View PostLordBraxton, on 02 June 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I stopped in disgust at the question from 'monkeymot' or whoever

"balanced builds are actually quite fun to pilot right now"

are you joking?

not only is that ridiculous but PGI chose to answer that question

are they oblivious or in denial?

every build I have is a boat of some kind

because I tryhard

Until PGI define a balanced build its hard to coment, if balance means a total or armour, weapons and speed, it could be seen as 'balanced' purely on what weapons get fitted to what mechs, no way..

#83 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

The Sarah mech is an extremely controversial decision, imo. I'd be fine with a commemorative cockpit item, or perhaps a statue on one of the maps, but something that represents the memory of a 5 year old little girl that can be shot at and destroyed is from some perspectives a little sick, despite the good intentions.

Whilst there was indeed plenty of support for the idea, there was an equally high question over whether it was an entirely good way of showing support. I do hope this alternative feedback was considered when this decision was made.

Edited by James DeGriz, 02 June 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#84 William McNab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

As always, I appreciate the developer feedback.
Is there a thread, or can there be a thread in the Command Chair, specific to Community Warfare?
I really enjoy playing MWO, but I am rapidly getting tired of drop win, or drop lose with no consequence.

Without mech repair, ammo cost, or global impact, each drop is a separate event with no connection to each other.

#85 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Great answers and it means that there will be much more to come once the game is released. That keeps people coming back. I am however not happy that the problem of disconnects was not answered properly. Game crash , freeze and return to the launch window is the main reason. Its not the players doing, most of it is the cry engine software in spite of what some want you to believe. I see no problem with them naming a Mech after what seemed to be a very special child. This a unique case. Some nice frank answers. I am sure they gave you a raise LOL.

#86 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Shift+Tab has a meaning or not?

#87 Tyrist

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

For those of you that might not know. You can unlock your arms on the fly. There is a mapping option in the controls. I leave mine locked for easy of use for most of the matches but unlock to travers up and down and left and right. I dont really think this needs to be changed. Also you can combine your ingame toggle with your freelook if you have the keys mapped properly.

#88 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

There is way, way WAY too much dancing around the issues in these posts.

Ask the devs has become almost a joke at this point "Yes plans but we can't talk about it. No plans, maybe... I don't know."

That's almost all we get out of these.

I've rarely seen a company soo... tight lipped about changes in the making to it's community.

Is PGI really that scared of fan backlash at this point? Not that I'd blame them, but for christsakes, there have been some bonehead moves made and we've called you on it. Then you've pushed forward anyway. So why don't you just straight out tell us what you're looking at, what your considering changing down the pipeline and just telling us "Tough, this is the game we want to make."

At that point, there's not much that we, the players can do. Will you loose people? Yes, but you'll loose those SAME people once you make a crappy change anyway.

I don't even know why I come here for MWO news anymore. it's practically a joke.

#89 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I still dont think this small developer is able to make a truly immersive mechwarrior game. Their attitude is all wrong with this joke of a ask the devs. They are a small team...this game needs a large team to really make this game live past it's beta stage. I'm tired of playing this game anymore it's gotten stale. I like the older mechwarrior games where you could destroy trees and buildings, I miss having a single player experience.

Also why the hell are they basing this off a board game? This is a video game that uses a mouse and keyboard and um electricity? Why are they basing everything off of this? They are not doing it well if they are I mean just look at the weapon balances in this game?

Why cant we get a real developer that has a larg talented and committed team to giving us the best mechwarrior game ever made? This is a joke compared to the success of the older games.

Sorry for being so harsh but I've put more money on this game than most of the others combined and gotten nothing out of it. So far has been a waste of my time, there isn't a huge population for this game, there is no easy way to add people on your friends list as the match ends you cant go back to the screen, you cant party up with a group you just played like you can in just about any other game out there. This game has so much work to do that it's not ever going to be completed and you guys ask for premium prices on everything from little cockpit toys that dont do anything, there is no music in this game odd physics, no core explosions or eject sequences...

Sorry I'm just pretty much at my limit at what I can take from a dev that isn't cut out for making the game worth my time. Peace out.

#90 Willie Sauerland

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 31 May 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Willie Sauerland: Since capturing a little box is rewarded in Assault mode (it is an alternate win condition), why is capturing points to gain a team resources in Conquest mode (another alternate win condition) not rewarded?
A: You are reward for collecting resources, not capturing resource points. We are discussing internally whether we should add a cap reward.

I just had to remove a lot of snark in my response.
This response just baffles me.
Was the question not phrased in a way it was easily understood?
I could have sworn I was talking about the XP imbalance when playing
conquest as a light capping resources...

Did I screw this up?

#91 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 02 June 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Did I screw this up?

Yup, you screwed up by asking a question through this sham.

Why do people still have expectations regarding AtD?

How many times do you need to get punched in the nuts to realize it's a good time to move away from the thing punching you in the nuts.

Let me give you guys a few tips.

If you really want to ask a question do one of three things...

Tweet a dev, sometimes they answer with jokes or snark. But they do answer.

Post on facebook (see above).

Wait for them to do something like the reddit chat they did recently.

All the devs do is crap on the forums, get used to it.

Unless of course you do a thread about a Jagermech with 6 Machine Guns...then some how you get the Community Manager to show up.

Go figure.

#92 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Excellent! Thanks for keeping us in the loop PGI!

Edited by Skoaljaw, 02 June 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#93 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 02 June 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I still dont think this small developer is able to make a truly immersive mechwarrior game. Their attitude is all wrong with this joke of a ask the devs. They are a small team...this game needs a large team to really make this game live past it's beta stage. I'm tired of playing this game anymore it's gotten stale. I like the older mechwarrior games where you could destroy trees and buildings, I miss having a single player experience.
Also why the hell are they basing this off a board game? This is a video game that uses a mouse and keyboard and um electricity? Why are they basing everything off of this? They are not doing it well if they are I mean just look at the weapon balances in this game?
Why cant we get a real developer that has a larg talented and committed team to giving us the best mechwarrior game ever made? This is a joke compared to the success of the older games.

Well, this is what we have. If you want bigger companies to make future games, it needs to be more popular and more profitable. The reason a small company is doing it, is because no one has made a MechWarrior game since the fall of the Berlin wall, give or take a few years.

The MechWarrior games are never going to be mainstream, I think. They've been around a long time without making it.

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 02 June 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Did I screw this up?

No, the question has been asked before, with an even more puzzling answer, in the last AtD. I'm guessing they're hesitating to say what's really the case: working as intended. At this point, they have certainly seen and dismissed the point being made.

#94 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 31 May 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Karl Streiger: Do you consider any changes on the armor distribution? Most players aim directly for the Center - some for the side torso - but in most cases it is cheaper (less time consuming to kill the target)
Shouldn't the gain of disarming a target first be increased over the kill shot? My Ideas were (CT 28%, Legs 13%, SideToros 15% and Arms 7% of total armor)
A: Armor values are based off the TT values.

Thanks for the answers. But it creates a couple of new questions.

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 31 May 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

This is a bit of a non-useful answer, isn't it? We know where the values come from, Karl is asking if you ever considered changing them because the values are based on the TT game, a game that definitely did not feature mouse-aiming or convergence.

This is the main reason why I asked.

It is funny that generally the accuracy ability of a pilot of MWO and the hit probability of a TT dice gunnery pilot are roughly the same. The ability to hit a traget is definitely linked to the hitzone means when I'm able to hit a target i will hit that target at 90% at the position i have aimed for.
That with the high damage result in not working armor values when they are based on just TT values.

I think i have to narrow the problem down...
just an simple example:

A newb player will have a accuracy of roughly 25-30 % while a regular pilot will have roughly 30-40%.
Not the big difference - i would count my self as veteran and i hardly have 40% accuracy for my main weapons...but however any trained gunmen could hit a target at any hitzone of choice. As newb i can throw 500dmg onto a mech and maybe he is still allive - i expect that every MWO player with more as 100battles should be able to kill any mech with less than 250dmg.

Or in other words the experience of new player is highly similar to values i would expect in TT. Beyond that low level the armor values stand in no relation to the ability to choose hitzones.

I plea: Please, take a look to armor values. Doubling or trippling alone will not change anything...you have to reallocate them.

Last words:
A 40t cicade that can be vaporized in an instant by an HEX PPC Stalker is not BattleMech.
That for it is highly important that killing Battlemechs have to become more difficult. - neutralizing them should be much more easier...

#95 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think you can take fro the question that the devs really don't know what the people in the forums talk about. This topic has come up so often, the context should be clear. They don't know about it.

Okay, so the devs don't read the forums. That's okay. But apparantly the community managers that are supposed to rely the "gist" of the forums to them, seemed to have missed this topic as well. I guess that makes it clear how useful the forum is for communicating with PGI.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#96 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

I think you can take fro the question that the devs really don't know what the people in the forums talk about. This topic has come up so often, the context should be clear. They don't know about it.

I don't hear you :mellow: - i don't believe you :P - you must be wrong :blink: ... else all our writing and work of the last 1.1/2 years is in vain. :D

#97 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 02 June 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

We can't get a big developer because we are asking for a thinking man's shooter. If they made a moron's RTS, no-one would play that either. We actually ran this experiment before, and the result was that the big developer reduced complexity with every iteration, getting to the laughable with MW4, and the absurd in MechAssault. And then they made another MechAssault which even MechAssault fans (shudders) thought went overboard.

Some things are always going to be niche. We have to spread word of mouth and get people into MWO and try to build the fanbase. If it succeeds and the Developers hire a hundred guys and get superior management, then all is well with the world. If it fails, but we tried to support it and it was clearly brought down by poor PR from the publisher, then we get a chance at another one and the franchise doesn't die.

#98 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 June 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

No, the question has been asked before, with an even more puzzling answer, in the last AtD. I'm guessing they're hesitating to say what's really the case: working as intended. At this point, they have certainly seen and dismissed the point being made.

Bryan is just trying to be nice. Keep in mind that in the devspeak "working as intended" means "**** off".

#99 Willie Sauerland

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 02 June 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Tweet a dev, sometimes they answer with jokes or snark. But they do answer.

Post on facebook (see above).

Wait for them to do something like the reddit chat they did recently.

Hmmm....
As is well known, I am antisocial.
Since I don't do any of those things, I guess I should not expect answers.
Or to better rephrase: I should not expect good answers.
Thanks.

Edited by Willie Sauerland, 03 June 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#100 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Asmudius Heng: Russ Bullock replied to a player on Twitter who enquired why PGI didnt like the idea of hardpoint sizes. Russ replied:"@AC1DPHA5E we’re not against it, it's been discussed.”
Is it possible to get an elabolration on what that discussion was so we know if this is 1) still being discussed and why, 2) rejected for X reason.
A: No further news on this thought process. If we reject it, I’ll let you know.

Thank you for suggesting turning MWO into MW4: Part Deux and whining about machine guns in gauss rifle bays (yes I know I said that backwards) without actually mentioning the K2. Interestingly, missiles do have a rudimentary form of this with their number of tubes property, though I doubt that will give much consolation.

Darwins Dog: Would it be possible to have a link for us to get out stats (mechs, weapons, etc.) in something live a .csv file? I'm a science guy, and I would love to be able to see trends in my performance.
A: Yes, eventually we will have an API for players to get access to stat information.

You can currently copy and paste the stat pages into excel and do all of the math you want on them.

Firelizard: Given the disparity between the 0.5 ton machine guns and the 6 ton AC2, will you consider adding the mech mortar line to add low tonnage ballistic armament options?
A: Eventually, as the timeline allows for it.

You do realize that this grand disparity is like comparing apples to bananas, don’t you? Also, it’s a missile style weapon in TT, so it’s not going to help the CDA-3C, RVN-4X or SDR-5K anyway. And we can already fire LRMs indirectly. The only possible advantage appears to be immunity to AMS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users