Who Else Liked The Game More Before Dhs Were Introduced?

41 replies to this topic

#21 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

yeah - the ppc boats wouldnt be nearly as effective. I also miss the old heat values on the ppc :rolleyes:

#22 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Stupid loaded question is stupid and loaded. I opposed joint military action with the US less before Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring came out. Doesn't mean the two are in any way related at all.

#23 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 10 June 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Stupid loaded question is stupid and loaded. I opposed joint military action with the US less before Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring came out. Doesn't mean the two are in any way related at all.

Except that Joint millitary action with the US is in no way affected by LOTR. For better or worse, the gameplay of MWO was drastically changed when DHS were released. The two are intimately related.

Edited by The Cheese, 10 June 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#24 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 10 June 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Except that Joint millitary action with the US is in no way affected by LOTR. For better or worse, the gameplay of MWO was drastically changed when DHS were released. The two are intimately related.

Fair enough. Black Hawk Down then. Same year, and a link.

There is a huge amount different about MWO compared with the pre-DHS model. The implication that removing DHS would return the game to how it was before DHS is false, and that's my point.

#25 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 10 June 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

The implication that removing DHS would return the game to how it was before DHS is false, and that's my point.

And that point I do agree with. Too much else has been changed.

#26 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostZarkus, on 10 June 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

To be fair, while the Mechwarrior story itself didn't suffer from the Clan invasion, tabletop was wrecked by it.
To those of us playing tabletop at the time, initially it was candyland, finding new ways to blow things up more efficiently than previously possible. Later, it was simply uninteresting to me - damage had drastically outstripped defenses (mobility and armor combined). 3025-3026, far as I'm concerned, was the peak of the BattleTech ruleset.

I disagree. I was playing at the time. I enjoyed the Clans when they came out and enjoyed them for many years to follow. Sometimes we'd play Clans, sometimes IS, sometimes Clan vs IS, and it was always fun.

I don't understand why some people feel that everything has to be a giant slug-fest battle of attrition. I want to feel like hitting and getting hit matters.

#27 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostValore, on 10 June 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

I don't know what difference SHS made.

The game for me in stanges went: Slasback, World of Jenner Online, Gausscat, Streakcat, World of Raven Online, Splatcat, LL Boat, PPC boat, Poptarts ahoy, and so on so forth.

The game was never 'better'. Some of us just have rose tinted neurohelmet HUDs.

This. The Forum Vocal Minority always comes on to b-tch and complain about the latest thing that just trounced them. Most of us find a counter either by variant or tactics to counter the current FOTM. For me, most of the FOTM configs are easy to predict and the ones I don't I can usually counter by just analyzing the build before engaging. I have no idea why most of this community has trouble with this.

But then again, I've played MechWarrior for over a decade.

#28 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostBloody Moon, on 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Your memory tricked you, the game was not much different back then. At the time Dragon bowling and fast laserboat Hunchbacks were the FOTM.

Truly it was a paradise.

#29 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostTaemien, on 10 June 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Most of us find a counter either by variant or tactics to counter the current FOTM.

So then... abusing the FOTM as well? If it's clearly the best, and the old saying goes "if you can't beat 'em..."

#30 Mentalcowman

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

The best single heat sink mech config i remember was the 7 med pulse awesome when it was first released, that was strong since everyone brawled all day long.

#31 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Hey just to be clear I think the game balance is vastly improved now.

BUT

Now you simply have to bring as much alpha as humanly possible and fire it all at once for the split second that you break cover before the PPCs/Guass start coming in.

The balance is far better but the gameplay is much less fun IMO

#32 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

Overheat Warrior Online

Have you tried playing in a trial mech recently?

#33 Windsaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Well, AFAIK our clan mostly switched from ordinary 8-group matches to 8-group sync-drops with other clans in 3025-tech-only matches.
I haven't taken part in those tournaments yet, but from what I have heared they are much more fun than any other battles right now.

Sure, SHS aren't the only factor here (ER-PPCs, endo-steel and stuff like that is also forbidden) but it is surely a big factor.

#34 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

View Poststjobe, on 10 June 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I still think they should roll back to 3025. No DHS, no ES, no FF, no ER weapons, no UAC, just good ol' tier 1 tech.

And no cheesy Clans. We have enough fighting between the Inner Sphere houses to last us 25 years, and the mercenary market is *good*.

I am not oppoed to this, but they still need to fix their heat system. Or even more so than ever, because stock mechs don't work at all with the current mechanics and your best bet is downgrading your weapons to add more sinks to get a workable build.

I have no idea how the devs will handle Clan tech. Which I might have in common with them. :)

#35 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

I preferred it with less heat dissipation. Double heatsinks allows people to shoot more and bring more weapons. I definitely liked the game more before.

#36 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 11 June 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

I am not oppoed to this, but they still need to fix their heat system. Or even more so than ever, because stock mechs don't work at all with the current mechanics and your best bet is downgrading your weapons to add more sinks to get a workable build.

I have no idea how the devs will handle Clan tech. Which I might have in common with them. :)

Yes, the heat system needs a re-working no matter what. Lowered cap and increased dissipation for starters.

And I think you're not alone in not having a clue as to how Clan tech will be handled. You, me, the devs, I don't think anyone knows.

#37 Blackadder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

Players forget the changes that have improved the game, the only thing that was better in the SHS era, was the fact that battles lasted longer, however many people forget this was due to duration on lasers being very long compared to now making LL useless, issues with non gauss /UAC5 Builds, and hard limits on heat making large scale weapon builds non viable, as well as many other issues relating to latency, coding and other things.

#38 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

Double AC20's were so deadly back then. Not that I miss being called a hacker on a daily basis...

#39 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

"You whipper-snappers and your fancy double heat sinks! Why, back in my day we had to walk 10 miles though the snow just to cool enough to fire a Small Laser... and we were happy to fire it! Why, yes sirree, those were the golden days. Men were men, women were men pretending to be women, and sheep were a'feared! Now where did I put my teeth? Anyone seen my teeth?!"

;)

#40 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Nope. DHS made everything better.

Without them, we would be slaves to the AC40 Overlords.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users