• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 June 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2475383

I gave up trying to figure out ELO where it dumped me into a game where there was potentially 4-5 trial mechs on the field with me, and expecting me to magically LEAD THE TEAM TO VICTOLY.

And yes, I spelled it that way intentionally.

"how the **** am I yet again stuck on a team where four players think an LB10X is a good main gun, supplemented by small pulse lasers??"

#22 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostDocBach, on 22 June 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

"how the **** am I yet again stuck on a team where four players think an LB10X is a good main gun, supplemented by small pulse lasers??"

"why do I have two DDC's with lrm20 + tag in my team. why god why?"

#23 soarra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

View Postw0rm, on 22 June 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

"why do I have two DDC's with lrm20 + tag in my team. why god why?"

ran into a couple of these while playing my jenner, lol fun to play against awful if on your team

#24 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postsoarra, on 22 June 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

ran into a couple of these while playing my jenner, lol fun to play against awful if on your team

Wish i could TK them without penalty :D

#25 soarra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

View Postw0rm, on 22 June 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Wish i could TK them without penalty :D

them and the lights with 1 ppc and 1 LRM 5 sitting in middle of assaults try to kill things..

#26 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 22 June 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

As a class C / class B chess player myself (USCF rating), I would add that in chess tournaments, one usually can elect whether to play within one's class, or in an open class (e.g., I could either elect to play against similarly rated opponents, in the 1300-1400 or 1300-1500 range, depending on the tourney, or elect to play in the "open" class where I would probably get paired with the highest ranked player in the first round.)

My point is, it is my CHOICE to play either within my class, or against the field that elects to play in the "open" category.

In MWO, it is not my choice. I don't get paired against similarly ranked opponents. I get paired against groups of 2x4man sync dropping thugs "elite" players, and that is hogwash.

If PGI is going to use ELO, then pair us accordingly and separate those of us who want to play within our class from the 2x4man sync dropping thugs "elite" players who can't be bothered with the minimal effort it would take them to form 8v8 against their "elite" comrades.

Exactly. The problem there is that then kills matchmaking time for everyone. They should just scrap Elo for matchmaking and move to a different system. Elo will just continue to make people mad.

I like One Medic Army's personal metrics but Bishop Steiner has some good points too. I think they should probably just scrap trying to measure 'skill' at this early stage of the game and work on actually getting the game to work properly first.

#27 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostPater Mors, on 22 June 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

I like One Medic Army's personal metrics but Bishop Steiner has some good points too. I think they should probably just scrap trying to measure 'skill' at this early stage of the game and work on actually getting the game to work properly first.

Yup, but they had to put in Elo and focus on matchmaker because there was a huge long gripefest about matchmaker putting new guys against veterans and putting teams against non-teams.
PGI had to come up with some method of assuaging these concerns while still not dividing the playerbase up into multiple sections.
I will say that since Elo was implemented matches have generally gotten better (I blame the current stomp-fest on the meta, and the fact that with only 8v8 a single lost mech is huge).

#28 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostPater Mors, on 21 June 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

That's because your Elo score forced matchmaker to put you in a losing game. It determined that to balance your Elo you needed to lose. You will often notice a streak of bad match ups or a streak of good. It's an unfortunate side effect of matchmaker using Elo to pair random teams using brackets because obviously it's got to keep those brackets, they can't get lop sided or the system doesn't work. Hence the 'bell curve' graph normally associated with Elo.

In a one on one, that's exactly what you want. It takes hard work to change your Elo bracket but hard work will do it and will move you up the curve. In random match ups it sucks because the computer makes the determination about what bracket you can fall into to fit it's needs. Skill isn't really considered, just W/L. Even if you do perform consistently better, you still lose because your team sucks. Thus, no actual measure of skill aside from magically beating the computers determinations occasionally.

**** everything about that man.

We need server browsers and we needed them yesterday. ELO makes tournaments stupid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users