If Srm Would Do 2.5 Dmg, You Wouldn't Complain About Ppc Boating.

94 replies to this topic

#61 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

By the time a splat cat reaches you one of it's ears should be gone. Splat cats only worked in the brawler era, nowadays they will get eaten alive before they get close enough. Hell we even have seismic now, so they can't really ambush you.

Edited by Purlana, 27 June 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#62 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostPurlana, on 27 June 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

By the time a splat cat reaches you one of it's ears should be gone. Splat cats only worked in the brawler era, nowadays they will get eaten alive before they get close enough. Hell we even have seismic now, so they can't really ambush you.

Shh, you will wake the anti SRM trolls with your reason.... ;)

#63 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostFate 6, on 07 June 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

It's because he's a medium pilot (like myself) and he's tired of half of the mediums being complete garbage.

More than half.

#64 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostDocBach, on 27 June 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

SRMs should be set at 2 and see how they do. Putting them up to 2.5 will let Clan SRM-6s which weigh 1.5 tons have insane amounts of damage for 1.5 tons.

Not like we're ever going to see CSRMs.

Anyone who ever whined about splat-cats needs to L2P. They were an annoyance, nothing more.

#65 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

2.5 damage is a bit over the top but with the current spread on SRMs I think upping it to 2.0 wouldn't be out of line. Honestly, who cares if you can do a 90 damage alpha if it is spread all over the mech and with the way SRMs work now, probably 25% of that 90 damage would miss entirely.

#66 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostKunae, on 27 June 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Not like we're ever going to see CSRMs.

Anyone who ever whined about splat-cats needs to L2P. They were an annoyance, nothing more.

Back when SRMs did more damage, splat cats were blatantly OP. It's not difficult to let your teammates move up first before you move in to avoid be focused almost entirely. People complain about PPCs, but splatcats could kill you even faster. Combine that with splatcat 4mans and you were either not playing much back then or you were part of the splatcat kill farming.

#67 Purlana

• 1,647 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Back when SRMs did more damage, splat cats were blatantly OP. It's not difficult to let your teammates move up first before you move in to avoid be focused almost entirely. People complain about PPCs, but splatcats could kill you even faster. Combine that with splatcat 4mans and you were either not playing much back then or you were part of the splatcat kill farming.

That was back when everyone was a brawler. In the new age of snipers, you will never get that close without losing an ear.

Edited by Purlana, 27 June 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#68 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

To those who are concerned about overbuffing srms, please remember that by the time srms were nerfed brawling was already on the way out. The nerfing of srms was merely one of the final nails in the coffin. Brawling requires u to get in close, which is no small feat in the current game. Unfortunately once you get there most of the long range builds are still more effective in close. I spend most of my time in midrange direct fire support, and whenever an srm mech manages to close the gap with me a small part of me even feels a little sorry for him. There needs to be a clear advantage given to the srms in close, and not only is that edge not there, but the srms are actually often a disadvantage at their effective range.

Edited by Huntsman, 27 June 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#69 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostPurlana, on 27 June 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

That was back when everyone was a brawler. In the new age of snipers, you will never get that close without losing an ear.

If you blindly charge out without your teammates. I can do just fine in my 4sp in a decent ELO bracket against ppc spammers, considering how I have to be up close to do any damage. SRMs should be buffed, but doing it incrementally is better than straight upping it back to 2.5.

#70 Purlana

• 1,647 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

If you blindly charge out without your teammates. I can do just fine in my 4sp in a decent ELO bracket against ppc spammers, considering how I have to be up close to do any damage. SRMs should be buffed, but doing it incrementally is better than straight upping it back to 2.5.

In PUG matches your teammates won't be pushing at all. They are too busy sniping with PPCs. The only Atlas on your team probably has PPCs / and 1 GR ;)

Edited by Purlana, 27 June 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#71 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostPurlana, on 27 June 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

In PUG matches your teammates won't be pushing at all. They are too busy sniping with PPCs. The only Atlas on your team probably has PPCs / and 1 GR :P

Or 3 LRM 15's and 2 erppcs. ;)

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Nope. I was part of the group anally-violating splat-cats on my Jenner.

#72 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

And how skillful do you think you are and what is your ELO? We will never know and neither will you. Your evidence is purely anecdotal.

And I tell ya what, Ill take my 732 and you take your SP. Start at 50m with you shooting at my back. First thing I do will take half your mech off after I run away and jump turn and you eat 3 ERPPCs and a guass. But then again, I may miss, but its unlikely at 50m....

This part of a bigger issue that needs to be addressed with the heat system.

#73 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostKaldor, on 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

And how skillful do you think you are and what is your ELO? We will never know and neither will you. Your evidence is purely anecdotal.

And I tell ya what, Ill take my 732 and you take your SP. Start at 50m with you shooting at my back. First thing I do will take half your mech off after I run away and jump turn and you eat 3 ERPPCs and a guass. But then again, I may miss, but its unlikely at 50m....

This part of a bigger issue that needs to be addressed with the heat system.

Hence the teammate part. Duh an assault has a higher chance of beating a medium one on one. Most maps also have such a thing as cover.

Edited by jakucha, 27 June 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#74 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

yup no one would complain about PPC because the fields would be flooded with splat cats again.

#75 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Postblinkin, on 27 June 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

yup no one would complain about PPC because the fields would be flooded with splat cats again.

Stalkers, of any variety, are the natural prey of brawler mediums and skirmisher lights.

Splat-cats are the natural prey of snipers, LRM boats, and skirmisher lights.

The circle of life would be complete. :(

#76 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Hence the teammate part. Duh an assault has a higher chance of beating a medium one on one. Most maps also have such a thing as cover.

Youre preaching to the choir. I was a die hard Hunchy pilot, primarily 4SP, in closed beta and pretty much up until SRM nerfs. I still play my 4P from time to time, but its tough, one good hit pretty much finishes me. However to claim that mediums are viable only on your own anecdotal evidence is reaching pretty far.

When talking about teamwork, chances are I will have my buddy standing there with a big alpha boat to finish you after I take my first shot. :( Cover will only get you so far, sooner or later you will be in the open and seismic will prevent you from back-dooring me.

#77 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostKaldor, on 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Also, these are the last 5 matches I've played: http://imgur.com/a/jKcvZ?gallery#0. All with the same loadout of 2 srm6, 1 Large Pulse and 1 Medium Laser. I didn't say SRMs don't need to be buffed, or that the heat system doesn't need to be reworked. I'm saying if they buff the SRM too quickly there's a bigger chance they'll just get splatcat apocalypse 2.0. Incrementally is better.

Edited by jakucha, 27 June 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#78 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Also, these are the last 5 matches I've played: http://imgur.com/a/jKcvZ?gallery#0. All with the same loadout of 2 srm6, 1 Large Pulse and 1 Medium Laser. I didn't say SRMs don't need to be buffed, or that the heat system doesn't need to be reworked. I'm saying if they buff the SRM too quickly there's a bigger chance they'll just get splatcat apocalypse 2.0. Incrementally is better.

Edit: nope not even going to bother

Edited by Kaldor, 27 June 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#79 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostKunae, on 27 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Stalkers, of any variety, are the natural prey of brawler mediums and skirmisher lights.

Splat-cats are the natural prey of snipers, LRM boats, and skirmisher lights.

The circle of life would be complete. :(

actually i like stalkers, when i pilot my SRM cat. they don't shoot back and rarely even look at me because they are slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww.

#80 Andrew Cranston

• PipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

**Edit** No clue why it screwed up the quote but I was replying to Weaselballs comment:

"PGI needs to give SRM's the MG treatment, and start buffing them by 0.1 or 0.2 damage a patch until they're at a sweet spot. I have no idea why they haven't already been doing this."

Because they already have new balance changes coming down the pipe and if there is one thing they've proven, it's that if they change multiple things at once they drastically screw up balance almost every time. Lets fix the PPC meta before we change other weapons systems shall we? I typically play a sniper, I hate PPC's in their current form (mostly I hate BOATING in its current form but PPCs are too strong singularly as well). Buffing weapons to counter something else is a bad idea though. It's partially how we got into this PPC mess in the first place. ECM anyone?

Edited by Andrew Cranston, 27 June 2013 - 11:56 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users