So Have They Just Forgotten About Srm Damage?

119 replies to this topic

#101 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Posting support, yea SRM are nerfed to uselessness.

#102 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostGamgee, on 25 June 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Posting support, yea SRM are nerfed to uselessness.

my catapult A1 with 6x SRM 6 can reliably 2 shot an atlas from the rear. <-that seems pretty useful to me.

#103 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

View Postblinkin, on 25 June 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

my catapult A1 with 6x SRM 6 can reliably 2 shot an atlas from the rear. <-that seems pretty useful to me.

Your the exception to the rule. It`s at that spot where your able to do that. So what though? I can do it in my 6 Medium Pulse Laser Jenner in 3, and am much more able to position myself to take the shots.

Then again with a buff to SRM damage your boating damage is going to go up to insane levels again. This seems like a hopelessly endless cycle.

#104 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

And a jager 20x2 can't from a longer distance?

#105 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostGamgee, on 25 June 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Your the exception to the rule. It`s at that spot where your able to do that. So what though? I can do it in my 6 Medium Pulse Laser Jenner in 3, and am much more able to position myself to take the shots.

Then again with a buff to SRM damage your boating damage is going to go up to insane levels again. This seems like a hopelessly endless cycle.

this tells me that an atlas can be killed from the rear with 72 SRMs. slightly less than 3/4 of a ton of ammo to kill an atlas from the rear. probably less than that because i am sure there was at least some over kill.

although most fast mechs get to soak up more damage because of lag shield. i have seen jenners and ravens soak up more direct hits than the front armor of any atlas.

#106 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 25 June 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

And a jager 20x2 can't from a longer distance?

it might be close, but i don't think that is enough damage to do it in 2 shots. besides that is 28 tons of weapon vs. the 18 tons that SRM require (not counting ammo). i am shorter range but i also get 10 tons that can be dedicated to a larger engine, jump jets, and/or armor which all help me to get in position more easily.

#107 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

View Postblinkin, on 25 June 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

this tells me that an atlas can be killed from the rear with 72 SRMs. slightly less than 3/4 of a ton of ammo to kill an atlas from the rear. probably less than that because i am sure there was at least some over kill.

although most fast mechs get to soak up more damage because of lag shield. i have seen jenners and ravens soak up more direct hits than the front armor of any atlas.

I have about.... 2 shots anywhere or that part dies. That's the meta though, high alpha strike or bust. So I simply took my 4 Medium Laser 2 SRM 4 and upped the ante to 6 medium pulse since its more reliable.

Edit
I have seen quite a few lag shield lights, one game we had all 8 people on our team firing at a Raven. Like the dark times of yore. It got hit by ER PPC blast after blast and dual AC 20 with no effect. Downing three mechs before we killed it.

Edited by Gamgee, 25 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#108 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostGamgee, on 25 June 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I have about.... 2 shots anywhere or that part dies. That's the meta though, high alpha strike or bust. So I simply took my 4 Medium Laser 2 SRM 4 and upped the ante to 6 medium pulse since its more reliable.

Edit
I have seen quite a few lag shield lights, one game we had all 8 people on our team firing at a Raven. Like the dark times of yore. It got hit by ER PPC blast after blast and dual AC 20 with no effect. Downing three mechs before we killed it.

ambushing and quick kills come hand in hand with a tactics based game. disposing of an enemy quickly is almost always preferable. lasers are actually kind of bad in that respect since they spew out their damage over time. this is part of the reason why i went to 5x small lasers on my jenner so i could fit an ERPPC, the solid hit is much better than sweeping damage across several components.

#109 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postblinkin, on 25 June 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

ambushing and quick kills come hand in hand with a tactics based game. disposing of an enemy quickly is almost always preferable. lasers are actually kind of bad in that respect since they spew out their damage over time. this is part of the reason why i went to 5x small lasers on my jenner so i could fit an ERPPC, the solid hit is much better than sweeping damage across several components.

My accuracy is good enough to justify the lasers. I was one of the few back when the Raven was top dog of taking down a few of them with their lag shields in my Jenner. So accuracy isn't an issue but in extreme lag shield cases.

I also feel dirty for using such a cheap weapon. I tried out ER PPC and PPC and dominated maps with them. Downright cheesy. At least with my Jenner I have to work for those 3-6 kills. Occasionally 8. The key is to never fight from the front, hit them when they least expect it, and of course hit them in the back and run. Works like a charm every time, doesn't make a lot of money though.

For me to use a ER PPC is just boring. No skill, no speed, no thrill, no challenge to myself as a gamer.

Edit
I had a team rage the hell out today as I killed 6 of them in my Jenner. One guy was so mad he reminded me of General Zod.

Edited by Gamgee, 25 June 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#110 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostGamgee, on 25 June 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

My accuracy is good enough to justify the lasers. I was one of the few back when the Raven was top dog of taking down a few of them with their lag shields in my Jenner. So accuracy isn't an issue but in extreme lag shield cases.

I also feel dirty for using such a cheap weapon. I tried out ER PPC and PPC and dominated maps with them. Downright cheesy. At least with my Jenner I have to work for those 3-6 kills. Occasionally 8. The key is to never fight from the front, hit them when they least expect it, and of course hit them in the back and run. Works like a charm every time, doesn't make a lot of money though.

For me to use a ER PPC is just boring. No skill, no speed, no thrill, no challenge to myself as a gamer.

Edit
I had a team rage the hell out today as I killed 6 of them in my Jenner. One guy was so mad he reminded me of General Zod.

i find timing the lead in close engagements with other light mechs to be difficult, but with proper skill it is far more deadly. also it is fun to slap assault mechs in the face when they try to line up shots.

#111 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Too showy and loud, the medium pulse are like a knife in the throat as I put the mech down quietly. Most usually never react when I hit them in the back three time, they are usually too focused shooting or sniping something in the distance.

#112 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostGamgee, on 25 June 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Too showy and loud, the medium pulse are like a knife in the throat as I put the mech down quietly. Most usually never react when I hit them in the back three time, they are usually too focused shooting or sniping something in the distance.

i actually prefer the attention. while they are dumping shots at the empty air around my jenner as i do my aerial ballet, targets that they could actually hit murder them.

i find it fun to have 3 assault mechs devoting their attention entirely to destroying me while the rest of my team disposes of their team that is effectively missing all of that fire power.

#113 ATao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

Free bump for a good cause. I really do hope they didn't forget how they screwed close vs long range combat in SRM nerf. SRMs clearly need damage buff.

#114 tulip

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 25 June 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Let's, for giggles, assume I drive a 6 x SRM6 @2.0 (70pt.), and you drive a AC40. We both have similar range brackets and as luck will have it, we will both have to fight it out "Long" range as max this Match. Drop off reduces values enough to make exact data harder to compute.

What a bizarre statement.

SRM's are missile weapons which self detonate when they pass optimal range, 270m

AC/20's are ballistic weapons which means their damage falls off in a linear fashion to 0 at three times their optimal (rather than at twice optimal for energy weapons)

This means at 271m SRM's do exactly 0 damage whereas it's 811m until the AC/20 does no damage. In fact at twice it's optimal an AC/20 is still doing half it's damage which means at 540m it still does 10 damage! That's exactly the same as a PPC at it's optimal range and doing more damage than an AC/10 would do at that range (450m optimal).

Comparing the range of AC/20's and SRM's and saying they are roughly equatable is laughable.

To add to the thread on topic, I too think SRM's should be put back to at least 2.0 damage, perhaps 2.5 is a bit much now they have a more predictable spread perhaps it isn't. It would be nice if PGI let us try it at 2.0 to find out rather than making us wait another 3 months to reverse a 40% damage nerf they put in place because of buggy splash damage code which they say is now fixed.

#115 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

With or without Artemis? Probably not going to happen without. Are you hugging them?

Keep in mind youre also running 6 SRM6's. What about the mediums like the Hunchy, Cent and Treb? They rely heavily on these systems to get a quick kill. So these mechs should have to take 4-6 shots to your 2?

And an AC40 build is still superior to your SplatCat in every way....

#116 ZonbiBadger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

There are a lot of silly children here.

#117 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostKaldor, on 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

With or without Artemis? Probably not going to happen without. Are you hugging them?

Keep in mind youre also running 6 SRM6's. What about the mediums like the Hunchy, Cent and Treb? They rely heavily on these systems to get a quick kill. So these mechs should have to take 4-6 shots to your 2?

And an AC40 build is still superior to your SplatCat in every way....

happens reliably either way. i tried both. i swapped out my artemis for more heat sinks and ammo a few days ago.

not humping their leg but the kill shots were made at around 30m. if you get too close the shots spread out because the ears can't aim in that far.

not every mech can be a proper assassin. of course medium mechs can't hit as hard as a heavy mech. all of those mediums can also move a bit faster than my catapults, so they can reach the tender areas of an enemy mech much more easily.

the only way that mediums can be reliably made into good assassin mechs is if the whole game is made more deadly.

#118 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

@ Topic title: Yes.

I'm hoping that a few months after they cripple SSRMs with their planned nerf (too lazy to link to it, and it would be painful to re-read anyway), they'll buff damage for SRMs and SSRMs.

Heaven forbid they buff LRM damage too.

#119 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

+1 for SRM buff

#120 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts