardless of what type of bullets are wizzing by my mech's head. I can't really put it any other way, if I could, I would.

Edited by Soy, 31 May 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#14 IronChance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

I feel similarly to Soy here. I like the video a lot because it I think it shows just how comical the whole thing is in general. A PPC Stalker or Highlander, a dual AC20 Jager, a splatcat - whatever. They're all effective builds, but most people have issues with them being in the true spirit of the game. Maybe they'll get "fixed", maybe not, but the game is still fun. There'll always be min/maxers and try-hards no matter what. It's good to laugh about it sometimes.

#15 Punkass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I don't even know what I just watched. But I was kinda entertained none the less.

#16 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

You just need to dodge when the flames shoot them at you.

#17 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostMongoose Trueborn, on 31 May 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

The best players will use the best loadouts to their maximum potential and flood the forums with tears like yours.

With better weapon balance I get more options for weapon load-outs while remaining competitive. That is better than the current state of affairs.

#18 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostSephlock, on 31 May 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Wizrobes are basically tarters.

#19 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

New episode being uploaded; not to give away any details, it has to deal with the FedCom Civil War. And Francis.

I put 4 hours[!!!!!!!!!!11`] into the video from this thread, after watching it drown in daily QQ threads I'm definitely bumping for great justice, soaring above 93,000 daily posts about random **** that aren't even remotely about Game Balance.

Fortunately [or not] the new episode will have nothing to do with Game Balance so I can find a suitably obscure home for it... like Fan Fiction... or something. Yeah, that's the ticket.

update - here's new episode

Edited by Soy, 01 June 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#20 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostSoy, on 31 May 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Nobody is going to look down the bridge of their nose and see a simple solution that thousands of us simply overlooked.

Americans designed a pen to work in zero gravity. Russians brought a pencil.

That's some mad editing skills. Would you mind sharing what software you use?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users