So About The 3Rd Person "modes"

42 replies to this topic

#1 GingerBang

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Airport Hilton

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

The very first question didn't actually answer anything... unless you meant to say you are no longer splitting up the queues at all, and simply asking those who want to play 1st person only to kindly leave the room/community.

so i'm confused. clarity maybe?

#2 Shephard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Said it before and will say it again: Adding a third person camera is a MISTAKE (one which they promised us before closed beta they had no plans of making). I don't know that they are thinking here.

#3 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I for one am looking forward to trying out 3pv on the test server.
If 3pv turns out to be not OP and is useful in certain play style; ie 3pv for brawling 1pv for long range.
I don't mind playing in a mixed view match.

#4 Barberian

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Third person will break the game. It will be against the roll playing part of it. You will be able to look over ridges, hills, obstacles, and around corners.

Horrible, horrible idea for this game.

#5 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 June 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

3PV

Viper69 : If we are going to be able to choose to play against people using 3PV or not to, how are you going to address the then fractured and smaller groups that then have to wait in queue for a match that meets their perimeters?
A: There will be two modes Normal and Hardcore (FPV) only. We anticipate most players will play the first mode leaving the hardcore mode for the those wanting a challenge. 3PV will be going onto test servers in the next 60 days and we’ll see how it goes from there.

Ghost Badger: How does PGI plan to reconcile Community Warfare matches with 3PV and 1PV? How will they reconcile matches between teams with different preferences? Or do they plan to split the CW mechanic by viewpoint?
A: The plan is to have scheduled matches will be FPV only, since these will be performed between Merc. Units. Regular matches will follow the above rules (Normal/Hardcore).

thanks for confirming that the majority of MWO players is not here for a challenge. Thanks for confirming that PGI´s intentions behind design of MWO have stepped away from a MechWarrior Sim... thanks for confirmation that a in-cockpit view of a battlemech is considered "Hardcore" instead of normal... you really made my day,i still have to decide if i may laugh or cry...

at least give the so-called HC mode an xp and bill bonus, so people at least CONSIDER playing the game for real

#6 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 14 June 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

[/size]
thanks for confirming that the majority of MWO players is not here for a challenge. Thanks for confirming that PGI´s intentions behind design of MWO have stepped away from a MechWarrior Sim... thanks for confirmation that a in-cockpit view of a battlemech is considered "Hardcore" instead of normal... you really made my day,i still have to decide if i may laugh or cry...

at least give the so-called HC mode an xp and bill bonus, so people at least CONSIDER playing the game for real

Warge: Are any plans to encourage future 3PV players to use 1PV? Maybe slight XP or/and CB boost, that sort of things...
A: Probably not, however we’re going to emphasize that both view modes are essential to a well-rounded experience, with FPV being something that you use if you are a true sim-head.

^this sucks

if this keeps up everyone will be playing in 3PV in the long run. new players might not even know a first person view exist.

Edited by Lokust Davion, 15 June 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#7 johnyboy420

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 197 posts
  • Locationyour momma's house

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

3PV is a defunk useless piece of crap that wrecks any game that has both 1PV and 3PV and only a mind numbing ****** asks for

#8 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

As i said in another thread, they have to do 3pv, that is what the average player expects from a vehicle based game and it have been a staple of MW games for a very long time. If you do not include it all you will be left with is a small diamond core that will inbreed and go native, scaring away new players and in the end being unable to sustain the game. I have seen it happen before and it will happen again.

Honestly, if they do it well and it does not give any direct advantage... what does it matter what view mode people use.

#9 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

It's quite funny that Hawken... a game that can only be called anything more than another generic shooter #999 with robot skins with both eyes closed and blindfolded, is first person only.

#10 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostLokust Davion, on 15 June 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

^this sucks

if this keeps up everyone will be playing in 3PV in the long run. new players might not even know a first person view exist.

They will if they participate in CW and are apart of a Mercenary Corporation. Or, are apart of private matches. BTW @ OP if what you took from the recent ATD session is "1st person people kick rocks" you're ignorant of the largest player base in MWO: Mercenary players. Why do you think that specific group was targeted for micro transactions?

Edited by Pando, 15 June 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#11 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostAdridos, on 15 June 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

It's quite funny that Hawken... a game that can only be called anything more than another generic shooter #999 with robot skins with both eyes closed and blindfolded, is first person only.

Actually it is not, you said it your self. It acts more like a regular FPS then a vehicle based shooter. Also i am sure the running costs for Hawken is a lot smaller then for MWO.

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 15 June 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Actually it is not, you said it your self. It acts more like a regular FPS then a vehicle based shooter. Also i am sure the running costs for Hawken is a lot smaller then for MWO.

It is still considered "hard-core" from Bryan's perspective.

I mean, I like the game and even PGI (because of the announcement -> pre-open beta period, when they really ranked as the best F2P developers you could hope for to continue a franchise's legacy), but sometimes, they really say or do really dumb stuff.

There is a general rule that if you are competing with the best, the only way you can succeed is through finding your specific niche and mopping the floor even with the best in the industry by it's standards being way above what they are putting out.

#13 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

they will just discontinue 1pvOnly support as soon as they can, thats yours answer
rat move in my opinion

#14 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

Adridos... So you rather risk having the game crawling around the 20-50k player mark just so it can maintain some abstract notion of "purity" that go wildly against everything the current market is saying. Yes i know they said from the start that it would be 1PV only... But that was because the only ones really talking about the game was that little diamond core, so it seemed like that was what EVERYBODY wanted. It turns out that in fact the diamond core was in the minority,

1PV only is very nice and i fully agree that no system should go in just for the heck of it. But that knife cut both ways, no system should be kept out just for the heck of it either. If putting in 3PV increase the chance of there being a game to play in 5 years time. I am all for it. I have had to "bury" enough MMO´s by now that i rather see devs err on the side of caution.

As for the hardcore note... Yesh... Most active people on this forum would fall in to that category... We are passionate and care about the game and the lore... But sometimes i think people get a bit to wrapped up in "the vision" contra "the reality" and i am personally glad that the devs have not ended up there yet.

Edited by AlexEss, 15 June 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#15 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostLokust Davion, on 15 June 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

^this sucks

absolutely, that´s what i meant

#16 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

i will not play in noob view and if i am forced to play against 3rd person players ill find a different game to play.

#17 Oriius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

As had been said before if it is more for new players, to let them get used to the whole torso/leg position stuff, I don't see it working well. At least not without giving the player a very wide open view of their mech, which is something they don't actually seem to want to give. (a good tutorial in game and training modes would also fix this very quickly)

So is it to make the game appeal to a wider audience? I'm not sure how wide you can make Mechwarrior or battletech, as they are kind of niche to start with. I know some go with the mindset of "X has Y feature and X is popular therefore if we add Y to our product we too shall be popular", however I am not so sure that it will work in this case.

I am no expert however and all I can give is opinion (so worth very little I'd wager) but where I sit I'd rather have a good game with a solid design focus and vision with a small but dedicated audience, than one always trying to broaden the product to become evermore wider reaching with less focus and likely less dedicated players.

But I guess the money talks, or the idea of potential money does at least.

Edited by Oriius, 15 June 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#18 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

It only takes 100 or so matches to get the hang of this game, and about 1000 to become pretty skilled. I don't see how 1st person view can be considered "Hardcore" mode.

Seems we all get to pilot a mech from FPV of Magneto.

I'll probably still pilot from inside the mech. I don't view 3rd person in any game when possible.

#19 GingerBang

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Airport Hilton

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

3rd person view is for people who are AWFUL at situation awareness and control. Asking anyone who wants to play a skill based came to kindly "exit the room and play hardcore" is a real kick to the teeth. I'm so glad i haven't dropped a dime on this game.

View PostHellcat420, on 15 June 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

i will not play in noob view and if i am forced to play against 3rd person players ill find a different game to play.

This, it's like if valve said "HEY ALL YOU TRY-HARDS WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR K/D AND USING THE AWP. NOW YOU CAN USE THE AWP WITHOUT EVER GOING INTO THE SIGHT, COOL HUH?!"

#20 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'm really hoping that CW will be forced FPV, or at the least, somewhat forced.

Tbh I would prefer 3PV to not exist at all, but thems the breaks.

Basically all planet attacks/defences are set to FPV. Unless of course, a planet is held by a 3PV group, and attacked by a 3PV group. In that situation, obv it could stay 3PV.

EG
------------------------------------------
Planet Holder = 3PV

Attacker = FPV
Battle = FPV
----------------------------------------
Planet Holder = FPV

Attacker = 3PV
Battle = FPV
----------------------------------------
Planet Holder = 3PV

Attacker = 3PV
Battle = 3PV

The front battles between the houses, (as have been described by the devs so far) , would just be using the 2 seperate queues keeping the player groups seperate in battles, but effecting the same fronts. (FPV Queue, 3PV Queue)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users