Fread Error, Repair Tool Broken

2 replies to this topic

#1 leeko

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

There is no clearly marked "game support here" board, just hardware, known issues, etc. so excuse me if this is the wrong subforum.

I have returned to MWO after a months-long hiatus due to school. Disappointingly, it no longer works. I have totally erased every trace of MWO off of my hard drive and reinstalled it clean three times, each time getting a corrupt MD5 hash error when patching. I used the repair tool, which basically downloaded the whole game for me. I ran the repair tool a second time just to make sure, and it found no errors. The launcher indicated that my game was up to date, but upon clicking play it simply crashed. "FRead did not read expected number of byte from file, only 128 of 0 bytes read". Puzzled, I ran the repair tool a third time, which redownloaded almost everything. Then the game was finally playable, it seemed. I poked around and looked at the new content, then launched a game. When the game started, I got that good old FRead error again after I finished loading Forest Colony. And now, perhaps the best part, the repair tool crashes as soon as it starts to scan my MWO folder. I am close to giving up on this mess, I've wasted hours of my life trying to get this seemingly broken game to function. Having googled the problem, other people with similar errors seem to either be told to run the repair tool or receive no response. Please, please help.

Edited by leeko, 22 June 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#2 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Do you have another HD or partition you can install the game on? You might have bad clusters on your HD partition you're trying to install on, do a scan and correct by right-clicking your HD, Tools (check the box "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors") and scan the disk . This can take a while, I would recommend you run it over the night while you sleep. But if you try to install on another HD or partition it could work just fine.

#3 leeko

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I tried installing it on a different partition. Same MD5 hash problem. Running the repair tool.

Update: I ran the repair tool twice. The first time it downloaded a bunch of stuff, the second time tells me that the first "repair" didn't do very much. This repair tool doesn't seem to repair anything.

Update 2: apparently it works now... I'm not sure if it will stay this what, or why it worked this time when I have done nothing different confronted with the same errors. Thanks anyway.

Edited by leeko, 22 June 2013 - 03:15 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users