Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

THE-N Thorn
I Legio Martia Victrix: The Praetorian Guard
Marian Hegemony
http://camospecs.com/Unit.asp?ID=623

Description

The Thorn is a light BattleMech that was designed for frontline use. When the 'Mech first debuted for the Hegemony Armed Forces in the 24th Century, it was with a great deal of hype that unfortunately the 'Mech could never truly live up to. Critics who look at the 'Mech generally see it in one of two ways. As a light 'Mech that is not fast enough for its own good or a light 'Mech that tries to do a job that only a heavier 'Mech should.

Looking at the Thorn with neither bias, it is easy to see where these two viewpoints come from. As far as being able to intercept or hunt down recon 'Mechs of its era it is far too slow, and as far as front line combat the Thorn does not have the armor or staying power of most front line machines. The only real unique and advanced aspect of the Thorn is that it was the first 'Mech to utilize an Endo Steel chassis and CASE, which paved the way for much heavier 'Mechs in later eras to utilize the technology and make themselves far deadlier with a greater degree of survivability.
Armament

The Thorn carries a weapons array that is not usually seen on light 'Mechs. The reason for this is the use of the Zeus-5 LRM-5 launcher, paired with two Hellion Spitfire Medium Lasers. These weapons allow the Thorn some flexibility on the battlefield but with its slow speed and its lackluster armor, the Thorn is best suited as a light fire support unit for recon lances. The Zeus-5 can be easily replaced in a matter of hours, a fortunate feature for when it engages in hand-to-hand combat.

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

P.S. Originally this was the attempt to redo the Hermes, but as many have pointed out, my revision did not seem Hermes-esque enough and as Bishop Steiner showed, it closer resembles the Thorn. Maybe ill give the Hermes another attempt next time.

Another mistake, thread title shows THE-S Thorn, it should be THE-N Thorn. (Fixed, thanks Bishop)

Edited by Sommer Strauss, 07 June 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Your "mistake" has given birth to a friggin awesome THORN, which is cool to me, as I always liked the design, but as with so much FASA art, hated the art.

I wish my "screw ups" worked out so well!

also, if you open the editor and then go to "full editor", you should be able to fix the title.

I dunno, but you might be able to delete the other post there too, I deleted all my old ones on here.

color pic link is broken it appears, tho

#3 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

thanks Bishop! But it was you who discovered the Thorn in the Hermes. Good Job!

#4 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

But the medium laser is head mounted... Still looks very nice. The Thorn had a solid concept going, but the art never did it justice.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 07 June 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#5 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

But the medium laser is head mounted... Still looks very nice. The Thorn had a solid concept going, but the art never did it justice.

yeah, thought about fixing that but was too lazy. XD

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

well, I figure it is about as head mounted as the one on the Unseen Wolverine. Or the RT mouned AC5 that was right over the CT of the Marauder.

I think lowering it down looks better, myself, and one could still call it H, since teh distinction between H and CT seems pretty blurry sometimes

#7 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

the one alex did looks very similar

Posted Image

#8 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostTennex, on 07 June 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

the one alex did looks very similar

Posted Image

hey this is cool, did you find this from the concept art gallery? i should check it out.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostSommer Strauss, on 07 June 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

hey this is cool, did you find this from the concept art gallery? i should check it out.

i think it's from Alex's Deviant Art gallery, yeah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users