If Srm Would Do 2.5 Dmg, You Wouldn't Complain About Ppc Boating.

94 replies to this topic

#21 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm all for increasing SRM damage so that it's twice of a LRM. But I'm not for boating. Neither PPCs nor SRMs

#22 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Make them OVER 9000!

OR

#23 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thing about old SRMs was, they weren't 2.5 damage per missile, they were 2.5 damage per missile *plus ridiculous buggy splash damage*, and even *then* they were only slightly OP. I have a feeling that 2.5 without buggy splash would be nowhere near OP.

Don't focus on the numbers. Remember the role SRMs played in the meta as it existed before the alpha/sniper craze. SRM damage should be set to whatever level is required so that they are powerful enough to re-balance the meta. If that means 2.5 damage per missile, so be it. If that means *3* damage per missile, so be it.

#24 LonestarrSB

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostFate 6, on 07 June 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

It's because he's a medium pilot (like myself) and he's tired of half of the mediums being complete garbage.

Im a medium pilot, they are far from garbage.

Pro Tip: piloting them correctly makes them good...just like almost anything else in the game.

#25 AbominableSnowman

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Making a weapon system more powerful is not the correct response to another weapon system being overpowered. The end result is simply two overpowered weapon systems.

#26 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostLonestarrSB, on 07 June 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Pro Tip: piloting them correctly makes them good...just like almost anything else in the game.

No no no. You can't tell the "Mediums suck" people that they're not piloting well. Its the mech! Its not that there is no weight matching and half of the opposition weighs 80+, its the mech! It isn't that SRMs are bad or everyone is boating PPCs, AC20s, and Gauss, its the mech! Didn't you go to the meeting? Sarcasm aside, SRMs do need to get bumped up but it isn't because of Mediums being in trouble. And Mediums aren't in trouble because of a lack of fire power but rather because most matches are setup with 4-5 mechs equaling or exceeding 65 tons.

Edited by Trauglodyte, 07 June 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#27 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Well personally I wouldn't complain about a wep, but that's just me I can't speak for this pristine jewel of a community.

#28 HarmAssassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

2.0 dmg per SRM missile would make them viable again, and since the splash radius was vastly reduced, they shouldn't be the overpowered mess that they were before. This would also return brawling to the game (unless the enemy is using Seismic Sensor Wallhack that is).

#29 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostLonestarrSB, on 07 June 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostTrauglodyte, on 07 June 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

No no no. You can't tell the "Mediums suck" people that they're not piloting well. Its the mech! Its not that there is no weight matching and half of the opposition weighs 80+, its the mech! It isn't that SRMs are bad or everyone is boating PPCs, AC20s, and Gauss, its the mech! Didn't you go to the meeting? Sarcasm aside, SRMs do need to get bumped up but it isn't because of Mediums being in trouble. And Mediums aren't in trouble because of a lack of fire power but rather because most matches are setup with 4-5 mechs equaling or exceeding 65 tons.

I really like to play mediums. Hell, I even do well in mediums. That doesn't mean they don't suck.

#30 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostFate 6, on 07 June 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

It's because he's a medium pilot (like myself) and he's tired of half of the mediums being complete garbage.

Same here...

I love my 4sp, and I still do decent damage in it, but it is pretty sad right now... Getting (effectively) one-shot by a 6 PPC Stalker is never fun.

#31 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostThuzel, on 07 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Same here...

I love my 4sp, and I still do decent damage in it, but it is pretty sad right now... Getting (effectively) one-shot by a 6 PPC Stalker is never fun.

Precisely. You can get good personal stats in a medium by playing like an opportunistic coward, but then you're not really helping the team as much as you need to.

#32 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Than we can reconsider.
And bring LRM down to 1.
I don´t accept less than twice twice the SRM damage.

Edit: And keep SSRM at 1.5.Personally i would just remove them from the game.The world would be a better place.

Edited by Solomon Ward, 07 June 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#33 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 07 June 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Precisely. You can get good personal stats in a medium by playing like an opportunistic coward, but then you're not really helping the team as much as you need to.

No fricken joke. I used to keep my 4sp and my Flame in regular rotation. And the thing is, the play style for those mechs should be entirely different. The 4sp was designed to be, and played well, as a close quarters brawler in limited space (between buildings, around cover, etc...). The Dragon plays well as a fast striker (Great for flanking, LRM hunting, hit-and-run, etc...). I used to love the differences between the two, and I'd often turn the tide in either one by playing to the strengths of the mech.

But not any more. If you play the 4sp now, you play it as a small dragon or you get your butt handed to you. You can't afford to be daring when a single salvo from an assault can remove an entire side of your mech, or just kill you outright. It's one of the things that makes this game a lot less interesting.

#34 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 07 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

I really like to play mediums. Hell, I even do well in mediums. That doesn't mean they don't suck.

Don't get me wrong, I know what he was saying. But even with SRMs at 2.0, it doesn't change the fact that Mediums are struggling not because of SRM damage but because you're simply getting out weighted. So many Heavies and Assault are on the battlefield that the benefit of being an inexpensive weapons platform with decent speed just doesn't help. For that matter, Mediums are getting hosed and Lights are right there behind them. But, at least they have 150kph as a benefit. Anyway, all that I was saying is that SRMs are a small portion of the problem while weight imbalance and heavy weapon boating is the cancer that is plaguing the game.

#35 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yes, if they did that much damage we'd all complain about splat cats. Boating is a problem that must be addressed in some manner because people don't want epic and protracted fights between large and powerful tanks, they want quick and easy kills.

I think heat will play a role in balancing things, but I'm not sure how. I think weapon recoil would also help. Firing multiple SRMs, LRMs, AC20s, Gauss rifles and PPCs should cause recoil that would, some how, negatively affect your machine. From accuracy, to causing your mech to shudder, slow down, rock or whatever. Lasers would not cause recoil so this would give you a reason to load them. Again, just an idea.

To be honest, though, I don't care anymore. I just want my 4SP to be a brawler again.

#36 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostTheMightyWashburn, on 07 June 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Perhaps not. But we would complain about 90 damage splat cats. Are you ******** or something?

Why would it be beneficial to trade 40 alpha boomjags or 60 alpha PPC boats for 90 alpha splat cats?

I think the damage should be increased but not this much.

IDK Wash, the missiles are pretty spread out right now. A 90 point alpha into 3-5 locations isn't all that impressive at this point. And that requires 6 SRM6 to pull off, so if they add heat penalties to firing a bunch of them at once, it wouldn't be that bad.

Like I said in another thread, I would start at at least 2 and go up from there, but I could see it end up being around 2.3-2-5 where it felt right again.

Edited by shabowie, 07 June 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#37 redreaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

SRMS are good enough now any more buffs and they will become too dangerous and we will see the return of splat cats. im already annoyed by the 3 srm6 CN 9 As popping up again. A 0.1 damage increase would be all i give them.

#38 Umbra8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have to concur that SRM's need to have more than their current punch to put them where they need to be in the meta. The thing about them is they are the low tonnage high-alpha weapon system for brawling mechs that don't have the spare tonnage or crits for larger more versatile weapons systems (I'm looking at you PPC's and Autocannons). This puts them very much in the baliwack of medium or light mechs. Heavy punch with situational drawbacks (weapon spread, low range, explosive ammo) are what, for me, define a fast medium brawler. Get in, punch hard, and use you superior speed/maneuverability over heavies and assaults to get out again. I defiantly feel a moderate increase in damage for the current wide-spread/no splash SRM's would cause a commensurate resurgence of medium mechs. I would certainly dust mine off.

#39 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postshabowie, on 07 June 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

IDK Wash, the missiles are pretty spread out right now. A 90 point alpha into 3-5 locations isn't all that impressive at this point. And that requires 6 SRM6 to pull off, so if they add heat penalties to firing a bunch of them at once, it wouldn't be that bad.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't 4x SRM6s with Artemis plus having Tag and maybe an energy weapon of some sort for added punch be better off, along with being more heat efficient, then 6x SRM6s? I played up three Catapults but quit back before the splash nerf cause it just felt dirty.

#40 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

View Postredreaper, on 07 June 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

SRMS are good enough now any more buffs and they will become too dangerous and we will see the return of splat cats. im already annoyed by the 3 srm6 CN 9 As popping up again. A 0.1 damage increase would be all i give them.

Totally disagree. I recently made a few runs in a 4xASRM Stalker that had 4 medium lasers. In my best round I ran through over 500 SRMs and did only 800 damage, with a large percentage of my missiles hitting. That is far too weak. A .1 damage increase would be laughable, it's only .6 damage per SRM6 volley and that damage is spread all over the target mech.

Edited by shabowie, 07 June 2013 - 05:20 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users