What Questions Would/should You Ask Before Throwing Money At Project Phoenix?

70 replies to this topic

#1 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Look. I think PP is a great deal, and I'll be throwing money at it. So that's the end of that.

At the same time, it might be a great opportunity to submit a set of questions for a impromptu 'Ask the Devs'. After all, in any setting, its appropriate for people to voice concerns and questions before investing further.

I hardly know why I bother, but please try to keep it positive. Voicing concerns and questions is not the same as venting frustration. I don't have any problems with the latter, but it doesn't need to be done in every thread and does eventually become counterproductive.

The salesman who you're annoyed at isn't going to be able to help while you're busy choking the life out of him after all.

So, my own questions, which mirror the ones Victor Morson asks in his thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...awful-idea-pgi/

1. How is balance being done? And do the points put forward in Victor's thread above, about how maybe another look should be taken at the current processes, have any merit?

2. Communication is something that PGI has handled very poorly all along, and you've even admitted that. Why is it more efforts aren't being made to solve this problem once and for all?

Are you really satisfied or think the general playerbase is satisfied with occassional Ask the Devs and Command Chair, which seldom take any feedback and respond to it in a prompt fashion?

After all, isn't it something that doesn't really take that much resources, but would alleviate a lot of our concerns?

3. Roadmap and Deadlines. Fair enough if you don't want to justify anything to us. But here's an honest question: Are you guys happy with the results you've had meeting your own deadlines? What actions have you taken as a result?

Those are just the ones I have off the top of my head. I realise they are what people refer to as 'leading questions'. But I honestly want a straight answer, even if I end up disagreeing with them.

Feel free to post your own/comments, etc.

#2 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

HIRE A ******* BALANCE TEAM!

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 25 June 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Or they could even just consult a few community members for free and the game would be polished from coal to diamond in days.

#4 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

View PostWolvesX, on 25 June 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

I don't think those are readily available on the market.

Not to mention even among ourselves, there's a giant pile of debate about whether things like ELO should qualify you for balance discussion.

Edited by Valore, 25 June 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#5 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

How much better are the hardpoints and C-bill bonus on the hero versions of those reseen mechs going to be?

#6 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

• first: where is my credit card
  • second: when will they accept payments
  • third: when do i get my unseen mechs

#7 Petroshka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 June 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Or they could even just consult a few community members for free and the game would be polished from coal to diamond in days.

lol right .... this community?

#8 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Here's my question:

Why in the everloving hell did they pick the 4 ballistic 1 energy hardpoint Locust to be the one with the bonus?!?!?! That variant is genuinely horrible. Like a slower version of the worst spider variant with less armor and no jumpjets and no ECM. Seriously? This is how you treat your light mech pilots? I was actually probably going to buy this, but why....why.....whyyyy wouldn't you pick a useful variant!?!

Edited by PEEFsmash, 25 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#9 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

My question is, how much of the this Fire Sale will go directly back into funding to help fix and generate new "MEANINGFUL" content for MWO? or how much goes to IGP's other crap projects?. Don't buy into this thinking ALL of it will go into MWO and make it a better game, that's not how publishers work.

If I knew EVERY single cent of my money was going to fund MWO in some way, even if it is currently a bland game as it is, I would probably be more inclined to as i would know I would be helping it directly.

Edited by Tekadept, 25 June 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostPetroshka, on 25 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

lol right .... this community?

Yes, this community. Browse some of the threads here. There are some genuinely great ideas floating around out there on what needs to be done. Yes, there are also some bad ideas, but the ones that are bad are very obvious and get called out for it pretty quickly.

Edited by FupDup, 25 June 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#11 Sigifrid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Most important question: When are collisions to return?
Distant less important: why is the gauss projectile slower than an ac-2 round?

And the unpopular: Will there be anything similar to RnR reintroduced (in a somewhat more fixed version)?

#12 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Look. I think PP is a great deal, and I'll be throwing money at it. So that's the end of that.

At the same time, it might be a great opportunity to submit a set of questions for a impromptu 'Ask the Devs'. After all, in any setting, its appropriate for people to voice concerns and questions before investing further.

I hardly know why I bother, but please try to keep it positive. Voicing concerns and questions is not the same as venting frustration. I don't have any problems with the latter, but it doesn't need to be done in every thread and does eventually become counterproductive.

The salesman who you're annoyed at isn't going to be able to help while you're busy choking the life out of him after all.

So, my own questions, which mirror the ones Victor Morson asks in his thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...awful-idea-pgi/

1. How is balance being done? And do the points put forward in Victor's thread above, about how maybe another look should be taken at the current processes, have any merit?

2. Communication is something that PGI has handled very poorly all along, and you've even admitted that. Why is it more efforts aren't being made to solve this problem once and for all?

Are you really satisfied or think the general playerbase is satisfied with occassional Ask the Devs and Command Chair, which seldom take any feedback and respond to it in a prompt fashion?

After all, isn't it something that doesn't really take that much resources, but would alleviate a lot of our concerns?

3. Roadmap and Deadlines. Fair enough if you don't want to justify anything to us. But here's an honest question: Are you guys happy with the results you've had meeting your own deadlines? What actions have you taken as a result?

Those are just the ones I have off the top of my head. I realise they are what people refer to as 'leading questions'. But I honestly want a straight answer, even if I end up disagreeing with them.

Feel free to post your own/comments, etc.

Honestly if you like the game, I think it is probably worth it.

The 120 days of premium time is roughly equalivant to $50 alone. Then when you consider your getting essentailly 4 hero mechs which would equate to almost $80 in MC alone, plus the 8 other C-bill purchable mechs, plus 12 mechbay slots, plus everything else, it is pretty much a steal in value.

If you don't like the game well then nothing is going to get you to spend money.

My only issue is that I can't chose my mechs at each level. The reason for this is that I 100% know without a shandow of a doubt that the Locust is a complete waste for me. I will absolutely not play it and the only way I can get the 3 mechs I will likely play is to purchase it too. This fact takes a ton of value out of the packages for me.

#13 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

CW is a mystery, I had faith on you when I pay for the founder's program, expecting and waiting with a lot of patience for CW to deliver. Now, you are trying to do the same, with a new program with an unfinished game, with tons of bugs, serious balance problems and with 0 information about how CW is going to be?

Sorry, but its not going to happen

Just hope those who have a piece of mind are with me and reject this program until we get REAL information about CW and a REAL deadline.

http://mwomercs.com/...ou-pgi-do-this/

#14 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

So I've always wanted these mechs in this game.

But how exactly do they expect me to pay for them when the balance state of the game is an utter joke, and has almost always been thus far?

I have no incentive to cough up my money, no matter how many carrots they dangle, if they don't fix what's wrong with the game as it currently stands.

Edited by Adrian Steel, 25 June 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#15 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostSigifrid, on 25 June 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Most important question: When are collisions to return?
Distant less important: why is the gauss projectile slower than an ac-2 round?

And the unpopular: Will there be anything similar to RnR reintroduced (in a somewhat more fixed version)?

Those are largely irrelevant concerns right now considering the many other glaring problems that demanded attention yesterday and the day before, and the day before.. etc..

I want solid answers and communication on balance and how they're working with us, the community, to correct them... if I get that I open my wallet for the $80 PP package. Without that, nope... not going to happen.

Edited by JSparrowist, 25 June 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#16 Sigifrid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Ignoring the 2nd and 3rd, the first question I brought up has merit, considering that DoA was supposed to be implemented. Also, it will stop people from glitching through other mechs.

#17 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

The question on my mind that is giving me pause before buying in to Project Phoenix is . . .

. . . how big are the damn mechs going to be?

It sounds stupid but I don't wanna dump money on a bunch of mechs if they're going to be uselessly big, especially the Shadow Hawk.

#18 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

hard to be positive .. especially when they offer a package like this .

it make it seem like being a founder is not appreciated .

im so glad i did not buy legendary.

regardless the new package is a cool addition to the franchise and props to the marketing team .

but unfortunately i am still sticking to my guns and not dropping one more red cent to this game. (that is pending on the game actually getting better and becoming a enjoyable experience)

All i want is a great mech sim with a engrossing meta experience . i would also like a lil founders love to .

so that would be my question .

what can we expect in regards to community warfare and will it be an engaging experience worth spending my time and money on?

Edited by nitra, 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#19 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

View Postnitra, on 25 June 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

it make it seem like being a founder is not appreciated .

Yes Founders are last years cash cow.
Posted Image
This year it is Unseen, Next year its CLAAANS

Edited by Tekadept, 25 June 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#20 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

2 questions before buying the package:

1st: What are you going to do about pinpoint alphas?

2nd: What are you plans to give mechs more distinctive personalities? Right now they all feel like hardpoints on legs.

Edited by Sybreed, 25 June 2013 - 06:30 PM.

45 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users