Weapon Systems: Realistic, Lore-Friendly, And Uncut

2 replies to this topic

#1 Dunher Wright

• PipPip
  • The Charge
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

thought I'd start a topic on what i believe are some unnecessarily nerfed weapon systems, i'm of course talking about the Gauss rifles, UAC/5s, Flamers, Machineguns. also on the underwhelming lack of weapon systems.
i'm asking the community what they think about these weapons, why they suck, and what could be done to make them better. this is mostly a bitching and venting topic for disgruntled players who hate the nerf mechanics done by PGi, your not alone.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

In their current form or ED 2.0 on the PTS? On the PTS the charge mechanism has been removed, they no longer have their 3x range but reduced to 2x range (IS AC2/LB-10X only ones left w/3x).

What are your feelings on the other weapons? Machine guns and flamers were meant for infantry suppression.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 27 August 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#3 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:59 AM

I personally think they need to make weapon fall off range not exist. Basically outside the weapons effective range it does not penetrate armor so it has no effect. The effect is to bring the alpha strike utility to much shorter ranges. Ultimately PGI has no chance at balance because they want to allow any and all customization for each mech. Quite simply hardpoint size needs to be implemented like it has in past Mechwarrior games. At which point you could use something like quirks to balance mechs. As it stands there is no way to balance or prevent a meta. Quite simply if you prevent boating you will have an epic game. No more LRM, Laser, SRM, DAKKA, boats.

Hardpoint size is the only way to fix this broken mechanic. The latest bandage fix is the new energy draw mechanic. I.E. we need to curb alpha strikes, but we don't want to have hardpoint size so we will create this energy charge thing to try and make it beneficial for players to self enforce hardpoint size.

Hey get the best of both worlds and make it such that you can turn off hardpoint size for private matches, but public queue gets hardpoint size enforced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users