28 replies to this topic

#21 Und3rSc0re

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostCaptain Katawa, on 31 May 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Useless is a word used by those who have their heads filled with META instead of grey mass.
I'm an old *** Doter and I pretty much know that meta is full of *********. People who believe in meta mostly pick meta pick something considered Overpowered by meta and show us some pretty poor performance.

An awerage meta believer looks like a highlander with Goose+3ER PPC with armlock going into close combat with 3x zoom and missing alphas.
"Why the hell did my OP build not work?"
"It must be my team full of useless mediums"

There's certain use and purpose for every platform, some chasis do the same work a bit better than others but I don't see anything useless.
It more depends on you and what are you good at.

Only time highlanders with long range builds go into close combat is to cleanup after they cored half the enemy team.

Edit: Just saying just because the players at your elo are playing bad with meta builds does not mean they are balanced.

Edited by Und3rSc0re, 31 May 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#22 Captain Katawa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Why does it sound so similar to people complaining about Pudge from dota being OP since you can't escape if you get hit with a hook?

There always is a way to not get hooked.

#23 Und3rSc0re

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostCaptain Katawa, on 31 May 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Why does it sound so similar to people complaining about Pudge from dota being OP since you can't escape if you get hit with a hook?

There always is a way to not get hooked.

Pudge is trash if he cant hook, he isnt op when playing against good players that can actually dodge which is why the top players say he is fine. But you are right he is only op when playing against bads.

#24 ObsidianSpectre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 31 May 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

See, I have encountered SOME of that with lights. If I hop out from behind a rock and take a potshot, yeah, I get hit. However, if I STRAFE and shoot instead, moving from cover to cover, I get my shot in and am usually not hit. If I have even just ONE more light partner, or a medium, working the cover-to-cover strafe tactics...well...big 'mechs fall down hard.

I do the exact same thing in my fast heavy, except I do more damage that way, and can take more than one alpha from the enemy before going down.

#25 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 31 May 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

See, I have encountered SOME of that with lights. If I hop out from behind a rock and take a potshot, yeah, I get hit. However, if I STRAFE and shoot instead, moving from cover to cover, I get my shot in and am usually not hit. If I have even just ONE more light partner, or a medium, working the cover-to-cover strafe tactics...well...big 'mechs fall down hard.

I'm a big believer in "Wolfpack and go for Objectives" when it comes to lights. I think that too many lights who want to 'dance' around big 'mechs get greedy. Take your one, MAYBE two shots, and disappear. Take nibbles and go. Don't circle and think you can nibble with impunity. You can't.

It's not a wolfpack. It's a swarm. Or, in the case of Cicadas, a plague.

I'm a medium pilot. May the swarm always fly fast and deadly.

#26 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostsilentD11, on 31 May 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Frisk is right. People have decided the way to play the game is to mob everyone up and either go for a big *** brawl, or set up a firing line and blast away. In this situation the only thing that matters is tonnage and damage output. Which naturally means mediums and lights are nothing more than targets. It makes assaults and some heavies much better than they normally are.

On the other hand if you focus on capping lights and mediums all of a sudden have role to play and pretty good. However this offends peoples e-honor and they panic since they don't know what to do outside of smashing action figures together so they cry about it.

Don't play smash the action figures with them, cap and capture. All of a sudden their builds aren't so uber and lights and mediums have a role again. Then reap the delicious tears.

How would you propose a different perception...because mine is if you are a light or fast medium I could press one button to go forward, move the mouse in direction and stop at a cap point, rinse and repeat every game with my "fantastically" fun cap win.

Or, I could enjoy hardcore robot on robot smashing action where anything but the biggest mech is usually fodder. Sorry PGI hasn't given is anything more in this game the death match, capping is more pointless than the death match grinding.

I think it's kind of easy to see why the current trends are trends, don't insinuate everyone is a bunch of mindless low IQ trolls because they follow a norm, there is usually a valid intelligent reason.

#27 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostZypher, on 31 May 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

How would you propose a different perception...because mine is if you are a light or fast medium I could press one button to go forward, move the mouse in direction and stop at a cap point, rinse and repeat every game with my "fantastically" fun cap win.

Or, I could enjoy hardcore robot on robot smashing action where anything but the biggest mech is usually fodder. Sorry PGI hasn't given is anything more in this game the death match, capping is more pointless than the death match grinding.

I think it's kind of easy to see why the current trends are trends, don't insinuate everyone is a bunch of mindless low IQ trolls because they follow a norm, there is usually a valid intelligent reason.

^

Capping is both boring (it's basically a single player game at that point) and not rewarding.

#28 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

wait who ever said heavies are useless?

mediums are pretty useless RIGHT NOW they werent always

#29 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

There's not enough motivation to bring anything other than a damage dealer because they're the ones that get paid the most. I own a mech of every different weight class and I find myself just not bothering with the Lights or Mediums when I need to grind c-bills because it's simply easier to do it in a heavy or assault. When I want to have fun I will bring out the lighter guys because piloting them is still a blast... but it's not worth it if I am trying to grind some c-bills or xp.

Don't get me wrong. I can and do have games where I score above 200k in my Commando and Treb but I have to be playing the top of my game to do it consistently because the only way you get paid is to deal a good amount of damage. In my Highlander most of the time I can score 200k without really trying too hard.

When the rewards for playing mediums and lights are as good as the rewards for playing heavies (not solely based on damage/kill assists/saviours) then you'll see a resurgence of those weight classes.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users