How To Be Like Everyone Else And Also Bad

11 replies to this topic

#1 Imrinfected

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Make sure you get the heaviest mech possible. More tonnage obviously means more firepower and it should go without saying that any firepower you have will definitely go to good use and absolutely hit the enemy every single time.

If you see someone using a build that you think is even slightly more effective than yours then be sure to drop everything you have already and clone theirs because you shouldn't be confident in yourself or spend long enough on one loadout to get good at it.

Some mechs just don't have any use! If you aren't using a Raven, Spider, Cicada, or one of the Assault mechs (except the Awesome) then you're playing wrong! Heavy and medium mechs are dumb, but only if there a new medium mech wasn't recently released because in that case the new mech is the greatest mech in the game and you should definitely buy it.

Stock up on the following because they're the only weapons you should ever use! Forget everything else, it makes you cheap for using it! Especially LRMs!

AC/20 - get at least 2 of these
AC/2 - get 4 of these and use a macro to chain fire them LIKE A PRO
Ultra AC/5 - Get 4 of these and use a macro to unjam them because it's not cheating and anyone who thinks so is mad or something
ER PPC - Get as many of these as you can fit. Regular PPCs don't make any sense because they require less heat at the disadvantage of a minimum range of 90! Because these are all you're going to be using, you need to make sure they can hit at any range. If they can hit, they will hit, because firepower automatically translates into usefulness and damage!

If your mech doesn't have ECM then use put more AC weapons or ER PPCs on it. This makes up for everything.

If you die and someone calls you a name for it, they're just mad and that makes them invalid because human emotions are invalid and also having more than half a brain is for morons.

Don't forget that everyone on the internet has to be nice to you and that this game is and only can be a hugbox of gimmicky, flavor of the month loadouts and mechs. Anyone who thinks or says different is a bad person!

#2 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Feel better now that you got it off your chest?

#3 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Wait. You can UNjam UAC5's?

I use a macro to fire them at their stated firing rate while holding the mouse down because I feel that's how they should work without double tapping them, I just want them to fire at their stated 1.1s reload. But I didn't know it was possible to unjam them.

Other than that I agree fully with your post.

#4 ulziel

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

Yerp...... What's this post supposed to do again?

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

This is an amusing post. I'm tempted to "Like" it, but you didn't really stick to a consistent sarcastic theme and sort of went into some stream-of-consciousness rambling there at the end. It was a good effort, but keep working on your prose.

#6 ulziel

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I don't find this topic in the correct action for helping or promoting people with builds or starts. Just a persons ranting on the current meta of the game.

#7 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hey, sometimes you gotta just let it all out.

But I wonder what the OP's other 2 forum posts are about.

EDIT: Spelling as usual.

Edited by knnniggett, 30 May 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#8 Danish Fury

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Great thread. This should probably be stickied

#9 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Um...I have..40+ mechs.... three of this, two of that, one of another... and I am constantly in the lab playing with configurations...which is REALLY expensive...(you are welcome PGI)..

but yeah I am like everyone else....

#10 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostImrinfected, on 29 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

If you see someone using a build that you think is even slightly more effective than yours then be sure to drop everything you have already and clone theirs because you shouldn't be confident in yourself or spend long enough on one loadout to get good at it.

OP's rant meanders a little, but the meat of it, the "meta-chasing" is something that I think about often.

Hypothesis Number 1: The more you drive the same chassis with the same load out, the better you get with it.

Hypothesis Number 2: Balance changes will be made in the future. We cannot predict them, but they will eventually tend towards making every weapon viable.

Corollary: Along the way, weapons will spend time being over/underpowered.

The "meta-chasing" behavior of some players seems, to me, to be counter productive.

Each time you switch loadouts or mechs, you are sacrificing a sizeable portion of the amount of expertise you have developed with it. Each time the weapon you're boating gets nerfed, and a competing weapon system gets buffed, you need to start learning again from the ground up.

Conversely, a player with a relatively diverse loadout out is more shielded by balance changes. This player will benefit less when a particular weapon gets buffed, but suffer less when a weapon gets nerfed. This pilot is never unlearning old lessons and playing catchup in a new machine - instead the player is refining old lessons and tinkering with fine points of strategy, the build, and how they interact with what other players are doing.

It comes down to a battle between stats and experience. Do you put your money on the good pilot in a great machine or the great pilot in the good machine?

Or perhaps that's unfair. They might both be great pilots. Or terrible pilots. It doesn't matter. Do you believe that depth beats breadth? Or vice versa?

In the end, I would say the most important sentiment I have on this topic is "it's more important to understand why something is good than it is to do that thing yourself"

#11 LoveMaker

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNational City, CA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Someone had too much Mt. Dew before their night shift at Kinko's. :)

#12 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

What sad is he's not far off. There's little reason to run anything other than an AC40 mech or something with several ERPPC and gauss. With SRMs nerfed the terror of the Hunchback 4SP brawler is over, Centurions are reduced to mid range LRM/PPC support and even lights are little more than ECM equipped brawlers rather than LRM scouts.

The game's balance is whack, yo. Something needs to be done because as it stands most weapons are only slightly more useful than machine guns and that's pretty sad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users