Seismic Is Crazy Op - How To Balance

291 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Seismic Sensor Modification (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Seismic Sensor be disabled while your Mech is moving?

1. Yes. It needs to be nerfed and this is a good way to achieve that. (101 votes [45.29%])

Percentage of vote: 45.29%

2. No. It is fine the way it is. (83 votes [37.22%])

Percentage of vote: 37.22%

3. No. I have a better idea which I explained in my post. (39 votes [17.49%])

Percentage of vote: 17.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 July 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Considering that practically EVERYTHING in this game (weapons included) requires LOS.. the only bit of stuff that doesn't follow that paradigm is ECM, BAP (when countering ECM), and Seismic.

Clearly, someone didn't think this through.

UAV and LRMs do not require direct LOS though LRMS can be made more easy to hit with Direct LoS..

#282 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostLugh, on 16 July 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

UAV and LRMs do not require direct LOS though LRMS can be made more easy to hit with Direct LoS..

UAV is the most recent exception to the rule, along with Seismic. My point is... most of the stuff is dependent on LOS. They are slowly eating away at this behavior though.

#283 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostLefteye, on 16 July 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

I have more money than I can spend in this game, their money sinks are just ridiculous at this point, so no you are wrong.

The only people who want Seismic the way it is are those who like their games very simple and dumbed down to the "stupid" difficulty level. I guess they can't stand the pressure of having to actually communicate with teammates to find out where the enemy is, or they are not good enough to use scouts to achieve the same results. No, they want the game as easy as a slow-motion Call of Duty, and next thing they are gonna ask for is a blue light that tells you if you are being targeted because it is part of the MWO (?) Universe and because OMG THE SHOOT ME BEFORE I SEE THEM HOW WRONG IS THAT?

This is hilarious.

I guess I want the game dumbed down to the stupid difficulty level then. I can stand the presssure of telling my teammates' don't stray too far, there is movement in B4.

Scouts you say? what bloomin scouts? Most light pilots (aka the super hidden spider) think that they have this thing called stealth. What it is called is ECM and jump jets. So they use those in combination with funky hit boxes and think that they are Assault hunters. Can the crap already. Seismic is crazy powerful, yes. It can be slotted by all. It does what it is supposed to do, improve situational awareness.

next thing they are gonna ask for is a blue light that tells you if you are being targeted because it is part of the MWO

This WAS in the game. We screamed for them to take it out. Where were you?

Light pilots just gotta deal with the fact that someone with seismic can find them. It doesn't mean that you can do anything about it, because the little buggers are too dam hard to hit. I saw one of these dam things take out three assaults last night, by playing ring around the rosie with large lasers. No sympathy from me.

#284 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

2) As an extension of this, multiple seismic hits clustered together would create a sort of blob of red as all the sources that you are detecting bleed together; this blob could be utilized by light mechs to sneak in, since their own seismic hit will be lost in the sea of red.

This is totally counter-intuitive. Seismic was created to stop light mechs from sneaking in. Duh!

Oh, Seismic is not OP, it will not save you from the Stalker PPC madness in 8 mans that is going on. 8-)

Edited by Relaed, 16 July 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#285 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

We it invalidates most kinds of light Mech gameplay.

BUT: i LIKE the idea that it only works if YOU YOURSELF stand still.

#286 CravenMadness

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNGNG TS3

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Just make tonnage effect seismic sensor, rather than adding the speed variable as well. Don't detect anything under 50 tons until it's like 100 meters away, other big stompies at further distances out. Right now, it's 'supposedly' dependent on victim's weight and speed. So... In theory, a slow moving light... shouldn't show up ... Which is a ******** thing to have which makes there be no counter to mechs with seismic.

#287 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Tons of anything stomping on the ground will be picked up - period.

View PostCravenMadness, on 16 July 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Just make tonnage effect seismic sensor, rather than adding the speed variable as well. Don't detect anything under 50 tons until it's like 100 meters away, other big stompies at further distances out. Right now, it's 'supposedly' dependent on victim's weight and speed. So... In theory, a slow moving light... shouldn't show up ... Which is a ******** thing to have which makes there be no counter to mechs with seismic.

#288 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

I have been advocating a reduction in radius from the day it came out (when I bought it 1st thing).

I think 180.250 is perfect for Seismic. But I may be wrong. I want to see it in aciton at this level before I ask for more changes.

#289 The Original Prankster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostRelaed, on 16 July 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Tons of anything stomping on the ground will be picked up - period.

If you're going to look at it that way, then mechs should be detected at any range. But basic RL physics will tell you that heavier stomps will show up more easily at distance than lighter ones. The rest is up to the sensitivity of the sensor. Hell, if we go far enough in turning this realistic, we should see LRMs hitting the ground on seismic.

#290 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostSprouticus, on 16 July 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

I have been advocating a reduction in radius from the day it came out (when I bought it 1st thing).

I think 180.250 is perfect for Seismic. But I may be wrong. I want to see it in aciton at this level before I ask for more changes.

Honestly this would be fine. I really don't think siesmic is OPed as is to be honest but since they are going to tweek it anyway, the reduction in range just seems to be the best place to start.

What I don't want to see is them break it and nerf it to uselessness, especially after I invested all my GXP on it because I know they will nerf it without offering a refund of GXP.

Honestly, what I really wanted was a module that offered some sort of short range rear facing radar that identified when a enemy mech visually came into view in the rear arc, something that mimiced the 360 degree vision that mechs in Canon came equiped with. Siesmic just happens to be the closest and only module with this capability.

#291 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

The items works, and works well. There is no reason to change it all.

#292 The Original Prankster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostRelaed, on 16 July 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

The items works, and works well. There is no reason to change it all.

Point is, it works too well. If you have to load it in to any mech loadout from scouts to assaults to LRM boats, it's a clear indication that it's OP, and everyone having it all the time does kinda defeat the whole purpose of it being a module, don't you think? You might just as well have it be a built-in feature.

For the moment it mostly works as a hinderance to new players who are at a serious disadvantage before they go and die enough times to be able to afford it, but it plays absolutely no tactical value in fights between more experienced players since everyone has it.

Edited by HollowPoint, 16 July 2013 - 05:50 PM.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users