Seismic Is Crazy Op - How To Balance

291 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Seismic Sensor Modification (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Seismic Sensor be disabled while your Mech is moving?

1. Yes. It needs to be nerfed and this is a good way to achieve that. (101 votes [45.29%])

Percentage of vote: 45.29%

2. No. It is fine the way it is. (83 votes [37.22%])

Percentage of vote: 37.22%

3. No. I have a better idea which I explained in my post. (39 votes [17.49%])

Percentage of vote: 17.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Currently only have the basic version unlocked that only goes out to 200m. I've already been in numerous situations where I would have died/lost/not gotten a kill if I had not possessed it. Examples:

1. In the water on Forest Colony on the top side of the map, there's that big rock in the water by Kappa. By that rock, I've been able to know where the enemy light (or larger mechs, but I can't kill those in a single alpha) is going without seeing him at all. This lets me simply walk around to the side that I know he's going to escape from and lets me kill him. If I had lacked Seismic, I would have gone around the wrong way most likely and he would have gotten away.

2. In Canyon Network, by one of the support beams for the bridge near that side's spawn zone (between Epsilon and the home base). I was being chased by a Hunchback and Blackjack; I was a Catapult with yellow exposed CT internals, so obviously I wouldn't have lasted very long due to the huge CT hitbox. Seismic allowed me to know which direction my pursuers were going and thus I could just keep going in a circle around the support pillar and up the hill in sync with them until my surviving teammates arrived to draw fire and kill them. I would have died without Seismic.

3. Knowing where enemies are in urban environments in Frozen/River City lets me know where to strike/escape without error. I don't have a fancy story to go with this one.

4. In Caustic Valley, being able to see enemy flanking movement even while they're hidden behind the hills making up the sides of the caldera (particularly against lights).

5. Other minor situations that aren't as memorable.

TL;DR: I only have the basic Seismic unlocked and it has already enabled me to survive and/or kill when I would not have been able to survive or kill without the aid of the module. Equipping Seismic is literally a matter of life or death; equip Seismic to live or don't equip Seismic to die.

Edited by FupDup, 07 June 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#62 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

remove it it is a terrible concept and basically removes the need for scouting\awareness

add a poll option

seismic is a broken CONCEPT and needs to be completely removed or reworked

Edited by LordBraxton, 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#63 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Base detection ranges on the size of the unit being detected, and reduce detection range across the board.

400m is pretty insane. Running without advanced seismic, or at least in a team with more than 1 talkative person running them is basically doing it wrong.

Start with 20 tons @45m, work up incrementally to 100 tons at @150m.

Advanced version adds 10-25%, double is just too damn much.

At the moment it's basically a must have item.

#64 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

People don't want 3rd person, because it allows you to see around corners without exposing your mech for free.

People like the seismic sensor because it allows you to see around corners without exposing your mech for 6m C-Bills and 22,500 GXP.

The module gives HUGE advantage to SOME players, which is why people like it - asymmetric battlefield awareness. The GXP alone is OMFGrind and only the old timers can afford it or it it straight up P2W. It needs the nerf hammer more than anything else in the game.

#65 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 June 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

I write computer code. Seismic is most likely just a function which adds indicators to the minimap. They're either visible (if you have Seismic module) or not. Perhaps that seems mysteriously magical and incredibly complex, but it's not. At their hearts, programs are just ordered calls to modular sub-routines which modify values in memory and display results..

The fact that Seismic was added as a module amply demonstrates this.

Feel welcome to disprove me with the same source code you think I need to have seen. Til then I'll go with my 20 years of personal experience writing code, to know that what I'm proposing is quite simple.

I'm pretty sure you just got Poe's law-ed.

View PostEsplodin, on 07 June 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

People don't want 3rd person, because it allows you to see around corners without exposing your mech for free.

People like the seismic sensor because it allows you to see around corners without exposing your mech for 6m C-Bills and 22,500 GXP.

The module gives HUGE advantage to SOME players, which is why people like it - asymmetric battlefield awareness. The GXP alone is OMFGrind and only the old timers can afford it or it it straight up P2W. It needs the nerf hammer more than anything else in the game.
NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING AWAY MY GREY POUPON!

#66 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Also, you could make a similar argument with regards to coolant (due to the required gxp investment, and the nickel-and-dime credit investments), and those have remained untouched... AS SHOULD SEISMIC! FOREVER! MUWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAA >:) >:) >;).

#67 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Should also pickup weapons fire hitting the ground and allies movement. Should not pick up jumping mechs.

#68 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 June 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Technically, Seismic still allows ways to outsmart your opponent, just from further range.

You mean it doesn't affect all the stuff we've always been doing over 400m away from enemy mechs? It just doesn't allow the smart stuff below that range any longer.
And 'technically' is a pretty fine edge, maybe it's possible in premades to use seismic pings to draw the enemy in one direction, but in pug matches it's just something that reduces the intellectual burden on pilots. I kinda enjoy that burden, and think it fits into the battletech world quite nicely.

#69 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 07 June 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

You mean it doesn't affect all the stuff we've always been doing over 400m away from enemy mechs? It just doesn't allow the smart stuff below that range any longer. And 'technically' is a pretty fine edge, maybe it's possible in premades to use seismic pings to draw the enemy in one direction, but in pug matches it's just something that reduces the intellectual burden on pilots. I kinda enjoy that burden, and think it fits into the battletech world quite nicely.

Well, there was this one time where I had fixed 3 enemy mechs in Frozen City cave entrance (they had Seismic too so they knew I was in the cave), while my team had creamed the rest. It was a pug match. You don't need to be a pre-made to be smart with Seismic.

Since I love my Streakcat, naturally I am upset about Seismic module introduction. I simply bit the bullet and try my best at outsmarting the enemies with Seismic before they outsmart me.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 June 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#70 Disapirro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 254 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

I drive a light mech, spider 5D, almost exclusively and I too love this item. It has its downside, being tracked, but the upside for me is that I can avoid running into a mob. That upside, for me at least, far outweighs the downside. Not sure how this is such a big negative for some, but my perspective is it does not really hurt me in a light.

#71 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostDisapirro, on 07 June 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

I drive a light mech, spider 5D, almost exclusively and I too love this item. It has its downside, being tracked, but the upside for me is that I can avoid running into a mob. That upside, for me at least, far outweighs the downside. Not sure how this is such a big negative for some, but my perspective is it does not really hurt me in a light.

That's cause you run at 150kph. :)

Not many mechs can catch you even if they detect you.

#72 Disapirro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 254 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 June 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

That's cause you run at 150kph. :)

Not many mechs can catch you even if they detect you.

True, and maybe I skimmed the other posts too quickly, but I thought a lot of the complaints were about the negative impact on lights and mediums. I am disagreeing that it is bad for lights.

Edited by Disapirro, 07 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#73 Aslena

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

leave it the heck alone... at least something in this game resembles realism... like it would be hard to detect mech stomping....

#74 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostAslena, on 07 June 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

at least something in this game resembles realism...

Asking for realism in a giant robot game is like a straight woman walking into a g-y bar in search of a date.

Edited by FupDup, 07 June 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#75 Reith Dynamis

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

No way does that support the OP way Seismic Sensor has been implemented in MWO.

That’s your opinion agaisnt mine and other, some may agree with you. And in so much this is MWO interpretation. Don’t like it? Go make your own interpretation of battletech in your own game

It merely mentions Seismic in passing as one of an array of integrated sensors. Nowhere does it say that Seismic magically provides data about enemy locations in a several hundred metre wide radius, even in places where the Mech's radar can't detect them.

Nowhere does it say it doesn’t also. Your point is moot. MWO is a science fiction and as such the current implementation of battle mechs isn’t anymore feasible then seismic.

Sarna mentions Mechs have thermal sensors. By your logic that should be enough justification for PGI to implement full thermal images of enemy Mechs through hills and buildings.

Straw man argument since I’ve never mentioned thermal sensors and there is no ability ingame to feature what you have described. There is no logic for you to assume how I would think on the issue of thermal. You’r not following logic since your assuming something.

No. BattleTech has a long and rich history. It deserves better than having game-changing inventions shovelled into it without care, thought or precedent.

Fine, don’t get over it. But you are in fact wrong, whether or not you realize that rich and log history is not being invalidated by a module which thus lore supports (possible not in the way you would have liked, again your opinion man) other people are welcome to it since it available to everyone who wishes to purchase it on their mech, unlike ECM.

Edited by Reith Dynamis, 07 June 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#76 Aslena

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 June 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Asking for realism in a giant robot game is like a straight woman walking into a g-y bar in search of a date.

mabe... but this version of MechWarrior has the worst hud range I've ever seen and it helps with that... and not to mention it's not that op or I'd use it on all my mechs and I don't

#77 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

The moment the module made it in the game, it was a lost opportunity to add something more simulation-esque for our futury Mech experience. It would be far better if the Seismic was represented by a gauge meter in the cockpit (so much unused potential in the cockpits as is), or on the hud that shows something like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It could be a display in cockpit, or hud, that shows something like that and as it starts to detect nearby "mech steps" the meter jumps higher, and higher as something gets closer.

Essentially it would turn the seismic into something to be situationally aware about on your cockpit or hud.

#78 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostAslena, on 07 June 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

mabe... but this version of MechWarrior has the worst hud range I've ever seen and it helps with that... and not to mention it's not that op or I'd use it on all my mechs and I don't

Well you had better grabdeal, because with the XP sale on this weekend EVERYONE's going to have it. Have fun being K/D food for others.

#79 Yankee77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 June 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

I write computer code. Seismic is most likely just a function which adds indicators to the minimap. They're either visible (if you have Seismic module) or not. Perhaps that seems mysteriously magical and incredibly complex, but it's not. At their hearts, programs are just ordered calls to modular sub-routines which modify values in memory and display results..

The fact that Seismic was added as a module amply demonstrates this.

Feel welcome to disprove me with the same source code you think I need to have seen. Til then I'll go with my 20 years of personal experience writing code, to know that what I'm proposing is quite simple.

I'm not going to get in a Programming-Peen contest here. But if you seriously think it's that simple to make any change in a complex software... and you're willing to make such ludicrously broad assumptions about someone else's source code...

Well, to quote King Arthur: "You make me sad." :)

I'll leave it at that. :)

Edited by Itkovian, 07 June 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#80 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Seph that Grey Poupon ad is probably the best commercial I've ever seen. Changed my underwear during it, twice.

The mini map sucks by the way, needs zoomage.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users