Jump to content

How To Be A Better Pilot. Use A Joystick! (No Joke!)


63 replies to this topic

#21 1453 R

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

An interesting concept, and a nice demonstration video. As previously noted, you might want to include notes about the user.cfg changes needed to make a joystick work - as I recall they don't really translate well at the moment.

Beyond that, all I can really say is that anyone who still uses a straight-up standard keyboard/standard mouse setup for gaming of any sort is doing themselves a terrible disservice. I use an old Razer Nostromo keypad alongside a Naga MMOuse myself, and there isn't a single game in my library that hasn't benefited enormously from it. Simply having all those extra buttons under my right thumb has given me three quarters of the advantages Valder's joystick does, and the fact that my left hand gets to stay on the keypad instead of flying all over the keyboard doing awkward junk makes me both more comfortable and more responsive. In any video game, not just MechWarrior.

#22 Razuko

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

http://www.amazon.co...2/dp/B0000DC643
+
http://www.amazon.co...itech+trackball
=
https://www.google.c...qMOi30gGH7IGoDQ

View Post1453 R, on 14 June 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

An interesting concept, and a nice demonstration video. As previously noted, you might want to include notes about the user.cfg changes needed to make a joystick work - as I recall they don't really translate well at the moment.

Beyond that, all I can really say is that anyone who still uses a straight-up standard keyboard/standard mouse setup for gaming of any sort is doing themselves a terrible disservice. I use an old Razer Nostromo keypad alongside a Naga MMOuse myself, and there isn't a single game in my library that hasn't benefited enormously from it. Simply having all those extra buttons under my right thumb has given me three quarters of the advantages Valder's joystick does, and the fact that my left hand gets to stay on the keypad instead of flying all over the keyboard doing awkward junk makes me both more comfortable and more responsive. In any video game, not just MechWarrior.


Absofrickinlutely, nostromo for every game.

Edited by Razuko, 14 June 2013 - 11:19 AM.


#23 Valder

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Post1453 R, on 14 June 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

An interesting concept, and a nice demonstration video. As previously noted, you might want to include notes about the user.cfg changes needed to make a joystick work - as I recall they don't really translate well at the moment.


They actually fixed the previous issues with binding joystick controls. You don't need to edit your user.cfg file at all, you just plug in the joystick, start the game, go to options, and set bindings.... I'll make a video for this in the near future to tie in with this one =)

#24 Fuerchtegott

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm sure I will look like an ***** doing so, but i'll give it a shot with my 360 Pad.
Maybe there will be even an use for those analogbuttons.

#25 Valder

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

I updated the linked video page with an image of how I configure my joystick in game, after a few requests.

Edited by Valder, 23 June 2013 - 01:05 PM.


#26 Ningyo

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well got a joystick, and to be honest I am not good with it. A lot of using it seems very promising, and I will continue to try from time to time, but not having used a joystick for many many years (Atari maybe?) I just am not used to it. Still there is a lot to like about it so I think in the long run it will improve my game.


I would like to mention I got the madcatz Fly 5, and I rather regret it. There are not many left handed options out there it seems, so not sure if I could have found better. BUT it really is a right handed joystick, and a fairly uncomfortable one too. Also you will need to get some type of clamp to hold its back to your desk. Also this might be true of all joysticks, but if you have small hands its hard to use the thumb buttons no matter how you adjust it. Overall I wish I had looked further or gotten a used (though joysticks wear out so this is risky) Cyborg EVO as these looked to be a much better option. (did not get one though so no guarantees)

#27 Thango

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have a cyborg EVO and the game does not detect it for forward and backwards movement, I cant un-bind keys seems no one knows how. This is another reason I don't put money into this game yet.

View PostRazuko, on 14 June 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:



Better yet... http://gaming.logite...anced-gameboard

#28 Valder

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostNingyo, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

I would like to mention I got the madcatz Fly 5, and I rather regret it. There are not many left handed options out there it seems, so not sure if I could have found better. BUT it really is a right handed joystick, and a fairly uncomfortable one too. Also you will need to get some type of clamp to hold its back to your desk. Also this might be true of all joysticks, but if you have small hands its hard to use the thumb buttons no matter how you adjust it. Overall I wish I had looked further or gotten a used (though joysticks wear out so this is risky) Cyborg EVO as these looked to be a much better option. (did not get one though so no guarantees)


I'm pretty sure that the FLY 5 is a newer version of the one I show in the video. I'd play with the adjustments a lot, it helps. One thing for sure is to adjust the stick's tilt all the way back as far as possible. Since you spend most of the match holding the stick forward, this helps with the stick tilting over. But if you don't clamp it or sticky tack it down, you also have to give it lots of downward pressure to move it forward without tipping it over.

One of the benefits for that stick is that it should actually have pretty robust programming software for macros. You just need to figure out how to work the 'advanced' options to make them work in the stick configuration program. I've successfully made different UAC macros (to fire them every 1.1 seconds) that make my UACs never jam, and fire around 1/3rd faster than a standard AC5. I've also made pretty cool triple and quad AC2 macros that 'chainfire' at full speed (quad shoots an AC2 every 0.125 seconds!). You can also use it to set a button for leaving a TAG laser firing all match instead of using the throttle. I still use the throttle tho, because it's easier to set up and the only time you mess with it is at the start of a match.

So, if you can get used to the stick, there's some definite benefits...

View PostThango, on 23 June 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I cant un-bind keys seems no one knows how.


You can't 'unbind keys' but you can get rid of all but 1 binding very easily. Just go down the list, hitting the same button over and over for anything that already has a binding. Each time you do it it will erase the previous bind to that button, until eventually there's only 1 button bound to 1 command.

Edited by Valder, 23 June 2013 - 12:46 PM.


#29 SnowdogJJJ

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationNorth East PA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I can't get my joystick to set right and left (at the same time) or forward and back . I can get it to set one direction (forward or back)(right or left) ie I set the turn right to joystick (no problem) then I try to then set left the right goes away. Same with forward, when I set forward (works fine) and then go to set back (with joy stick) and the forward goes away. What am I doing wrong I wonder.

#30 Valder

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostSnowdogJJJ, on 23 June 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I can't get my joystick to set right and left (at the same time) or forward and back . I can get it to set one direction (forward or back)(right or left) ie I set the turn right to joystick (no problem) then I try to then set left the right goes away. Same with forward, when I set forward (works fine) and then go to set back (with joy stick) and the forward goes away. What am I doing wrong I wonder.


You're trying to bind Turn Left and Turn Right instead of Analog Turn. Check out the image from the link in the first post, it should give you some insight on how to set it.

Edited by Valder, 23 June 2013 - 01:04 PM.


#31 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,971 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I've been using a Joystick / Gamepad since Mw3/4 Days. Later on I've been using a dual stick gamepad. The biggest advantage is by far the smoothness of piloting (especially when trying to perform multiple turns/action while Jump Jetting). For Assault mechs, the difference is neglible, but in a light or medium, the benefits of using a Joystick/Gamepad are amazing.

#32 Thango

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostValder, on 23 June 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

You can't 'unbind keys' but you can get rid of all but 1 binding very easily. Just go down the list, hitting the same button over and over for anything that already has a binding. Each time you do it it will erase the previous bind to that button, until eventually there's only 1 button bound to 1 command.


Hey good thinking, thanks Valder!

#33 Free Capella

    Rookie

  • 3 posts
  • Location'MERika

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Great infos. As a new player I'm looking to get my permanent setup configured as soon as possible. I'll try this setup as soon as I figure out what I'm doing. ty for sharing.

#34 DrewSP

    Rookie

  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks! I just plugged in my JS to try this and I really like it. It is gonna take some getting used to.

#35 Jimmons

    Member

  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

I picked up a Razer Nostromo a while back, and I love it. Essentially the same thing as the Belkin n52. All those buttons along with the thumbstick controls for throttle and turning. Wouldn't play without it. Frees up my mouse-targeting hand (with a 5 button gaming mouse) for my fire control.

One piece of advise though for programming it. The Razer software and MWO joystick interface can be kinda sketchy. I recommend binding all of the Nostromo buttons, including the thumbstick, to keyboard keys. That way MWO is configured to key presses and everything should work gravy.

#36 Valder

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostJimmons, on 29 June 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

I recommend binding all of the Nostromo buttons, including the thumbstick, to keyboard keys. That way MWO is configured to key presses and everything should work gravy.


I use razer software for my new razer hex mouse, and it's more reliable than the saitek joystick software I just discovered. The only thing that's ever sketchy is the joystick's ability to be reliable with UAC and AC2 macros. In your case, if you bind your thumb pad to keyboard keys you miss out on half the benefit of giving up a keyboard which is analog throttle and turning. You're essentially just substituting one keyboard for a slightly more ergonomic one at that point.

#37 Victor Morson

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

The problem with joystick play is it lacks smooth arm movement, and thus will always be inferior. Even if you can in fact do reasonably well. If everything was torso locked, they'd be fine.

Now that controllers are incorporating touch screens onto their surfaces, however, I would love to see that in a sim stick. Give me arm movement on a reasonable DPI touchpad and I will totally buy your joystick.

(I suppose "How to be just as good with a joystick" could also be answered "Drive a mech with no arm mounted guns." They'd have no disadvantage then, and maybe even an advantage.

Edited by Victor Morson, 30 June 2013 - 02:59 AM.


#38 wickwire

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

I have the same joystick <_< Thank you, gonna try this!

#39 Valder

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 30 June 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

The problem with joystick play is it lacks smooth arm movement, and thus will always be inferior. Even if you can in fact do reasonably well. If everything was torso locked, they'd be fine.

Now that controllers are incorporating touch screens onto their surfaces, however, I would love to see that in a sim stick. Give me arm movement on a reasonable DPI touchpad and I will totally buy your joystick.

(I suppose "How to be just as good with a joystick" could also be answered "Drive a mech with no arm mounted guns." They'd have no disadvantage then, and maybe even an advantage.

Hm, it looks like you just dropped into the thread and gave your feedback without watching the video or looking at the keybindings I used. The joystick has nothing to do with arm movement at all. It controls the legs. The mouse in my right hand controls the arms and torso.

#40 Victor Morson

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostValder, on 30 June 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Hm, it looks like you just dropped into the thread and gave your feedback without watching the video or looking at the keybindings I used. The joystick has nothing to do with arm movement at all. It controls the legs. The mouse in my right hand controls the arms and torso.


That's what I get for having the sound off when I checked out the video. Owned.

Yeah, that's not too awful, honestly. I ran MW4 like that, to be entirely honest, but I never found the left/right combo at the same time very easy to use; what I'd do there is almost entirely play with a mouse & keyboard at sniping ranges, but use the joystick for brawling, specifically because I liked having greater control over my turn rates without "tapping." But yeah. With the right desk, I suppose that could be just fine.

Apologies, good sir.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users