8 replies to this topic

#1 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm no pro gamer so I don't care too much about having truly pro things to show on YouTube (cus I can't really make the content in the first place lol) however I would still like to create nice looking videos which are smooth and clear. Up to now it's evaded me though.

I have an i5-3470 and a GTX 660 2GB factory OC and 8GB ram. Enough to play the game in 1920x1080, highest all round and AA on, flawless 60fps on any map with any action going on.. However when recording (with Fraps in 60fps full res) I have to turn AA off as it's just a bit too much for the system. No biggy really as that sort of detail is lost on YouTube anyway. I'll still get a bit of slowdown during things like heavy ballistics fire and on some maps with poor optimisation but it's otherwise nothing I'd cry about.

The problem is I'm struggling to find the right settings in Fraps and Vegas Pro 12. The raw vids that Fraps takes look great but are obviously too big to upload for a non-enthusiast. In the past on my old laptop I'd always converted to WMV as it seemed to work well and provided decent compression/quality. However the recent vids I took and uploaded on this PC look awful on YT.

Now, is there a better capture tool then Fraps? I looked at Dxtory but got confused by the pretty bad pigeon English. What settings and codec would you recommend in Vegas? Just had a test with MainConcept mp4 and that seemed to work really well with an excellent file size, good output quality and decent speed thanks to CUDA support.

Any suggestions?

#2 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

For fraps well i don't know but i heard there are some other game capture software that convert it to a smaller file and you don't have to do it yourself.

Yea i had 144 gigs with 47 videos that were unconverted - fraps.. :D ( Now 10 or so gigs)

I noticed a MILD fps boost with this but lame thing is you have to sign up (Its pretty easy to use after that)

http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

For sony vegas i used xvid codec and heres a tutorial

Xvid codec download itself is not included in video

http://www.xvid.org/
1. download and install
2.reboot sony vegas or all your computer if it does not show up in the dropdown bar
3.find it in drop down like the video

Use exactly those settings in sony vegas

For some reason the settings reset for me so i had to triple check (or less) to make sure they were right when i was preparing to render my video

I also used xvid codec for my first Mechwarrior video so here's of a sample of what it will look like
(no im not posting it to get more views :P )

FINNALY a software help thread i can respond to.... :rolleyes:

Im not experienced in the whole codec thing so there may be a better one im just tryin to elp

Edit: I also made a another video but with 1080p and i can't even remember how i did :\ httsp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlyFo-PQ-CI

if you want full 1080p powa you may not want to use the xvid codec

Edited by kesuga7, 05 June 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#3 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

You can also sacrafice a little bit of recording FPS for increased IQ, I aim for 9000kbps for my final encode, and I have found that @ 20fps, it is smooth enough to watch and the IQ is good.

Edited by Lordred, 05 June 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#4 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Great advice, many thanks guys.

This is what I made previously without any actual editing. I'm quite proficient when it comes to editing to make it look all coolio but I just wanted to up these as more of a test of the record/encode more than anything else and I was a bit disappointed in comparison to what I'd done before.

With a "1080p" MainConcept mp4 encode, I was quite impressed with the filesize and speed thanks to CUDA. I'll try out the xvid one but I was always lead to believe mp4 was a step ahead of xvid when it comes to HD?

Nice vids btw guys :P

#5 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Can i ask how you put a premade thumbnail into one of your videos?

I thought that you had to be a youtube partner or something to do that

iMPEG-4 is MP4 right? Skip to 2:34 in Tut. video
or do you mean theres a 1080p MPEG-4/MP4 method
either way i still need to get my videos higher quality :s

Edited by kesuga7, 05 June 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#6 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Dunno about the thumbnail thing other than I'm given the option for it when uploading :\ I think some of my previous gaming vids were viewed by enough "2nd world asian countries" to give me the option of monetising and so on.

The 1080p mp4 preset I looked at is simply one of the presets in Vegas Pro 12. When you choose to render it's listed as "MainConcept AVC/AAC(*.mp4;*.avc)". I then took the "Internet HD 1080p" template and adjusted a few things, like dropping the audio slightly and increasing the frame rate to 60 fps. During mainly dark moments like a tunnel run in Forest, it looks bloody awful due to excessive compression however the overall playback and filesize is outstanding.

I have a vid done to upload but I'm gonna try and take a few and edit some pieces together to make something decent. I don't want to lose the 2 YouTube followers I managed to get in the last 2 years you know :)

p.s. Those 2 vids I posted were processed into wmv and not mp4. They were pretty large in size and their streaming quality is pretty bab, hence why I ask about the best encoding for YT. Granted I'm not going to get "real 720/1080" on YT but so many of the other vids I see out there look much better while having a 1080 stream available for them.

Edited by Kyocera, 05 June 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#7 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

I found a pretty good tutorial for youtube 1080p and he explains most of the stuff including the basics.

He also talks about Main Concept AVC/AAC (MP4 ect.) his opinion about it is that he dislikes using because it darkens the video and you may even have to use color/lighting correction.

( 9:47 ) Linked it to where he starts talking about it

http://youtu.be/zjxwI9vRxzc?t=9m47s

USEFUL INFO ABOUT SONY VEGAS STARTS AT 6:20

Gonna try it out for mine but if anyone else has some input for high quality youtube videos please share among two noobs! :)

Edited by kesuga7, 06 June 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#8 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Alright so i uploaded a video (the same one) using that 1080p Tutorial Video and here are the results.
I noticed that the video isn't so zoomed in now

I was hoping to loop it but i just found out youtube fixed the loop glitch :huh: Also i can't seem to get it unbanned in germany

I have seen videos that have "Original" as a option in resolution settings but for now ill let this slide and maybe find out how to put the original resolution and quality on youtube later :P

anyway kyro wheres that other video at

Edited by kesuga7, 06 June 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#9 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Ok here's what I came up with and for the most part I'm quite happy with the output, as in the streaming quality, smoothness and the filesize I finished with. The AC/40 content is questionable though :) Although I must admit to shouting "sit the **** down!" when that Stalker crumbled lol.

I used the MainConcept mp4 codec with an average bit rate of 20Mbps which is probably a bit high. Plus I encoded it in 60fps when you don't need anything over 30fps for YouTube. The filesize came in at 541MB. At 30fps that would be nearly half at around 270MB and that bit rate can also come down a fair bit too.

I'm pretty happy with this for now. Thanks for all your help chaps.

Edited by Kyocera, 07 June 2013 - 02:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users