Building A Mech

5 replies to this topic

#1 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

of course,building your 1st mech you do dbl heat sinks and upgrade structure then fit the big guns that you can. :D but now planning my 2nd mech should i do dbl hs and structure and maybe lower my engine and max my armor 1st, then see what wpns i can squeeze in?

#2 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Before I purchase any 'Mech, I always head over to the smurfy website to see exactly how I can trick it out without spending any c-bills.

#3 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

That was my initial thought too, when I was first starting out. The way I build now, I put as much weight as I can into the engine without sacrificing too much firepower. More than just topped out speed, the engine size determines how fast you can turn but also how fast you can torso twist. While that's not a big deal in a scout mech, it's a HUGE deal in assaults and brawls.

As for the big guns, my most effective mech has an alpha of about 45 (maybe 47?). Not bad, but it's less about how much damage you do in total and more how those weapons work together, how your heat holds up, and how good you are at aiming.

With the improvement in LRMs, an AMS system is almost mandatory (unless you're piloting a mech that runs at 150) or ECM if your mech allows it.

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Definitely head over to MechSpecs first. Read up on the chassis/variant your looking at and check out the builds. The hit up Smurfy and see what you can do with the CB you have.

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

For the most part I select Stock... Strip Mech... Max Armor... add AMS + Ammo... click Double HS and Endo Steel...

Only then am I ready to actually start tweaking things.

Edited by scJazz, 25 June 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Endo structure is not required, most of my mechs don't use it. Double Heat sinks is pretty much a "must", though, so make sure you factor that into your budget.

Thanks to mechlabs like Smurfy, I pretty much always have some builds planned out, and then it's time to test them! Don't be "too attached" to you first planned build, experiment with different speeds, weapon types, and standard vs XL engine if you can afford it.

#6 Zaprozhan

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

The upgrades of double-sinks, endo-steel, Artemis, and ferro-fibrous are reversible, but cost permanent money each time your change your mind. Weapons can be added and removed, and are kept in storage, so there is no cost to adding or removing, other than the initial purchase. The online builders are nice to allow you to plan, but the configuration, whatever it is, even from an awesome online source, should be tweaked and adjusted according to your experience and preference. Why doesn't my return key work?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users