Righto, Someone Offer A Bit Of Help, Please?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

So, MWO has officially been released for some time now, and if you have not already checked my profile, you will notice that I have no stats in any of the categories for 'Mechs nor pilot: this is because I have not been able to afford a new computer (I have been limited to a blasted notebook :-( ) where I am actually able to install the patch(es) and play the game.

Long story short, after yonks of saving, I can now afford a new computer and be able to play - what I would like to ask all of you out there, is what would be the best model of computer to buy?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated and score the loyalty of this Capellan Confederation 'Mech jockey for the remainder of her career!

#2 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

2 Points of interest....

1) MWO has not officially released. It is still in open beta.
2) No one else can currently see your 'mech stats.

If you do not get any help ( the Warriors of House Liao are a helpful bunch so I am sure you will) you might want to post something in the Hardware and Accessories area of the forums.

Cheers.

#3 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Seconded, post on the Hardware area of the forums and you will get a 25 page long thread about what to buy and what not to buy.

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

I cannot advise on the computer.

However, I would suspect that you have been off the game since those stats went live. Therefore I'd say nothing has been recorded. Just an idea, because I have no stats for the items, weapons or mechs I have not used since stats came online.

#5 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thank you kindly, Helmer, Thanatos676 and Dirk Le Daring; I have not been able to log on for some time, due of work travel and the like, so I am glad to be home for a few extra months to catch up on everything here.

Helmer and Thanatos676, I will take your suggestions and check about them now.

Cheers, folks ^^

#6 Patrick Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

When asking about your computer make sure to say what your budget is, what you will be using your computer for (besides MWO, ie photoshop etc), whether you want to build it yourself or not etc

#7 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostPatrick Wolf, on 02 June 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

When asking about your computer make sure to say what your budget is, what you will be using your computer for (besides MWO, ie photoshop etc), whether you want to build it yourself or not etc

Thanks kindly. So I just go to he hardware link and post here, about what is in my budget> Or just ask inside any computer store?

I don not use photoshop or anything of such, so those not not worry me at all. Basically I am buying the new computer solely for MWO.

#8 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Get whatever will allow you to run MWO at full specifications. You will be very much pleased. :)

#9 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Welcome back Tif!

Yes the required hardware etc for MWO is a good place to start, and the forums on MWO as helmer stated for hardware help etc....will certainly get you some aide.

Hope to see you in game soon.

#10 Dexter Herbivore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 241 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Quad core, 2Gb GPU as a minimum... for specifics hit up the hardware forum. (Don't ever ask inside a shop unless you know and trust the staff, they'll just try to sell you whatever they get the best commission from or whatever they have extras of).

Edited by Dexter Herbivore, 05 June 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#11 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Honestly if absolutely possible, I'd suggest building your own computer. It's actually pretty easy to do and Newegg has a great video series on youtube the walk you step-by-step through everything from:

1. How a computer works
2. How to select and buy your compnents
3. How to actually build it and test that it's working (with several examples of them building the computer on the video with detailed comments and tips
4. How to get all your basic software installed and configured.

For a first-time computer builder it would probably take about half a day to a day to build it. For the experienced not more than two hours or so.

I'd be happy to help with component suggestion. In the long run you get higher quality components for cheaper than a pre-built machine. That and you know exactly how it works and can customize it to your needs.

#12 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

As a computer technician, I'd advise not to buy from a big box store or just walk into a local shop.

I'd also second posting your budget over in the hardware forums and see what folks come up with, although Dexter's post above gives you the bares bones basic requirements, I'd add the a speedy hard drive with a decent sized cache (unless you can afford to go SSD) will be important as well. Notice I said speed... not size. Good luck!

#13 BotSmoker

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBetelgeuse

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

Don't know if your still looking but you should be at this point, I second nungunz post, easy to build your own machine, lots of info online on how-tos and newegg.com is the best. For budget I would go with AMD, although I was a intel lover I have come to respect AMD, they haven't let me down so far going on a year for the two I built.

#14 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

hope all is well Tiff!

let us know if you require assistance

I am sure someone on the CCAF teamspeak, can walk through a build with you, if you need that in depth assist!

keep in touch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users