'Mech Selection

11 replies to this topic

#1 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

I've given a lot of thought to how 'mech selection should probably work for an online title like this. If it's going to allow multiple players to fight in persistent, online battlefields, then the number and types of 'mech available has to be kept in check. Obviously, with the timeline set at 3015, certain technologies are limited or unavailable (clan tech, omnimechs, more advanced weapons like plasma rifles or MML systems, etc.). I personally believe, for starting players at least, faction relationships should play a role in 'mech selection. If players begin the game with strong ties to the Draconis Combine, for example, the starting 'mechs available- say, one in each weight class- should be DCMS specific designs. Light would be the Jenner or Panther, Heavy the Dragon, Assault the Hatamoto-Chi and so on. That way design selection would be limited by faction, with the possibility of obtaining new designs through battlefield salvage or the open market similar to how MW4 worked.

What do you guys think?

#2 Skorpio

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

only one thing though................
its set in 3049
well 3048 now but when the game is released then it will be 3049

#3 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Not a bad idea, but I'd also like to see the more common designs also available as starting mechs since weight class doesn't always equal role. As you progress you could unlock variants to all of these, including the jump from level one to level two tech, and some of the more rare mechs to purchase.

#4 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

That still leaves us in the great and wonderful succession wars era with no clan equipment and hopefully still no double heat sinks, ER-PPCs and whatever. They should balance the game with the 3025 Mechs and tech before pushing everything over the edge with Clantech and Omnis and whatever.

And yes nostra, I think the fluff value would increase with restricted starting mechs (make it 2 per weight class) for each house. Even later house specific mechs should cost more for a different house.

#5 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

View Postskorpio, on 08 November 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

only one thing though................
its set in 3049
well 3048 now but when the game is released then it will be 3049

Wait what? o.O

Thought it was 3015 on the planet Deshler. Are they completely discounting the original preview video now?

#6 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostRisen, on 08 November 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

That still leaves us in the great and wonderful succession wars era with no clan equipment and hopefully still no double heat sinks, ER-PPCs and whatever. They should balance the game with the 3025 Mechs and tech before pushing everything over the edge with Clantech and Omnis and whatever.

Actually, the discovery of the Helm memory core in 3028 is what brought back a lot of the Star League tech like DHS, ERPPC's, LB-X, etc. So by this point in the timeline such things were rare-ish but not unheard of (sounds like a great source for tech tree unlockables) -- the clan invasion really kicked production up, especially with Marik's field kits.

#7 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

View PostKudzu, on 08 November 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

Actually, the discovery of the Helm memory core in 3028 is what brought back a lot of the Star League tech like DHS, ERPPC's, LB-X, etc. So by this point in the timeline such things were rare-ish but not unheard of (sounds like a great source for tech tree unlockables) -- the clan invasion really kicked production up, especially with Marik's field kits.

If I remember right...didn't ComStar nab that? I know some of the tech and Mechs were filtered out through the Houses but I recall ComStar having almost all the LosTech out there.

#8 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

View PostPunk[KMSD], on 08 November 2011 - 03:37 PM, said:

If I remember right...didn't ComStar nab that? I know some of the tech and Mechs were filtered out through the Houses but I recall ComStar having almost all the LosTech out there.

Close. It was covered in the second Grey Death Legion novel (and it's been awhile since I've read it so bear with me). Basically the GDL discovers the memory core, Comstar (or at least a faction within Comstar) tries to keep it from getting out. In the end the core is copied, and given to all the houses and thus the Inner Sphere see's a technological Renaissance (if this hadn't happen the clan invasion would have been a lot different!).

Comstar had the choke hold on lostech because they had huge storage depots scattered around since the fall of the Star League. A lot of it was misunderstood and buried under layers of mysticism.

#9 Captain Nice HD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTaurian Concordat

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

View Postnostra, on 08 November 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

Wait what? o.O

Thought it was 3015 on the planet Deshler. Are they completely discounting the original preview video now?

Read the dev blog. The original plan was to reboot the franchise with a single-player game set in 3015 on Deshler. When that fell through due to distribution complications, Piranha started over and came up with the current free-to-play multiplayer title. For practical reasons, the in-game date was moved up to the Clan Invasion, and the scope widened to the entire Inner Sphere, to appeal to a wider audience.

#10 Rendall

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

Mech Selection: the PC game from 1989 was a decent system. Mechs would cost more or less depending on where you were in the universe. Added complexity, especially regarding house specific mechs, might apply, but essentially, it comes down to location.

#11 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

House specific seems fine on the surface. Merc units might start with a wider selection perhaps. Once on the battlefield you should be able to salvage (unlock) mechs not commonly available at the start location?

#12 Rendall

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

I would not be against house specific mechs for starter mechs, maybe even with the addition of being able to select a mercenary specific mech (a mech designed for the mercenary market, specifically, like the Flea) for starters. Tonnage is still a question as to what you start with. I would say start with Lights. Not sure if should be 20 tonners, or 30 tonners to start with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users