I Remember A Game That Was Balanced Like Mwo

17 replies to this topic

#1 tenderloving

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

PPCs and Gauss rifles reigned supreme. There was no weight restrictions; competitive matches were fought with both teams having an average mech tonnage of 80+. They sniped each other from extreme distance. The only game mode was "kill each other." Brawling was something you did for laughs against "randoms" when your friends weren't online.

The game was called MechAssault.

Edited by tenderloving, 18 June 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

View Posttenderloving, on 18 June 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

PPCs and Gauss rifles reigned supreme. There was no weight restrictions; competitive matches were fought with both teams having an average mech tonnage of 80+. They sniped each other from extreme distance. The only game mode was "kill each other." Brawling was something you did for laughs against "randoms" when your friends weren't online.

It was also called MW2/3/4.

#3 tenderloving

• Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 18 June 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

It was also called MW2/3/4.

Yeah but saying that doesn't sting as much.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Posttenderloving, on 18 June 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

...You do realize that Mechassault didn't allow customization in any way, shape, or form, right? You were stuck with stock mechs permanently. In Mechassault 2, they even had a set number and type of mechs per map (i.e. New River City had one Atlas per team, one VTOL, two Battle Armor, etc.). MA1's meta revolved around the Prometheus and Ragnarok mechs, neither of which had PPCs (although both did have dual Gauss Rifles, the main offenders were the Hammer MRM and Lava Gun weapons). Both games had alternate modes like CTF and assault (where you had to actually destroy the base instead of capture it). Please note that I'm not trying to defend MA, I'm just saying that your comparison is inaccurate.

You're thinking of Mechwarrior 4 for a much more accurate comparison.

Edited by FupDup, 18 June 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I don't get why people continue to bash on MechAssault. It wasn't trying to be something it wasn't, unlike this game. It was an arcade shooter, and they stuck to that 100%. Now this game claimed to be a mech simulator but it completely did a 180. Plus, MechAssault had WAY more content than this could ever hope to have. So many gametypes, maps and mechs. In MA2 they even tried to expand it further with battle armor, tanks and VTOLs. They even had a functional Community Warfare called Conquest (Yea, surprise, PGI didn't invent this concept). That series did more with and for the Battletech franchise than this game can ever hope to achieve.

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostNation Uprise, on 18 June 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

I don't get why people continue to bash on MechAssault. It wasn't trying to be something it wasn't, unlike this game. It was an arcade shooter, and they stuck to that 100%. Now this game claimed to be a mech simulator but it completely did a 180. Plus, MechAssault had WAY more content than this could ever hope to have. So many gametypes, maps and mechs. In MA2 they even tried to expand it further with battle armor, tanks and VTOLs. They even had a functional Community Warfare called Conquest (Yea, surprise, PGI didn't invent this concept). That series did more with and for the Battletech franchise than this game can ever hope to achieve.

Prepare to be flamed by pretty much everybody posting underneath me.

On a side note, Mechassault did also invent the River City map and also introduced me to the Mechwarrior franchise (I've gone back and played MW4 and MW3 because of it, and now MWO).

#7 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostNation Uprise, on 18 June 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

MA2 was an incredibly solid arcade shooter and it deserves NONE of the hate it gets here. That game just wanted to be fun and it did that really well.

#8 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

In all fairness, at least Mech Warrior 3 had useful NARC, LB 10-X, MG, and Flamers. That game was only unbalanced due to extreme customization on any Mech.

#9 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Get ready to get flamed to oblivion

#10 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Without an overarching metagame that takes into account logistics such as league play in previous titles this is always going to be the case.

CW needs to be based around logistics not just fighting random battles for points.

#11 tenderloving

• Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm not bashing MechAssault. I'm pointing out how shallow the gameplay in MWO is by comparing it to a game that was a launch title for a console online gaming service.

MechAssault was awesome, but it was shallow. It was 11 years ago.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

View Posttenderloving, on 18 June 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm not bashing MechAssault. I'm pointing out how shallow the gameplay in MWO is by comparing it to a game that was a launch title for a console online gaming service.

MechAssault was awesome, but it was shallow. It was 11 years ago.

To be honest, MechAssault had more variety than MWO despite the lack of any customization. Every mech could kill robots pretty well (even though some like the Prometheus, Ragnarok, and even the Mad Cat were a little too good at it).

Edited by FupDup, 18 June 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#13 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

@OP

Your title is implying there is some sort of semblance of balance in this game, and that half of the current weapons and equipment wern't 100% fubar in every way possible (LBX, Mgun, Pulse lasers, flamers, ECM/BAP relation, Command Console, NARC, Streaks...)

Here let me fix this for you.

I Remember A Game That Was Broken Like Mwo

#14 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

I actually liked MA2. It had a very interesting playstyle. It wasn't a true MW game, but I still got my stompy robot fix (or even Elemental fix)

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostFate 6, on 18 June 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

I actually liked MA2. It had a very interesting playstyle. It wasn't a true MW game, but I still got my stompy robot fix (or even Elemental fix)

Soloing Atlai with a fully powered-up Rommel Tank was one of the most satisfying things in MA2...good times.

Edited by FupDup, 18 June 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#16 tenderloving

• Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 June 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

To be honest, MechAssault had more variety than MWO despite the lack of any customization. Every mech could kill robots pretty well (even though some like the Prometheus, Ragnarok, and even the Mad Cat were a little too good at it).

The Kit Fox laughs at all three of those noob mechs.

#17 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Mechassault was a great game. It was what brought me into mechwarrior and battle tech. Yes, it strayed from canon, but it was very fun and balanced. Like one person said, it did not hide what it was, it was a proud arcade game, and a fun one at that.

Terrible analogy.

#18 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

i think the point is not if MA was bad or good (although it belongs into period that killed the universe for me... strange changes in the story, strange mechs, strange weapons...MA was a part of a whole lot of reasons why i never touched anything after 3063 for my roleplaying and battletech sessions)

the point is that PGI made a very clear statement (and many of us took it as a promise) that they would do it different. More sim, no boating, all classes being viable,no "bigger is better" armsrace and so on.

To be fair, this game is not done, there are many features to be implemented. BUT most decissions they made since january (and for some people that trend started much earlier) caused BT/MW fans to drive them off of a game that belongs into their/ our beloved universe - or at least destroyed the hope that the game would become anything close what was promised during the prefunding phase - and now is trying to attract people who still wonder why the gundams in this game can´t fly and have a nice kung-fu battle in space...

one can only hope that at least CW will become serious buisness and they don´t miss the chance to make something really awesome out of Solaris VII, then maybe i can also live with a more arcadish feel of the game on the long run... but i have my doubts

don´t get me wrong, i like to play MWO... but "like" is not love, and i "like" alot of games

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users