- - - - -

Clarification: Hero/founder's Mechs C-Bill & Xp Boost?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've been reading mixed reports and hearing mixed reviews and what-not. So do founder's mechs (which aren't relevant to me) and the hero mechs get both c-bill and xp bonuses?

It is a rather steep investment and I want to be well informed before I drop more cash on digital candy.

Can anyone shed light on this?

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Founders get no idea
Hero mechs get CBill bonus
Champion get XP bonus

#3 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

Much appreciated, thanks!

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Founders Mechs get a slightly smaller C-bill boost of 25 %

Hero mechs get 30% C-bill boost

and Champion mechs are the odd ones of the bunch with a 10% XP boost instead. Founder and Hero mechs do not get any XP boost.

Premium time boosts both XP and C-bills, and Founders received Founder mechs and premium time, leading to some confusion as to which system was providing which bonus.

#5 Zynithra Akutenshi

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Steep investment?

Walkthrough:
-You can't get founders anymore (which you probably already knew, since you said it isn't relevant). Founder's mechs were/are the same as the variants they portray, except for camo. At least a c-bill bonus, but I don't remember specifics right now.
-Hero mechs are unique variants, with unique camo and a cbill bonus. While you do see a whole lot of crying about pay to win in these forums, for the most part I think many of these hero mechs are not worth the investment for any other reason than the camo (most of the chassis that have hero variants have a "free" variant that's even better than the hero).
-Champion mechs are simply just not worth buying, in my opinion. I would pay for them if they even had an unique camo, but no. Champion mechs are exactly the same as the standard variants, except for the xp bonus, which you really don't need anyway..

#6 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostZynithra Akutenshi, on 03 June 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

-Hero mechs are unique variants, with unique camo and a cbill bonus. While you do see a whole lot of crying about pay to win in these forums

The Heavy Metal was more like a "pay for power for a short time" since the hero was the only chassis available for like 2 weeks and a pop-tarting assault was an exclusive at the time.

All the Hero Mechs are pretty much "sub standard" compared to the normal CBill versions. It's almost like they tossed in the 30% CBill perk to make up for the CB's you would *loose* because you were not as effective as a normal chassis ... at least at this point in the game.

Things may change as balance passes are done.

HM issue is there is nothing in the right torso, take out the arms, and HM is pretty much done for.
Misery is probably the best Hero, but the left torso ballistic point is so low that you can't effectively "ridge hump" if you use it.
Muromets is simply outclassed by the 3D due to JJ's ... if they nerf pop-tarting, it might be the second best Hero.
Flame is decent, it's just dragons as a whole are terrible.
Yen-Lo-Wang has no left or right toso mounted weapons ... simply terrible for a centurion.
etc, etc, etc

Edited by NinetyProof, 03 June 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#7 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

As someone with several Hero mechs but long expired premium time, I can tell you that the 30% C-Bill boost is very noticeable. If you have a Hero AND premium time, your C-Bill gains are nearly doubled, which is pretty big.

My advice is not to buy a Hero mech unless you see a variant that really looks fun to you. If you don't really want the mech, just the C-Bill boost, keep in mine that for the price of a large Hero mech you can get 1-2 months of premium time, which is an even bigger boost. In my experience after playing a Hero mech for several weeks I get so sick of it I don't touch it for a long while.

If you do go with a Hero, the Ilya Muromets, Heavy Metal, and Misery are all quite good. The Flame and X-5 are not bad. The Yen Lo Wang, Fang, Pretty Baby, and Death's Kneel are all below average. But even in the "worst" hero, Death's Kneel, I still feel like I got my money's worth out of it, and none of them are so bad as to be nigh-unplayable.

#8 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Post80Bit, on 03 June 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

My advice is not to buy a Hero mech unless you see a variant that really looks fun to you. If you don't really want the mech, just the C-Bill boost, keep in mine that for the price of a large Hero mech you can get 1-2 months of premium time, which is an even bigger boost. In my experience after playing a Hero mech for several weeks I get so sick of it I don't touch it for a long while.

^This. The problem is when the game is awarded of utterly unbalanced weapons, such as the week of LRM rain comeback, then total nerf that holds my will to even consider throwing money in premium time. At the moment however, especially if it's possible to play on a regular basis, Premium time si much worthier than hero mechs.. this also whenever you want to start a new chassis, instantly any mech becomes a hero mech with 50% boost and you exp its variants in no time.

Also add this: an hero mech that looks good now, may not be as good later on as the game progresses. Take the Ilya, it's still a good mech but until the JJs won't be nerfed, a CTF 3D is more advantageous. It's months that I'm not touching mine.

Edited by John MatriX82, 03 June 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#9 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the input ya'll! I've had my eye on the Muromets for some time now... if only to start unlocking a heavy chasis... I'm not sure about the camo scheme but I do like the colors. The hard points can be worked with I think.

Although the C-Bill boost is nice, I'm not sure I can justify the $$ without a little more incentive if that makes sense. I love the game and I'll keep playing, but as far as actually forking out $30+/- for a mech.. well I just can't do it.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostSkoaljaw, on 03 June 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Can anyone shed light on this?

Founders get 25% cbill bonuses. Heroes get 30% cbill bonuses. None get EXP bonuses.

Mechs are actually cheaper depending on how you look at it.

For example the X-5.
Legend: Your price for a specific MC purchase : Amount of MC bought at once = Amount you actually spend for the X-5 in US dollars : How much MC you spent.

6.95 : 1250 = 16.68 : 3000
14.95 : 3000 = 14.95 : 3000
29.95 : 6500 = 13.82 : 3000
49.95 : 12000 = 12.49 : 3000
99.95 : 25000 = 11.99 : 3000

Personally once every 3 to 5 months I buy a 99.95 package. Makes everything as cheap as possible for me. Then try to go for sales too.

Considering it's like a smaller but permanent version of a Premium account and stacks with the Premium, it's not that bad. Only the assaults really break the wallet, and on occasion they go on sale. Last sale the price of the Pretty Baby was as low as 16 dollars.

Compared to other free to play models, Mabinogi and World of Warcraft's pets are around 10 to 15 dollars.
Combat Arms and most FPS games charge between 10 dollars to 30 dollars for permanent weapons ranging from pistols to sniper rifles.

Edited by Koniving, 03 June 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#11 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 June 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Founders get 25% cbill bonuses. Heroes get 30% cbill bonuses. None get EXP bonuses.

Except Champions which get 10%

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Yes. Champions get 10% EXP bonuses (both mech and General). No cbill bonuses. Someone named a specific reason to buy the Champion Jenner though -- the low XL 300 and Double Heatsink to cbill / MC cost. The XL alone should costs at least twice to three times as much as the mech does.

Founders mechs and Champions are Identical to their cbill variants. Founders feature unique Geometry.

Note: It's been mentioned in the future you'll be able to buy cosmetic items for your mech's exterior. Examples include "nose cones for Catapults and swappable Atlas skulls."

Edited by Koniving, 03 June 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#13 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Post80Bit, on 03 June 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

But even in the "worst" hero, Death's Knell, I still feel like I got my money's worth out of it, and none of them are so bad as to be nigh-unplayable.

I would argue that the Death's Knell is actually the BEST hero mech (based on value). It's the only one I have because it's the only one which I felt was reasonably priced. For under 2000MC, I got a mech with which I regularly get 3-4 kills and over 500 damage with. With premium time I often break over 300k Cbills in winning matches.

4 med lasers and 15 DHS can do a lot of damage if you learn how to use it properly.

It's a great little mech.

Edited by Lindonius, 03 June 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#14 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't forget there's already a fine line of PGI-compatible, certifiable accessories available to the discerning Mech pilot looking for a bargain!

http://tinyurl.com/d9dqc77

#15 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostZynithra Akutenshi, on 03 June 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

-Champion mechs are simply just not worth buying, in my opinion. I would pay for them if they even had an unique camo, but no. Champion mechs are exactly the same as the standard variants, except for the xp bonus, which you really don't need anyway..

While Champion mechs don't appeal to the way I play, they're actually very good for new players. Both normal and hero mechs often come without vital, and expensive upgrades. For the OP, it's sort of an unfortunate reality of the current game balance that Endo Steel and especially Double Heat Sink upgrades are effectively mandatory for all mechs. In a vast majority of cases there is no better option that does not use these. XL engines can go either way, they are far from mandatory in many competitive builds but are some of the most expensive things in game.

Let's take the Champion Jenner. There are few times you do not want Endo Steel, Fero Fibrous, XL engine, and Double Heat Sink upgrades for any variation of this mech. The cost to go from a standard Jenner to the Champion is:

Fero Fibrous: 175,000
Endo Steel: 350,000
Double Heat Sinks: 1,500,000
XL 300 Engine: 4,900,000

On top of this though there are definitely better builds out there in each weight class, the Champions start you with a weapons loadout much more practical than most stock mechs. With all this considered Champions are actually a very nice option for new players looking to dive in past the grind and research.

WANRNING: It's worth noting that both the Dragon and Jenner (the two chassis with champion variants so far) are unusually vulnerable to taking lethal damage because of how large their center is. It's not nearly enough to make either unplayable, but it's something to be aware of. The dragon especially is better suited for longer range builds because of it.

#16 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

(QUOTE)
Founder Mechs 50% C-bill boost (Increased from 25%) [should be 55 :) ]
Hero Mechs 50% C-bill boost (Increased from 30%)
Champion 10% XP
Overload 30% cbill 10% loyalty.

Did i miss anything?

#17 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostORIGINAL SteelWolf, on 25 August 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

(QUOTE)
Founder Mechs 50% C-bill boost (Increased from 25%) [should be 55 :) ]
Hero Mechs 50% C-bill boost (Increased from 30%)
Champion 10% XP
Overload 30% cbill 10% loyalty.

Did i miss anything?

The 50% was from a special event, not the norm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users