Amd Unleashes First-Ever (5 Ghz) Processor

78 replies to this topic

#21 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

To the untrained, this may seem like a desperate move from AMD, but the truth is the FX series line was designed to operate at very high speeds from its inception. I guess the process wasn't mature enough till now and/or had yield problems.

The 220w is just a number, 99% of the time your comp is on it will idle at a wattage just like your current one.

#22 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

It does make sense that an 8 core processor uses twice the power of a 4 core.

Still.

Let's see the numbers.

#23 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

I already have an fx8320 which does everything I need it to so I don't see myself upgrading to this processor. Although it'd be kind of neat if it could overclock to 6 GHz or something.

#24 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

cool...so even more cpu power not being used...its like my dad who upgrades every couple years but only uses spreadsheets and bejeweled...

#25 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

yea those who are running FX8350 don't need this new CPU

but it good for big upgraders who have a dual core or low end quad cores CPU

#26 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 12 June 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

imho the 3570K is right now still the best bang for the buck and runs a cool 32 degrees with an active cooling solution without OC, with OC Im only hitting 49 degrees.

the FX6300 is probably better bang/buck, mainly because it's really cheap.

#27 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

It does make sense that an 8 core processor uses twice the power of a 4 core.

As I understand it it's only 4 real "cores".   Piledriver cores aren't exactly "hyperthreading", but as each interger core shares reasources and as a result causes a performance hit, it's close enough for rock & roll to just say "hyperthreaded quad core"

The fact that they need to market "5Ghz" to keep up with a STOCK 4670 i7 is distressing.  the knowledge that that 5Ghz is going to be a "turbo" frequency on single threaded apps for short durations under specific thermal conditions is condemning.

But the absolutely D4MN1NG story here is the reversal of the "it's about low latency, not High Ghz" philosophy present back in the skt 939 days when AMD was beating the tar out of intel's P4.

Edited by Sen, 13 June 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#28 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

4.7GHz (5GHz) is not new to the commercial market.

I have been running my CPU at 4.4 (GHz) over two years now. Many more have been running higher consistently for longer.

Records for 5GHz+ and higher. http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php
Yes some of these are just speed records, though there are those that run at much higher speeds via water/chilled and other more extreme cooling methods.

Also speeds were hit as early as 06
http://hwbot.org/ben...k/cpu_frequency

Many of the chips were/are commercially available. Unlike ES chips, ;-)

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 13 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#29 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

hit and maintainable are two entirely different things. My car can hit 9krpm for a few seconds before it blows up too. Reminds me of the people who build computers just to get a higher 3d mark score and their screen images look like ***** because of it. Functional power and attainable power are two very different things. We shall see.

#30 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostViper69, on 13 June 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

hit and maintainable are two entirely different things. My car can hit 9krpm for a few seconds before it blows up too. Reminds me of the people who build computers just to get a higher 3d mark score and their screen images look like ***** because of it. Functional power and attainable power are two very different things. We shall see.

A better comparison is comparing a Turbo charged high revving 4 banger to big block v8. The 4 banger has to rev to 9000 RPM to put out the same amount of power as the V8 does at 3000 RPM.

#31 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostDr B00t, on 12 June 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

cool...so even more cpu power not being used...its like my dad who upgrades every couple years but only uses spreadsheets and bejeweled...

I think you would be very surprised by how much processing power a large spreadsheet can consume.

#32 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm sticking with my 955BE until at least steamroller based FX cpu's come along.

View PostBadconduct, on 13 June 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

I think you would be very surprised by how much processing power a large spreadsheet can consume.

Agreed, I've seen the CPU usage on huge databases, its astroniomical and limited only by the I/O rate of the disk subsystem.

Edited by Alekzander Smirnoff, 13 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#33 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostViper69, on 13 June 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

Quite understandable. My point is that true 5GHz is attainable with commercially available chips and maintainable 24/7.

#34 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

View Post8100d 5p4tt3r, on 13 June 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Quite understandable. My point is that true 5GHz is attainable with commercially available chips and maintainable 24/7.

Ah very cool. Is that with a water cooling solution or fans and a heatsink? That is cool BTW either way.

#35 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

That's more than my old PIV 3.4ghz. That was only 120W!

Honestly, it's getting kind of nuts for high end power requirements.

Your entertainment should not draw the same power as an 12000BTU air conditioner. (1200W+).

This is why I only upgrade to mid range. Why bother with hundreds of dollars for 10% gains?

Let's see the benches. Cant' wait for Toms Hardware to get a hold of it.

Edited by Skunk Wolf, 14 June 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#36 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

even the highest end stuff manages very low power consumption when idle these days.

#37 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

http://vr-zone.com/a...imit/37629.html

http://news.softpedi...rs-360900.shtml

http://techreport.co...ng-for-5ghz-cpu

seems like we might not be able to buy the CPU from our local dealers as a tray or boxed CPU

and the TDP and speeds are indeed true

why bother telling the whole world they got the fastest CPU in terms of clock speed but end users cant buy it?

and to sell to system builder means we be charged a huge bomb just to buy a crappy system at high prices

#38 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostDragoon20005, on 16 June 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

why bother telling the whole world they got the fastest CPU in terms of clock speed but end users cant buy it? and to sell to system builder means we be charged a huge bomb just to buy a crappy system at high prices

These are highly binned fx8350s IMO so they probably won't have very many of them. Thus they can make the most profit by selling them at high prices to OEMs whose customers are clueless and will buy based on the high clocks alone. In addition it keeps AMD's name in the press which is always good.

#39 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 16 June 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

These are highly binned fx8350s IMO so they probably won't have very many of them. Thus they can make the most profit by selling them at high prices to OEMs whose customers are clueless and will buy based on the high clocks alone. In addition it keeps AMD's name in the press which is always good.

This seems entirely too likely now, There hitting the untapped and unable to overclock market with this overpriced factory clocked 8350, im betting it isn't a impressively low Cvolt like I would want my OC though.

#40 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113347

latest newegg does have it for sale really 900 bucks for it

and needs a mobo combo

thats really expensive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users