#1 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi guys,
I recently bought my first Assault Mech and keeping with the theme of my C1 Cat "Fenris" I decided to go for a somewhat slow moving but upgunned balanced sniper with solid close range power. I'm satisfied with my build and it works rather well so far but I'm stillgoing to post my build so you guys can tell me how much it sucks/how awesum it is.
Currently Russ still has 6 slots and 3-5 tons left (currently 3 tons because I maxed the armor on the legs until I get a better idea what to do with the 2 extra tons and got the creds to make changes [I usually go for 41 points leg armor while the other hardpoints remain maxed) which I can't use for additional heatsinks (only 2 slots max left in each of the hardpoints), so I would appreciate advice on how I can most effectively spend that empty space to increase performance. I would also like to hear your opinion on installing BAP on my Stalker to help my team in night fights and against EMC mechs.

My build:
Stalker 3F "Leman Russ"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fca4a7e42ccb945

As I still have weight/slots left, I thought about either getting a bigger STD engine and/or installing BAP or sacrificing 2 DHS for another 2 SRM launchers (but as my build mostly relies on lasers I fear that would actually reduce my combat effectiveness and 4 MPL and 2 SSRM should allow me to deal with light mechs). BAP seems like an interesting choice to me as it would give my team a massive edge on night maps over the enemy team (as almost no one runs around with BAP these days) as the huge spotting/lock on range boost would offset the poor visibility of night/thermal vision of the pubbies in my team and give them an edge against ECM. On the other hand I could spend these 2 additional tons on a potential (and thus even more powerful) new engine. Other ideas would be to get another 2 SSRMs, switch the current SSRMs for 2 SRM 6s etc. But as I already mentioned I would have to sacrifice heat sinks for that. So I'm pretty much undicided.
I appreciate any comments and would be glad if you guys could help me out :(.

Edited by Ragnar Darkmane, 09 June 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#2 Korlandril

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 110 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

<p class="mech-stats-stats">
  • Free slots 6
  • Engine STD ENGINE 260
  • Speed 49.6 kph 54.5 kph (speed tweak)
  • Double Heatsinks 18
Armaments
  • 4 MEDIUM LASER
  • 2 LRM 10
  • 2 PPC
  • 2 STREAK SRM 2
  • Beagle probe.
  • enjoy ;)\
-jenni-

#3 Korlandril

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 110 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostKorlandril, on 09 June 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

<p class="mech-stats-stats">
  • Free slots 6
  • Engine STD ENGINE 260
  • Speed 49.6 kph 54.5 kph (speed tweak)
  • Double Heatsinks 18
Armaments
  • 4 MEDIUM LASER
  • 2 LRM 10
  • 2 PPC
  • 2 STREAK SRM 2
  • Beagle probe.
  • enjoy ;)\
-jenni-

Persoanlly I prefer a larger rack of standard SRM's, but thats just me. In a stalker, your not maneuverble enough to even get consistant locks with streaks, ha, i prefer a shotgun of srm's to at least do some damage.

#4 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

More PPC Stalker's. Better at PPCing than a PPC Awesome. Good Game This.

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

300 STD, 4x mlas, 3x SSRM, BAP and less leg armor.

#6 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 09 June 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

More PPC Stalker's. Better at PPCing than a PPC Awesome. Good Game This.

Well, it's not like I'm running around with 4+ PPCs simply to abuse boating as long as it still works. Because the rest of my guns are only effective below 200m I like to have some long range weapons to compensate for that. The new heat system the devs are going to enable sooner than later will only punish people for using more than 2 PPCs (which is fair as the Battle Tech lore is full of mechs/tanks running around with 2 PPCs).

#7 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aa89a4bc37cf75e

I suggest this build.

BLOOD FOR KHRONE!

#8 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'd swap the medium pulse lasers for medium lasers to save tonnage, and because medium lasers have better range for almost the same damage anyway. You're probably also going to want some heatsinks. I don't think you really need bap, the ppcs will cut through ecm and you don't need the lockon bonus very much if you're going to use the erppcs for your main guns.

#9 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I finally tweaked my Stalker to the point that I have to say that its current performance is far beyond what I first expected. The guns fit my playstyle (sniper/brawler hybrid), it's tough and still fast enough to get into the fight.
This is my current build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...15b53bd6972cb71

Originally I had 2 MPLs in the arms, that's why the engine is not as maxed as it could currently be (300 engine) and that's also why the leg armor is over the top (there is simply nothing useful to buy for 0.5-1T with the remaining slots preventing me from mounting more heat sinks). As it later turned out the medium lasers pretty much outperformed the Pulsers (especially when it comes to heat) so I replaced them with another set of MLs. That freed up 2 Tons which I used for installing BAP and maxing the leg armor. I have to say that the BAP works far better than expected, the lock on time boost makes the SSRMs far more viable against lights and the counter-ECM effect is REALLY effective against all those ECM Spiders/Ravens running around. Besides that countering ECMs within 150m is always good to have.
Any comments?

#10 Kylarus

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image
Ciaphas Cain Approves!

Note: I have no idea the viability, as I don't drive Stalkers much.

Edited by Kylarus, 18 June 2013 - 04:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users