What Questions Would/should You Ask Before Throwing Money At Project Phoenix?

70 replies to this topic

#41 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

I only have one question:

In the future when PGI finds themselves financially strapped and questioning their future, will programs like Project Phoenix become the go to method for generating a quick infusion of cash?

#42 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostSoy, on 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I'd ask,

how many threads like this do you think will get posted in game balance instead of upcoming features?

There's a reason the game balance sub-forum gets so much more activity than the others...

Though I'm honestly kind of surprised that they haven't just given up and dropped everything but K-town.

#43 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

This is the new General Discussion.

Soon to be split into: Weapon Balance, Mech Balance, Matchmaker Balance, and Map Balance

#44 Mercedes Bertilla

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Probably my 3 top questions for PGI besides PPCs/pinpoint alphas:

1. When, if ever, and how, do you plan to fix streak missiles and return fun to the light mech meta?? They've been totally broken since September, and it's pretty shameful you guys can't seem to get a handle on the issue after 10 MONTHS.

2. What do you plan to do about nerfing the Stalker?? Not just the PPC stalker, but the entire Stalker chassis which is far and away the most powerful in the game. The Stalker has more hardpoints than any other assault, higher weapon mounts allowing ridge sniping, is dramatically smaller than any other assault, and is harder to core because it can twist to shield center mass with a side torso.

There's no point in buying ANY of the Project Phoenix mechs when the Stalker that came out last December will automatically be superior to all of them.

3. When do you plan to implement Solaris or a solo drop mode?

#45 Xie Belvoule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 25 June 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

HIRE A ******* BALANCE TEAM!

They have a FREE balance team, it's called Steel Jaguar, KaoS Legion, DV8, QQ Mercs, HHoD, The Templars, Snow Raven, etc.

#46 Xie Belvoule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 June 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Or they could even just consult a few community members for free and the game would be polished from coal to diamond in days.

View PostTekadept, on 25 June 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

My question is, how much of the this Fire Sale will go directly back into funding to help fix and generate new "MEANINGFUL" content for MWO? or how much goes to IGP's other crap projects?. Don't buy into this thinking ALL of it will go into MWO and make it a better game, that's not how publishers work.

If I knew EVERY single cent of my money was going to fund MWO in some way, even if it is currently a bland game as it is, I would probably be more inclined to as i would know I would be helping it directly.

View PostBlackDrakon, on 25 June 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

CW is a mystery, I had faith on you when I pay for the founder's program, expecting and waiting with a lot of patience for CW to deliver. Now, you are trying to do the same, with a new program with an unfinished game, with tons of bugs, serious balance problems and with 0 information about how CW is going to be?

Sorry, but its not going to happen

Just hope those who have a piece of mind are with me and reject this program until we get REAL information about CW and a REAL deadline.

http://mwomercs.com/...ou-pgi-do-this/

View PostAdrian Steel, on 25 June 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

So I've always wanted these mechs in this game.

But how exactly do they expect me to pay for them when the balance state of the game is an utter joke, and has almost always been thus far?

I have no incentive to cough up my money, no matter how many carrots they dangle, if they don't fix what's wrong with the game as it currently stands.

View PostAndrew Cranston, on 25 June 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

My concerns mostly relate to balance and upcoming content. Personally I'm waiting until ATD 41 and July Dev Update before I get out my wallet. I won't put 80 dollars into the game if I don't think they are planning on a major revamp on weapons systems in the near future. Some of their recent twitter posts suggest that they don't see a need for that, so perhaps the game just isn't going to be what I want it to be. No amount of Mech chassis or cockpit items are going to make up for the core gameplay not being enjoyable (to me) so I guess I'll just wait and see what they say over the next week and a half.

I also want to hear some actual details on CW... July is supposedly a big month, which I'm hoping means the introduction of CW, the Phoenix Project and some decent balancing changes to go along with the large improvements theyve made to HSR and client stability.

Posted Image

#47 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

I don't think those are readily available on the market.

Not to mention even among ourselves, there's a giant pile of debate about whether things like ELO should qualify you for balance discussion.

Elo doesn't mean **** if you can't put up good ideas. Pretty simple.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people on this forum would love to go work for PGI on the balance team if they would hire us. I know I would do it in a heartbeat.

#48 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostFate 6, on 25 June 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Elo doesn't mean **** if you can't put up good ideas. Pretty simple.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people on this forum would love to go work for PGI on the balance team if they would hire us. I know I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'd do it, but mostly so I could show up to work drunk and stupid but still do a stellar job.

#49 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postxenoglyph, on 25 June 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'd do it, but mostly so I could show up to work drunk and stupid but still do a stellar job.

You'd probably end up doing better than PGI lol.

#50 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

View Postxenoglyph, on 25 June 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

View PostFupDup, on 25 June 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

You'd probably end up doing better than PGI lol.

so many world class game designers and mathematicians that linger on our forums. i would like to see some of these people attempt this, because i think it would be fun to watch all of their ignorance catch up to them.

#51 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

I just want a release date for UI 2.0. Everything else, including CW, is waiting on that.

#52 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

I only ask me one Thing. Do i have fun playing this Game, at the current State and Course of Devellopment and do i suspect that the fun is lasting for some Tme into the Future?

And i can say defitnily Yes. 2-3Times the Week, for 1-3 Hours, i have much fun at walking around in Big Robots and making a bit Pew Pew.

#53 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Look. I think PP is a great deal, and I'll be throwing money at it. So that's the end of that. At the same time, it might be a great opportunity to submit a set of questions for a impromptu 'Ask the Devs'. After all, in any setting, its appropriate for people to voice concerns and questions before investing further. I hardly know why I bother, but please try to keep it positive. Voicing concerns and questions is not the same as venting frustration. I don't have any problems with the latter, but it doesn't need to be done in every thread and does eventually become counterproductive. The salesman who you're annoyed at isn't going to be able to help while you're busy choking the life out of him after all. So, my own questions, which mirror the ones Victor Morson asks in his thread: http://mwomercs.com/...awful-idea-pgi/ 1. How is balance being done? And do the points put forward in Victor's thread above, about how maybe another look should be taken at the current processes, have any merit? 2. Communication is something that PGI has handled very poorly all along, and you've even admitted that. Why is it more efforts aren't being made to solve this problem once and for all? Are you really satisfied or think the general playerbase is satisfied with occassional Ask the Devs and Command Chair, which seldom take any feedback and respond to it in a prompt fashion? After all, isn't it something that doesn't really take that much resources, but would alleviate a lot of our concerns? 3. Roadmap and Deadlines. Fair enough if you don't want to justify anything to us. But here's an honest question: Are you guys happy with the results you've had meeting your own deadlines? What actions have you taken as a result? Those are just the ones I have off the top of my head. I realise they are what people refer to as 'leading questions'. But I honestly want a straight answer, even if I end up disagreeing with them. Feel free to post your own/comments, etc.

Pick your question wisely, you only have one choice :rolleyes: ;)

#54 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Look. I think PP is a great deal, and I'll be throwing money at it. So that's the end of that.

And this is where PGI stops reading the rest of the thread, btw.

#55 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

It really is tough. The $80 dollar package really is a good value imo. A very good value considering PGI has irritated me enough I no longer log long hours into the game. My expectations of this game at this point is pretty much zero. Asking a question would be pointless as the answer would inevitably not be how anything would actually turn out.

The questions I need to ask myself however are...

1: Does giant stompy robots in any form warrant further investment in this game.
2: Is $80 better spent on Star Citizen.

#56 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostAdrian Steel, on 25 June 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

And this is where PGI stops reading the rest of the thread, btw.

they did something good that many people have asked for repeatedly. must we really judge every single change based on EVERY mistake they have ever made? should we also include duke nukem forever in this debate?

how about we do something crazy like congratulate them when they do something we like.

but i suppose i can't stop you from complaining because they didn't fix every issue the game has ever had with the last patch.

#57 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Postblinkin, on 25 June 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

they did something good that many people have asked for repeatedly. must we really judge every single change based on EVERY mistake they have ever made? should we also include duke nukem forever in this debate?

how about we do something crazy like congratulate them when they do something we like.

but i suppose i can't stop you from complaining because they didn't fix every issue the game has ever had with the last patch.

For me (and many who don't bother to frequent the forums or the game anymore), they could add 100 great mechs and it still wouldn't be satisfying. Why? Because all those mechs will still be running on the same badly balanced game mechanics we currently have.

How about we do something crazy like tell them to stuff Project Phoenix back into the pantry until they eat what's already on their plate.

Zombies like you with appeasement attitudes are keeping a developer with a history of bad game decisions (and lying with a straight face to their fans) in business.

#58 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostAdrian Steel, on 25 June 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

For me (and many who don't bother to frequent the forums or the game anymore), they could add 100 great mechs and it still wouldn't be satisfying. Why? Because all those mechs will still be running on the same badly balanced game mechanics we currently have.

How about we do something crazy like tell them to stuff Project Phoenix back into the pantry until they eat what's already on their plate.

Zombies like you with appeasement attitudes are keeping a developer with a history of bad game decisions (and lying with a straight face to their fans) in business.

you say that but i have spent a quarter of, or less than, what you have spent.

i am merely suggesting we occasionally try the carrot, instead of immediately pulling out the stick any time they do anything (good or bad).

they pulled out some of the reseen mechs which was something people have been asking for. they are doing what people ask. <- i think that is a good thing in this case.

#59 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 25 June 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

HIRE A ******* BALANCE TEAM!

That's not a question.

This is a question:

Q: From all the riches you will get from your Project Phoenix Program, will you hire more game designers that will balance this game better, systematically and in a reasonably fast manner?
Or will you just spend it on other IGP projects again?

#60 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

View Postblinkin, on 25 June 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

I am merely suggesting we occasionally try the carrot, instead of immediately pulling out the stick any time they do anything (good or bad).

they pulled out some of the reseen mechs which was something people have been asking for. they are doing what people ask. <- i think that is a good thing in this case.

I stopped pulling out the carrot when the game started sliding deeper and deeper into the abyss. 10 steps back and 2 steps forward does not a good game make.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users