Does Pgi Intend To Put An Eject Animation And Engine Explosion Into The Game?

20 replies to this topic

#1 TheMightyWashburn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I know this has been discussed ad infinitum but Im not sure there has ever been a straight answer from PGI. It was shown in their original movie concept art and It looks so cool. It would also be cool if the explosion had splash damage (minor).

I KNOW THIS IS LOW PRIORITY!

Just want to know if it is planned.

#2 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think what you are referring to is the "trailer" for what was susposed to be the SP Mechwarrior that was in developement 5 years ago or so. RE: "Exploding" mechs, PGI has repededly stated that "stackpoleing" mechs are not going to make an appearance in MWO.

Look at the last several l ask the devs re: ejections. (don't think it's something they have in mind/planned)

#3 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

No, nor should there be.

I'm personally not a fan of exploding mechs, but I don't have any issue with the idea of it.
As for ejecting view... A lot of work (from a development perspective) for poor/little return. It serves no real game function and would require them to build out landscapes far beyond the borders of the map, other wise you'de see all the nothingness past the edges when you eject. So again, extra work or poor effect. It's no win.

#4 Albert Ishkabibble

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Don't know exactly why this topic prompted me to post for the first time, since it is not likely something which will ever be implemented.

But I kind of like the idea of being lauched out of my mech, drifting down in the ejector seat, then being able to run around the map. Maybe have a satchel of explosives which, if you could find a mech standing still, you could knee cap an enemy with.

Would give an excuse to mechs to carry machine guns.

In either case, it would be a cool perspective to be humans sized and surrounded by giant stompy bots.

-A.Ish

#5 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 11 June 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

No, nor should there be.

I'm personally not a fan of exploding mechs, but I don't have any issue with the idea of it.
As for ejecting view... A lot of work (from a development perspective) for poor/little return. It serves no real game function and would require them to build out landscapes far beyond the borders of the map, other wise you'de see all the nothingness past the edges when you eject. So again, extra work or poor effect. It's no win.

Same could be said about startup animations, they don't serve ANY purpose at all just like eject would, but they made it in the game.

#6 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostThejuggla, on 12 June 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

Same could be said about startup animations, they don't serve ANY purpose at all just like eject would, but they made it in the game.

True, but the dev work involved is prob pretty minor. They already render the full cockpit, having the camera swivel around (which you can do manually) doesn't really require much. Eject would require a bunch of extra work on each map. Also, what happens when you die in one of the tunnels? Again, a bunch if extra work or complexity if you want it to look good for something that a good chunk of your player would prob just esc out of.

#7 Rattazustra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

What the frell is "stackpoling" supposed to be? Use adult words, please.

#8 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Mech "explosions" would be cosmetic only, so not a real priority.

Eject the same, and even less likely, as explained above.

Mechs will not explode and damage people under current thinking, simply because it changes balance in an only-negative way. Sometimes more realistic is not better, gameplay wise.

#9 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Personally I would like to have a ejection mechanism, to be activated at near death by the pilot of the battlemech with a slight chance of the ejection syetm failing. Maybe once Ejected I could do recon? Maybe the ejection system would be better if added after feature complete, out of Beta?

View PostThejuggla, on 12 June 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

I agree with this point. I also agree Vasces Diablo it would be much more work than putting in the startup animation (I could be wrong I do not work for or have ever worked for PGI building maps).

Maybe this would be good to add after game is Feature Complete and out of Beta stage? It would be a awesome idea if I could (After MWO is feature complete out of beta) eject from my nearly destroyed mech, then land safetly and then choose to pilot one of the NPC vehicles (See in Concept, Upcoming Content Tracker, Upcoming Features).

Edited by zolop, 12 June 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#10 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostRattazustra, on 12 June 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Exploding mechs/engines was never part of TT. It was introduces via the novels written by Michael Stackpole. Therefore, mechs exploding is referred to as "stackpoling".

#11 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 12 June 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Exploding mechs/engines was never part of TT. It was introduces via the novels written by Michael Stackpole. Therefore, mechs exploding is referred to as "stackpoling".

Thank you I did not know either :)

#12 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Explosions aside - I'd like to see ejections leading to an XP boost or some other benefit (pilot survives)...

It'd allow players to yield. It would also allow players to heroically fight to the last... great for role-playing.

Similarly, I'd like to see a CBills boost if the mech survives a match.

Edited by Avimimus, 12 June 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#13 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostAvimimus, on 12 June 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Explosions aside - I'd like to see ejections leading to an XP boost or some other benefit (pilot survives)...

It'd allow players to yield. It would also allow players to heroically fight to the last... great for role-playing.

Similarly, I'd like to see a CBills boost if the mech survives a match.

Seems like something you could exploit to grind faster though. They're very much against people joining a match with the intent to die as fast as possible.

Plus, its just a whole load of graphic and artist work for a really nominal gameplay features.

I think with the million other things on the list to be developed, this would never really get done.

#14 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Possibly.

They said "absolutely not" back in closed beta... but these days, with 3rd person coming, consumable coolant, and every other concession they could fit under the rug. They just might add it just because.

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

A good idea. If the pilot fails to eject in time he could be charged a ransom fee because of being captured as well as a medic bill :D this would encourage the use of such an animation. Already chuckling about it. lol
The exterior view could be some what similar to mech commander but with better graphics of course. I would get a kick out of it for sure.

Edited by Johnny Z, 14 June 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#16 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

I really like the idea of an eject animation but it could be not so complicated: a small ship flying to to sky just like MW4 mercs or, better, something like MW2, maybe more complicated but more beautiful.. Someone suggested a modified missile flying out of the cockpit.

#17 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostRattazustra, on 12 June 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

what in the world is "frell" supposed to be? Use adult words please.

Edited by Fabe, 19 June 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#18 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

The devs have said no on several occasions; it will almost certainly not make it into the game. I'd like to see it though, just because, according to Battletech lore, the Catapult ejects the pilot out the side of the mech instead of upwards. I want to see this.

View PostVasces Diablo, on 11 June 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

No, nor should there be.

I don't think it's as much of an issue as you suspect. Most of the maps have quite a lot of detail that extends a long ways around the edges of the map. The only exceptions I can think of to this are river and frozen cities, and even then only in some places.

#19 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

I would love to be able to initiate an ammo explosion when I want to, which could damage all mechs around me.

Imaging 1000 missiles going boom. This sure could damage near mechs.

#20 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostTexAss, on 20 June 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

I would love to be able to initiate an ammo explosion when I want to, which could damage all mechs around me.

Imaging 1000 missiles going boom. This sure could damage near mechs.

A good reason not to have that in the game. I'm not saying you intended to do so but We do not need trolls/griefers hitting the self destruct button 1 second after a match starts and taking out half their team.

Edited by Fabe, 20 June 2013 - 05:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users