If You Are Looking Forward To The Madcat, You're Gonna Have A Bad Time...

53 replies to this topic

#21 Sindor Nex

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 17 June 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Wow you gotta be one of the worst assault pilots I've ever seen if you think stalker suffers from CT issues. It's got a popsicle stick for a CT. So long as you don't bring an XL engine you are basically guaranteed to lose a side torso before CT even without torso twisting. If you torso twist you'll probably lose both side torsos before the CT. You better get that atlas and highlander to see what a CT vulnerability REALLY is. Or if you are feeling masochistic get a Dragon.

see i disagree with this... all i drive is stalkers. i run xls in all of them... due to the hitboxes being off it doesnt matter and with about %95 of the ppl who play they aim for the ct. so i would have to say for my experience your ct goes faster then a torso. having the xl outweighs not having it. well for me anyways.

#22 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 June 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

That must be how my 6ppc stalker is getting killed then. It is the only of the 3 stalkers I have running an XL. I guess when I die in it I just assume it's the CT going due to my experience in the cats. I'll pay more attention next time I run it. Obviously as a ppc boat I stay at long range which is how I justify running the XL.

More than likely you're being destroyed from losing a side torso in a XL Stalker.

As you can see in this thread [Guide] Hit Box Localisation (scroll down to the assault section) the Stalker is pretty much all side torso. Its CT is actually more narrow than the CT on an Atlas. It's closer to that of a Centurion or a Jagermech.

#23 Sindor Nex

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

seriously how is it so many ppl go down in a stalker bc there side got blown out...... i rarely go down......

#24 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostSindor Nex, on 17 June 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

seriously how is it so many ppl go down in a stalker bc there side got blown out...... i rarely go down......

Your dedication to such a gimped unfortunate mech is admirable.

Also sorry to OP I was a little harsh. You are correct in that catapult is one big CT. I generally look on stalkers as the MWO second coming of the antichrist.

#25 Sindor Nex

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 17 June 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Your dedication to such a gimped unfortunate mech is admirable.

actually i do very well in my stalkers. and i dont boat ppc's. i average 450 - 500 dmg a match in my stalkers. now that is a rough average bc im clumping them all in one lol. but i often go over 5oo dmg as well.

#26 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostSindor Nex, on 17 June 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

actually i do very well in my stalkers. and i dont boat ppc's. i average 450 - 500 dmg a match in my stalkers. now that is a rough average bc im clumping them all in one lol. but i often go over 5oo dmg as well.

Amazing! If you are up for a real challenge you should move on to a brawling jagermech. (aside:xl ac20 jagermechs at least take some situational awareness to do well in.)

#27 Sindor Nex

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 17 June 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

Amazing! If you are up for a real challenge you should move on to a brawling jagermech. (aside:xl ac20 jagermechs at least take some situational awareness to do well in.)

to be technical it takes situational awareness to do well in all mechs. but yes i know its hard to run a xl in the jager. i was thinking of taking those on next.

#28 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I would try the jagers if they were reverse jointed. I have 3 cats and 3 stalkers. Next I am going to work on ravens and then after that I'm not sure. I suppose I could go with a medium but I really wanted to try out the cataphracts or maybe even a dragon despite them having normal jointed legs. I'd have to say all of my most favorite mechs are reverse jointed, raven, locust, catapult, madcat, vulture, daishi, masakari etc..

#29 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostOmniJackal, on 17 June 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I would try the jagers if they were reverse jointed. I have 3 cats and 3 stalkers. Next I am going to work on ravens and then after that I'm not sure. I suppose I could go with a medium but I really wanted to try out the cataphracts or maybe even a dragon despite them having normal jointed legs. I'd have to say all of my most favorite mechs are reverse jointed, raven, locust, catapult, madcat, vulture, daishi, masakari etc..

If you want a big change of pace try a Cicada. Them and Jenners are probably the only 'Mechs to have a bigger CT than the Catapult, no joke.

#30 OmniJackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 17 June 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

If you want a big change of pace try a Cicada. Them and Jenners are probably the only 'Mechs to have a bigger CT than the Catapult, no joke.

That's not a bad idea. It's reverse jointed and is a medium. Aren't they extremely squishy and hard to use though? I think I remember seeing a laser varient I could probably enjoy. Thanks man.

#31 Rattazustra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

The thing that speaks against the Timberwolf the most is the layout. Low hanging arms are bad. They are the biggest flaw of the Cataphract. The combination of a tall mech with a huge torso, yet arms that hang down results in bad usability of cover.

But that might be exactly the balancing that the Madcat needs. :(

#32 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

Everyone here seems to be forgetting the giant missile racks on top of the mech. At least according to canon/tt, those are side torsi. Anyone running an XL in a Timberwolf is soooooooo dead. And yes, the posters above me who noted the low-hanging arm weapon mounts are 100% correct about that being terrible for this game.

View PostKeifomofutu, on 17 June 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Wow you gotta be one of the worst assault pilots I've ever seen if you think stalker suffers from CT issues. It's got a popsicle stick for a CT. So long as you don't bring an XL engine you are basically guaranteed to lose a side torso before CT even without torso twisting. If you torso twist you'll probably lose both side torsos before the CT. You better get that atlas and highlander to see what a CT vulnerability REALLY is. Or if you are feeling masochistic get a Dragon.

View PostVolthorne, on 17 June 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

I'm not sure how you guys can even talk about mechs with gigantic CT vulnerability problems without mentioning the awesome. There is never a day that goes by without a thread about how bad the awesome's hitboxes are being on the front page of Mechs and Loadout, Gameplay Balance, or both.

#33 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostxDeityx, on 17 June 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

If I'm remembering correctly I thought Clan XL engines did extend to the side torsos, but they were just 1 critical shy of what you would need to destroy the 'mech. So you still had engine components in the side torsos but could survive getting a side torso destroyed.

Correct. They can survive with One Side torso destroyed, as they only have 2 crit slots in each side torso. An Engine is destroyed as soon as 3 crit slots have been destroyed (hence why the IS XL is destroyed with only one side torso gone). If both side torsos of a clan LX are destroyed, then the mech is dead, so Zombie Clan XL mechs are impossible.

#34 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostDiomed, on 17 June 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Clan XL engines do not extend into the side torsos like IS ones do.

As Rushin Roulette, and others, stated above a Mech with a Can XL Engine has 10 Crit Slots total. 6 in the Center Torso and 2 in each of the Side Torsos (LT & RT). An Inner Sphere XL Engine has 12 Engine Crits. 6 in the Center Torso and 3 in each Side Torso (RT & LT).

In TT any Mech, IS and Clan, that takes 3 Engine Crits shuts down. It can be salvaged later and repaired as long as the Center Torso in not destroyed.

In MWO any IS Mech that looses it side Torso shuts down. Is this coded as a Mech took 3 Engine Crits so it shuts down? Or is it coded as an IS Mech with an XL Engine lost its side Torso so shut it down?

When they bring Clan XL engines into MWO how will they handle the Engine Crits? If I remember correctly the Devs said we will be able to Crit the Engine. They may even implement increased heat from Engine Crits. An Engine Crit is suppose to be the loss of Engine Shielding.

Edited by Skylarr, 18 June 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#35 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Edit:Nevermind it seems everyone and his brother has corrected the statement.

Edited by Viper69, 18 June 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#36 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Spoiler

(all caps makes it true.)

Edited by miSs, 18 June 2013 - 07:25 AM.
added spoiler

#37 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Everything is subject to change. Even the things that are already in.. they did say something about touching up the Awesome's size?

'Nuff said.

And see post above.

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 18 June 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#38 DarkJaguar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'm more interested to know if they will count the Timber Wolf's "ears" as side torso, or something else entirely.

#39 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

It is all about the Pilot, mate. People cannot stand the Hunchie, but I pilot my Founder's 4G most of the time and get, in a good match, 300-800 points of damage (Yes, 800, I have proof). I cannot stand the Cicada (drives funny), but there are some guys who are demons in it.

It is all about the Pilot, not the mech, more often than not.

#40 Sgt Peanuts

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

And I'm immediately sold on the Clans.

As if I wasn't already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users