#1 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

http://www.rockpaper...s-planetside-2/

I can't help but think that if RPS did a Twenty Bucks: MWO, they'd get absolutely nothing. A colour and a big mech, maybe? The prices in MWO are quite exorbitant. Colors are very expensive, but they're global, so I could let that slip- OK, the 1000MC ones are bad. Mechbays are perfectly priced, seeing as they're pretty much mandatory, and I feel the same about premium time. Mechs, however, are prohibitively expensive. Buying something like an Ilya or a Pretty Baby? You could get Far Cry 3 from Amazon for less:

http://www.amazon.co...hildsplaycha-20

I'm sure they've run their numbers, and are confident with their pricing model, but from my point of view, paying that much is insane.

#2 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostDr Killinger, on 13 June 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

Mechs, however, are prohibitively expensive. Buying something like an Ilya or a Pretty Baby? You could get Far Cry 3 from Amazon for less: http://www.amazon.co...hildsplaycha-20 I'm sure they've run their numbers, and are confident with their pricing model, but from my point of view, paying that much is insane.

Totally agree, Mechs are insanely priced. Personal opinion is that better to lower prices and have more people buy then higher prices and get less business.

Hero mechs to me now are Buy 2 Farm, and you seriously only need 1 "farmer" mech or maybe 2 or 3 if you like. You definitely do not need a whole range of them.

So short run maybe PGI might get more money, but long term, I would say less.

#3 Crimson Fenris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

The thing is, I suspect, that they play on the "opacity" of the conversion rate MC/$ ; If you didn't do the maths to know how much each thing's real costs, you're not aware about what you spent, and what's the "hidden price" behind each item.

But when you realize the pretty cool Misery you just bought is costing you between 20$ (if you're a legendary founder with your initial MC, counting all other advantages) and 28$ (if you only bought the 6500 MC package for 29.95$), it's pretty insane to trow such amount of money, enough to afford a full game, in an item that not even come with the options you choose, for some hours of play before you XP another chassis...

Not to mention other cosmetics items you coul not even switch from mech to another without boring manipulations, or overpriced camo schemes, or wasted premium time that is not very interesting to buy for real money...

The only right-priced option is the mechbays. It's a mandatory option for whoever want to invest a minimum amount in the game, is a non-perishable item and always be useful.

#4 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

$21.95 to get the $14.95 and another $6.95 package.

That`s 4250 MC.

Personally i think you don´t need anything else than Mechbays and XP to GXP conversion.
The latter is not even necessary but it is nice to have in order to get Modules in a reasonable time.

You could buy 14 Mechbays.
I`d buy 10 Mechbays and use the remaining 1250 MC to convert XP to GXP on a Sale.

I would feel pretty comfortable with that.

MWO pricing is fine to me especially when i compare it to my other F2P experiences.
The important stuff is cheap.

#5 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Still the closest is World of Tanks - and if you look at their pricing MWO is MORE than fair, they could even make their premium gear more expensive!

Just take a look at WoT pricings:

2500 gold is 9.95€ - also the costs for 1 month of premium time

Best Example - "Löwe" premium tank - you can get it at a bargain in the giftshop for 43.95€ together with a garage slot, 7 days premium and 20 premium fireextinguishers (premium consumable, that activates automatically if catching fire - german tanks are prone to catching fire in this game, as I think they were in RL, too).

The downside is, it does not come with a special paintjob. You will have to pay for it extra - camos are also dependant on what time of year the random map plays in - if you have a custom summer camo, it will not appear on a winter map and vise versa. Costs of camos are "tier"-dependant, that means, the higher the tier of the tank, the higher the costs for custom camos. There are 10 tiers - a tier II camo is about 50 gold, a tier X xamo is 250 gold - mind you there are 3 "time of year types" - summer, winter, desert.

You can customize your camo further with emblems (30gold for tier II and 150gold for tier X) and inscriptions (30 gold for tier II and 150gold for tier X) - it is one emblem /inscription per side of tank, so you would need to double the costs, if you want it all around.

So If I wanted to customize the camo of my "Maus" tier X tank at the same level, as I could customize my Atlas, I would have to spend 750 gold for the 3 season camos, 300 for emblems and 300 for inscriptions - thats 1350 gold, around 6€, and only for this one tank...

Now looking at PS2 you get 1000 SC for 9€

A camo is about 500SC - so 4,50€

Problem is again, atm you need at least 2 camos, one greenish for Indar/Amerish, and 1 white for Esamir. Also you should get camo for your vehicles, too, that is again another 2. You have the option to get weapon camo, too - Here it actually depends what faction you play - in my opinion the TR need weapon camo the least, while Vanu have quite big purple things in their hands, that need to be painted over! Those camos are another 500 SC. If you want to go over the top, you will want to get desert camo, too.

Altogether (3 types of camo + 3 things to paint over, vehicle, uniform and weapon) this is 3*3*500=4500 SC which is 9*4,50€=40,50€

1€ = 1,33$ atm btw -
that means camo set for my Maus Panzer = 8$ (mind you, just for this one tank...)
camo set for ALL my PS2 vehicles and infantry types = 53,8$

PS: I played WoT for quite a while, but gave it up in favour of MWO - PS2 is atm my most played game and also the game where my "spare" money went recently - if MWO had community warfare yet, I would probably play much less PS2 and dumb the money into MWO.

Edited by Schrottfrosch, 13 June 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#6 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Prices are totally insane. probably costs twice what WoW does annually to get the max benefit from the game.

But then, paint/camo is fluff, and everything is free. My only real gripe is the hero mech prices which are way over the top.

#7 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

In "Hawken" the direct competitor for MWO a mech costs 5$ no matter if you want a light, medium or heavy. The prices in MWO are brazenness... But the ingame currency is good enough to buy everything you need. Colors should be free, paying so much for it is insane

Edited by Galen Crayn, 18 June 2013 - 05:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users