19 replies to this topic

#1 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

How exactly does AMS work? Does it destroy a certain percentage of the missiles? If it acts as a machine gun, and missiles have HP would it be possible to caculate the maximum amount of missiles that would be destroyed by it?

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

You got it right in the latter, missiles have HP and AMS bullets damage them. Therefore the more time your AMS can shoot at the incoming LRMs the more that will go down. So things like having cover can effect how much they can shoot down, also if you are between the LRMs and a friendly target they can shoot down more than if they had instead gone for you.

#3 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

In my experience recently buffed ams takes down anywhere from 3-9 missiles and more often takes down more than 5. But dont rely on it protecting you when the lrm rain starts.

#4 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

AMS makes a single LRM5 or SRM2 useless... other than that it just lessens the pain against normal missile boats. Which is OK... still very useful. Against stupid missile boats it is wonderful. Stupid = firing LRM15s through a 4 tube launcher... Stalker boating etc.

#5 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

A single AMS mitigates LRM damage, but it really shines when your team has several of them working in concert. Two or three AMS within a couple-hundred meter radius of each other can completely negate a single LRM boat and substantially reduce the number of LRMs that get through from multiple boats.

#6 Laserkid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationRural Southern Illinois

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

This is true and gives a place for the Stalker 5S and Atlas K, Missie boats that don't pay attention to the actual salvo size limited by barrel number will find themselves not dealing nearly any damage. Chassis with 15 and 20 barrel launches will get through to deal some damage though, But how many people missile boat a Highlander?

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 26 June 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

A single AMS mitigates LRM damage, but it really shines when your team has several of them working in concert. Two or three AMS within a couple-hundred meter radius of each other can completely negate a single LRM boat and substantially reduce the number of LRMs that get through from multiple boats.

Since I almost always pilot a Catapult A1 enemy missile boats have an affinity for firing on me. Demax brings up a wonderful point. There are times I don't even bother breaking lock. I just move toward friendlies who also have AMS. This is far better than breaking lock... I've now made that stupid Stalker LRM1000000000 boat useless. He can shoot me all day long for zero effect. When I get around to dealing with him... whelp he is dead. But for now I have better things to do :(

#8 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

So can someone calculate the maximum number of missiles that can be taken by an AMS per second?

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostscJazz, on 26 June 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

AMS makes a single SRM2 useless...

False. It does not shoot at SRMs. It cannot detect them as SRMs do not have a locking mechanism.

I think you forgot an S.

It does, however, shoot at streaks.

Old AMS at a range of 270 down to 220 it can take out 3 to 4 Streaks. At a range of 220 or down to 170 meters it can take out 2 streaks and damages the others. At 170 meters it takes out 1 streak missile.

A team of 3 mechs with 5 AMS is practically invincible against a single LRM boat. With me in an Atlas K, Lordred in a Stalker 5S, and another player with a single AMS, we barely saw any missiles get close enough to touch us.

Last report AMS deals:

patchnotes said:

Damage per bullet 3.5 (up from 2.0)

Source.
No knowledge is available (searchable) on missile health.

Edited by Koniving, 26 June 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#10 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

3.5 damage per second, not per bullet. The bullets are just a particle effect.

NARC has 2 hit points, every other missile has 1.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 26 June 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

Thank you, because I was thinking that conflicted a bit with other stuff.

#12 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostscJazz, on 26 June 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

AMS makes a single LRM5 or SRM2 useless... other than that it just lessens the pain against normal missile boats. Which is OK... still very useful. Against stupid missile boats it is wonderful. Stupid = firing LRM15s through a 4 tube launcher... Stalker boating etc.

Watch out for STK-3H missile boats. With two LRM20's and two LRM5's, the -3H launches salvoes of fifty missiles in a single group. There are a couple of other mechs that can fire groups of forty.

#13 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 26 June 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

So we have:
AMS - 200m range, 3.5 DPS
LRM - 120 m/s speed, 1 HP
So that means that it takes the missiles ~1.67 seconds to hit a mech from when they enter the AMS field. That means you lose ~5.83 missles per salvo, correct? Does this mean that an LRM5 is completely useless? This also seems to indicate that AMS is a good anti SSRM weapon since at 100m it will destroy ~2.9 SSRMs (assuming they have the same speed).

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 26 June 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

So we have:
So that means that it takes the missiles ~1.67 seconds to hit a mech from when they enter the AMS field. That means you lose ~5.83 missles per salvo, correct? Does this mean that an LRM5 is completely useless? This also seems to indicate that AMS is a good anti SSRM weapon since at 100m it will destroy ~2.9 SSRMs (assuming they have the same speed).

Indeed. There's a reason I always keep an AMS even on my ECM mechs before bap.

Anyway, LRM-5 by itself might be useless but it fires faster than other LRMs. Furthermore if you pack in any kind of LRM into a narc you fire one missile at a time, but regardless of whether it's one missile or 90 missiles, AMS fires at the same speed. 6 to 8 volleys of LRM-5s fired from the left arm of a Raven 3-L (single tube narc launcher) would completely drain an enemy AMS after spending only 40 LRMs tops.

#15 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostRLBell, on 26 June 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Watch out for STK-3H missile boats. With two LRM20's and two LRM5's, the -3H launches salvoes of fifty missiles in a single group. There are a couple of other mechs that can fire groups of forty.

The A1 has a group of 90... hehehe... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... cough, cough...
Posted Image

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 26 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#16 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 June 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Indeed. There's a reason I always keep an AMS even on my ECM mechs before bap.

Anyway, LRM-5 by itself might be useless but it fires faster than other LRMs. Furthermore if you pack in any kind of LRM into a narc you fire one missile at a time, but regardless of whether it's one missile or 90 missiles, AMS fires at the same speed. 6 to 8 volleys of LRM-5s fired from the left arm of a Raven 3-L (single tube narc launcher) would completely drain an enemy AMS after spending only 40 LRMs tops.

I also wonder how is the ammo consumption for AMS calculated. Is 1 second of fire equal to 1 ammo, that is 3.5 dmg? That doesn't seem right because that would be mean it would take you 3500 LRMs to drain 1 ton of AMS, give or take.
Or does the damage not carry over (if so I'm going to have to revise my calculations)? Even if, it still that means you need 1000 LRMs to drain 1 ton of AMS.
EDIT: My bad it's 3.5 DPS, not 3.5 damage per AMS shot.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 26 June 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#17 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

So we have:

SRMs have a speed of 300m/s

And yes I did forget the extra S thanks for catching that Kon

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 26 June 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

"My missiles will blot out the sun."
Posted Image

Current stats with this build.
47 kills. 31 matches. 9 deaths.
I've found this to be an incredible skill building mech -- in the sense that two alphas are an instant shutdown (and death of virtually anything it hits). There's no more than 12 alphas available. It has less armor than the stock Commando. It has less armor than the stock Locust. It has less speed than most assault mechs. It has NO rear armor. Less than 6 leg armor. XL engine. And strangely enough does superbly well in pug matches (I only died 3 times in pugs, 6 times in 4-mans. Twice by friendly fire of a stray laser here or there.)

Honestly it's a really fun build, and its title is the ROFLpult!

#19 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 June 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

"My missiles will blot out the sun."

Current stats with this build.
47 kills. 31 matches. 9 deaths.
I've found this to be an incredible skill building mech -- in the sense that two alphas are an instant shutdown (and death of virtually anything it hits). There's no more than 12 alphas available. It has less armor than the stock Commando. It has less armor than the stock Locust. It has less speed than most assault mechs. It has NO rear armor. Less than 6 leg armor. XL engine. And strangely enough does superbly well in pug matches (I only died 3 times in pugs, 6 times in 4-mans. Twice by friendly fire of a stray laser here or there.)

Honestly it's a really fun build, and its title is the ROFLpult!

It was your post that gave me the idea, but I really do not like overheating every third alpha.

View PostscJazz, on 27 June 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

SRMs have a speed of 300m/s

And yes I did forget the extra S thanks for catching that Kon

Did you forget it again? If not then you lose ~1.2 SSRMs at 100m and ~2.3 at 200m.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 27 June 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#20 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 26 June 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

Last I checked, the -A1 only has groups of 30, so firing 6 LRM15's results in three quick waves of thirty missiles.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users