Staggered Fire For Missiles

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Missile Options (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Toggleable option of Stagger Fire or Burst Fire for Missiles

1. Agree with the idea (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Dislike the idea (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. No opinion on it (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Unbound Inferno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Posted Image

Its a thought that had been hovering for a while, and this background keeps making me actually want it.

I like a toggle option for Staggered Fire or Burst Fire for Missiles. Not like the current Chain Fire, but a real stagger of one missile rapidly firing after another.

It wouldn't be that hard I would think, and it has its advantages and drawbacks.

Since the reload is done after the complete launch duration have it reduce the reload times of LRMs to 2.85, and SRMs to 3.4.

The advantage is both shock and impact effects. It can also help some tactics by acting as a better suppression fire, forcing people to keep under cover longer allowing teammates to adjust positions easier.
The drawback is it can't penetrate AMS very well, and a good AMS screen can make it a bad move, or allow you to overcome it and get your own position from under such fire.

At least, that's my thought on it and I woudl like to see it in the game.

Edited by Unbound Inferno, 11 June 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#2 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

i wouldnt change the system that they have now much but
i would suggest
that the delay of firing salvos is increased alot
if you got like 5 holes for rockets and put in an lrm 20
it should have a slower firing pace then now
to promote the real missile chassis like ctplt c4 and stalker 3h
more

#3 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

You'd get shredded by AMS. Even 2x LRM20's firing on staggered fire would get shredded by a single AMS. An LRM5 is currently totally negated by AMS and that's a big bunch of missiles.

It'd work if there was no AMS in the area but otherwise it's basically just wasting your missiles. I don't necessarily oppose it's implementation though, I just don't see it being used much.

Edited by Pater Mors, 15 June 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Another advantage of staggered fire (also known as "ripple fire") would be that it prevents crazy situations like the pre-nerf Splatcat from ever happening again because of the nature of spread out damage (just like lasers). This would also give us a good excuse to make SRMs pinpoint accurate at 270 meters instead of our current buckshot.

#5 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

It would also make it impossible to land a full srm payload on an opponent, would require significantly better leading skills, and gives the other guy a chance to get behind cover or spread the damage. I don't think SRMs need to be worse than they are already; the only thing ripple fire has going for it is the fact that it looks really cool. If you've played MW2 you know what I mean- an SRM6 volley looks amazing as it streaks towards your opponent, but even against the shoddy AI of 1995 it was impossible to land a full salvo, and they weren't even trying to dodge your shots. Ripple fire for SRMs would turn them into a complete joke, and ruin the one thing they have going for them right now, the fact that you can fire and move on without having to hold your aim on target. The only way I would support this suggestion is if SRMs did 10 damage/missile or greater.

#6 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

I think everyone is missing that the OP wants a TOGGLE for staggered fire, not to make it the only way that missiles are fired.

#7 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

What would be the point of it being a toggle. The word you are looking for, OP, is RIPPLE fired.

Ripple firing missiles is a balance measure in Mech titles, such as MW:LL, where LRM's/SRM's/SSRMS/ATM's fire one missile at a time (very quickly), but it allows for more LRM's to be destroyed by AMS/LAMS. In the case of SRM's, it prevents damage from being fired all at once (front-loaded) so it requires the user to AIM their SRM's (skill-based balance measure).

#8 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

If you want ripple fire, my inclination is to say that you should stack small launchers and chain fire them. Volley fire is a balance mechanism that helps missiles weapons (especially standard SRMs) to remain relevant. SRMs have only recently gotten to a good place as far as usability goes, and I'd hate to see something come along and destroy that delicate state of affairs (damage is still anemic, but at least you can use them consistently now).

#9 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Whats wrong with ripple firing for more aiming and alpha fix while upping the damage to 2.0?

#10 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Based on the number of tubes, there already is ripple fire.

I have watched LRM boats perform in such a way, where the first volley hits, and then due to cover, the second volley right behind it (from ripple fire due to the number of tubes) misses or hit the side of a hill.

Mechs designed with the number of tubes to handle one full volley were designed to do this.

I do not see an issue here.

When you take a strategic game out of the pen and paper genre into a computer game, strategy, for the most part, turns into a FPS; there is no time for strategy as everyone has an itchy finger, get's caught up in the battle and ignores the missile warnings.

One time, I told the team (pugs) to just peek out to let them get locks, and then back into cover, due to some huge LRM boats on the enemy team, and about, patience, 5 minutes into the game, we didn't get the warning signal anymore.

Lo and behold, no more LRM issue. We won, and blatantly.

#11 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I'd rather the LRMs always come out one at a time (albeit in very quick succession). Mainly because I think it would look cooler. Mechwarrior 2 gave us a stream of missiles, then Mechwarrior 3 and 4 made it all ugly by having a cloud of missiles.

#12 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostZyllos, on 17 June 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Whats wrong with ripple firing for more aiming and alpha fix while upping the damage to 2.0?

There would be nothing wrong with that. It would be the perfect balancing measure, plus it has a better (realistic) aesthetic look that has a balancing measure built in. The 2 birds with 1 stone approach.

Edited by General Taskeen, 17 June 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#13 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

basically what I think Op is asking for is to be able to select how many missile tubes he wants to use so it can spread out the firing sequence for a single salvo???. ie lrm20 firing 2 salvos of 10, 4 salvos of 5, etc.

#14 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have no idea, but the artwork and what not simply shows missiles that Ripple Fire, which is something that was done in MW2 (I don't know about MW1), and also MW:LL as a balancing measure, but also for variety. MWO is basically using the "blob" missiles from MW3.

Quite simply LRM/SRM/SSRM should be changed to ripple fire. In particular, it would balance SRM's perfectly (while also increasing their damage). Then its just a matter of adjusting AMS as necessary.

Also, the number of "tubes" is being changed so whatever you slot on your missile hardpoint, the appropriate 3D model will be applied with the correct number of tubes. However, that is low priority, as they add the modulation slowly in each patch.

#15 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostUnbound Inferno, on 11 June 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

Its a thought that had been hovering for a while, and this background keeps making me actually want it.

I like a toggle option for Staggered Fire or Burst Fire for Missiles. Not like the current Chain Fire, but a real stagger of one missile rapidly firing after another.

It wouldn't be that hard I would think, and it has its advantages and drawbacks.

Since the reload is done after the complete launch duration have it reduce the reload times of LRMs to 2.85, and SRMs to 3.4.

The advantage is both shock and impact effects. It can also help some tactics by acting as a better suppression fire, forcing people to keep under cover longer allowing teammates to adjust positions easier.
The drawback is it can't penetrate AMS very well, and a good AMS screen can make it a bad move, or allow you to overcome it and get your own position from under such fire.

At least, that's my thought on it and I woudl like to see it in the game.

Not a bad idea. Ripple fire could simply do away with the LRM reload times when enabled and have the launchers spew missiles out one by one as long as you have the button held down. As the OP said, a type of chain fire for missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users