15 replies to this topic

#1 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

If you look at the images posted here on mwo, both the 4G and 4H look exactly alike. Not only that, but the stats are the same also. So, I looked on Sarna and found this:

QKD-4H - In an attempt to bring more direct firepower to the 'Mech, the 4H moves the SRM-4 launcher into the rear arc and moves the two rear-facing Medium Lasers into forward firing mounts. Otherwise, the 4H is identical to the 4G model.

MWO doesn't have rear facing weapons, so what exactly is the difference here?

Edited by Ocilfa, 14 June 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#2 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

One will have more hardpoint options, that's all.

Best Guess:

QKD-4G (Basic Hardpoints) + Possibilities: ECM or More JJ mounting or More Module Slots
QKD-4H (4 EH, 2MH CT or 2MH LT) (so either 3 to 4 MH)

Look at the Jenner-D and Jenner-K record sheets for example. Same exact weapons, but Jenner-D can mount 2 Missile systems in CT.

#3 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Oh no not another Jenner D/K "variation". Making mech variants differ by simply giving one less hardpoints instead of different ones it just meaningless. You never see any Jenner K except someone trying to level that POS up so you can master the other variants and then never use/sell it.

Edited by armyof1, 14 June 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#4 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm not saying I agree with PGI's implementation of "must have 3 variants" to level. Often, some variants are too similar or exact, with more hardpoints shoehorned in. I'm just guessing based on what they do, not what I like.

Edited by General Taskeen, 14 June 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#5 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

While I'm not a big fan of the 3 variant must to get Elite either, that's not what I was reacting against. It's the thought they'd repeat the horrible Jenner K situation with a without a doubt most gimped variant any way you look at it, also for Quickdraws. I haven't seen that same amount of fail with recent mechs so I have hope it won't happen.

Edited by armyof1, 14 June 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#6 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

My bet is it will just be a 'speed' variant. Larger engine capability but no jump jets.

#7 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm betting one will be 4energy/3missile and the other wil be 5energy/2missile.

#8 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 14 June 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Somthing like this will probably be the case and sometimes changing the location of just one hardpoint can make all the difference on how well a mech performs or even the total loadout.

#9 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Ten bucks says more module slots and ECM.

#10 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

They all should have jump jets. Those 3 variants do have jump jets in the board game.

That makes the Quickdraw unique for the heavy classes because it is normal to have jump jets. There are oddball variants of the Raven, Trebuchet, Catapult, and Cataphract that added jump jets, but none of those designs had jets by default. Now we get a heavy that is meant to jump all the time, and all of the variants will have them.

Except the Jump Jets in a 55 ton mech are still only .5 tons, but JJ's go to a full 1 ton for a 60 ton mech. So, if you are a theory crafter min-max type of guy, your running inefficient jump jets and probably will want to rip them out.

So what does that mean for the two seemingly identical 4H and 4G? Well, they're going to have some kind of hardpoint variation between them. That means your custom builds can be more diverse after you start tinkering in the mechlab with them.

For what it is worth the interest my friends have is more for the 5A build, which they're planning on making into a Warhammer-Junior. ER-PPC's in the arms, a medium laser in the side torsos, SRM-4 in the CT, no jump jets, and as many heat sinks as you can carry.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 June 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Ten bucks says more module slots and ECM.

I will await my new ECM master.

#12 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 15 June 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

They all should have jump jets. Those 3 variants do have jump jets in the board game.

That makes the Quickdraw unique for the heavy classes because it is normal to have jump jets. There are oddball variants of the Raven, Trebuchet, Catapult, and Cataphract that added jump jets, but none of those designs had jets by default. Now we get a heavy that is meant to jump all the time, and all of the variants will have them.

Except the Jump Jets in a 55 ton mech are still only .5 tons, but JJ's go to a full 1 ton for a 60 ton mech. So, if you are a theory crafter min-max type of guy, your running inefficient jump jets and probably will want to rip them out.

So what does that mean for the two seemingly identical 4H and 4G? Well, they're going to have some kind of hardpoint variation between them. That means your custom builds can be more diverse after you start tinkering in the mechlab with them.

For what it is worth the interest my friends have is more for the 5A build, which they're planning on making into a Warhammer-Junior. ER-PPC's in the arms, a medium laser in the side torsos, SRM-4 in the CT, no jump jets, and as many heat sinks as you can carry.

The Catapult was actually designed around jump jets. The K2 (and some of the other K* models as well) were the odd balls that did not have jump jets. Note the CPLT-C1 was the base model all other variants stemmed from which came stock with jump jets.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Catapult

Edited by mariomanz28, 15 June 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#13 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 14 June 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

I was thinking one 4 Missle 4 Energy, one 3 Missile 6 Energy and one 1 Missile 8 Energy.

It is an energy boat after all, with a couple srms, streaks and lrms

#14 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostAmsro, on 16 June 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

I was thinking one 4 Missle 4 Energy, one 3 Missile 6 Energy and one 1 Missile 8 Energy.

It is an energy boat after all, with a couple srms, streaks and lrms

I really doubt they'll get more than 7 hardpoints each, since people are already commenting about it obsoleting the Dragon.
Sure the Dragon gets a ballistic, but the Dragon also has bad CT hitboxes and ballistics are a bit heavy if you want to push your Dragon speed.

#15 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 16 June 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I really doubt they'll get more than 7 hardpoints each, since people are already commenting about it obsoleting the Dragon.
Sure the Dragon gets a ballistic, but the Dragon also has bad CT hitboxes and ballistics are a bit heavy if you want to push your Dragon speed.

time for a Grand Dragon? Posted Image

#16 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Damn Grand Dragon is one seriously ugly piece of work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users