13 replies to this topic

#1 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

There is exclusive interview with Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games and Creative Director Bryan Ekman on PCGamer.

http://www.pcgamer.c...ves-the-series/

#2 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

If I understood correctly this sounds like forced "first person" view. I like that idea as it erases some of the fears of this game becoming an arcade shooter. And "dedicated to joystick controls" does not sound bad at all either.

#3 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

I was a bit upset [stubbed toe] to say the least, about the direction they decided to take.

However reading everything I can find on this site, and PCGamer, and some tweets with devs I can say I'm really hopeful.

The biggest let down for me was no SP campaign. But from what Russ has hinted at me, and from the article it seems MWO is just the starting point for the reboot of the franchise and there might be some glorious offline meching to come in the future. I do however like the slight rpg elements they're putting into the game.

#4 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

The problem of the disappointed people so far is that they just think of worst case situations. But there are also free 2 play games that work. Furthermore - although it is somewhat in a veeeeery far way a shooter - it offers a lot of options other games don´t due to the games unique setting. Mechs just give a real base for making them individual. Not just switching between AK-47 and M4A1. I expect and hope the best... :)

#5 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

View Postbrixx, on 31 October 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

The problem of the disappointed people so far is that they just think of worst case situations. But there are also free 2 play games that work. Furthermore - although it is somewhat in a veeeeery far way a shooter - it offers a lot of options other games don´t due to the games unique setting. Mechs just give a real base for making them individual. Not just switching between AK-47 and M4A1. I expect and hope the best... :)

The last free to play online game I played was in 2006 it was an enjoyable experience, made some really good friends for the two months I was on the game. After that everything online just didn't compare, except for LoL maybe, just... I won't get my hopes up, and I won't be badly disappointed, but might very pleasantly suprised. :D

#6 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

The live setting of multiplayer sounds like it will lead to some interesting expansions.I can't wait for the Clan Invasion or the Word of Blake.

#7 wabisabi

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

awesome post, thanks!

#8 teran

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

View Postbrixx, on 31 October 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

...But there are also free 2 play games that work.

The most obvious comparison I can think of is World of Tanks, which is in my opinion one of the best F2P games out there. If they can expand on the customization elements and offer some sort of narrative while also having a system that lets you get into the action quickly, this will be a "dreams come true" game for me.

Edited by teran, 31 October 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#9 Hikikomori

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

***** MechWarrior, I'd really like to see a World of Mechs game.

But I'll take what I can get.

#10 Belesarius

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

Very much looking forward to this. Coming from World Of Tanks... tjis has grabbed my attention and I will be paying very close attention as we move forward.

#11 Lily of Thrace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUtopia, Terra

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for the link, I don't tend to go out of my way to find new information on such sites.
Makes an interesting read, even if I did only briefly skim over it, but at least I picked up the most important bits.
I can read over it properly later.

#12 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

View Postteran, on 31 October 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

The most obvious comparison I can think of is World of Tanks, which is in my opinion one of the best F2P games out there. If they can expand on the customization elements and offer some sort of narrative while also having a system that lets you get into the action quickly, this will be a "dreams come true" game for me.

I thought of this game aswell. But there are also MMOs... like Runes of Magic with a working F2P system. All content availible and just some extra for higher comfort. Like... a slightly faster mount and stuff like that. So it is not at all impossible to work out a good F2P system.

#13 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

Again, I love the idea this is a sim in the vein of MW2 through 4, with the previously mentioned care of the TTG elements, and the slight role-play elements and, in all truth, if this game is going to turn out the way I think it will -and, of course, it won't turn out totally like I like, which means I'll have to adapt or leave-, they will have lots of my money, I will upgrade to better systems for my household, as needed, and they will, hopefully, continue to expand planets, 'Mechs, game types, RP opportunities, maps, parts, and the in-game store.

Now, I'm done for the moment. Back on here, later.

#14 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

"Absolutely. Because heat is a huge part of this game"

Nearly had me a nerdgasm with that line! This is just what I wanted to hear.

And Multiple Lance vs Lance battles sounds cool too.

And Advanced Joystick controls.

And "Information Warfare" being a key to Team victory.

And Aug.1 2012 = Aug1. 3049 (possible a Freudian slipped Launch date perhaps)

Good info and resettle the nerves for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users