On The Hot Issues...

5 replies to this topic

#1 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

So I'm still relatively new but there appears to be a few hot issues I thought I would provide my input on without actually saying I agree/disagree they are a problem:

Convergence:

The problem with this is having high amounts of pinpoint damage it seems. I would suggest having mechs have no convergence unless you target a mech (I believe this is already the case). If you do target a mech, the convergence aim is set to a point X distance further away than the mech itself, defined by the equation 0.001x^2. This is easy to implement if convergence is based on a single point as you simply take the distance between the firing mech and its target point and plug that in for x in the equation. Then you take the distance vector and simply add the scalar result to that to get the point of convergence. The end result is that you get strong convergence at close distances and weak convergence at long distances. In all cases you do not get perfect convergence which in itself feels unnatural.

I did some math for 0.001x^2 and you get target points like this:

0 meters - aim 0 meters beyond
100 meters - converge 10 meters beyond (about the width of a typical CT if fired from arms)
500 meters - converge 250 meters beyond (about the distance between the side torsos if fired from arms)

PPCs:

It seems like the issue with these is boating them then alpha striking with them on mechs that have a high energy hardpoint configuration. I suggest that PPCs do 2 less damage and instead have a "PPC burn" which occurs to the armor when hit. The burn would do 2 dps for 1 second for the side of the armor that is hit. Subsequent PPC hits only extend the time but it doesn't stack. If I hit 2 PPCs at once, the PPC burn is 1 second. If I stagger 2 PPCs by 0.5 seconds between them, the burn would be 1.5 seconds. If teammates hit the same mech in the same spot they do not each get their own PPC burn. I would also argue that reducing the projectile speed might make sense. Note thatt in MW2 the PPC was slooooooww.

SRMs:

Pretty overwhelmingly I agree that increasing their damage to 2 is a good starting point. I generally find them hard to aim and miss a lot on top of their shotgun style firing. Right now their only purpose is for mechs that have a little weight left over, full armor, have only a missile hardpoint left, don't have the tonnage for LRMs.

LRMs:

This isn't a big issue that I see but when I fire LRMs they target really goofy. They don't move fluently and the fact they miss so often seems absurd. On the forums people generally find ECMs too effective on negating LRMs. I somewhat agree as I tried to use a LRM boat catapult and even with tag I found it less effective than other mechs. I suggest the following: LRMs target the vector of a mech, rather than diving at the mech itself. If they lose lock with a mech, they still target the expected point the mech would be at based on the movement vector when they lost contact. If the missiles have line of sight of a mech, they cannot lose missile lock. If mech shuts down its movement vector becomes 0, to prevent any sort of exploitation.

Edited by JimboFBX, 27 June 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#2 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Agree with SRM buff.

Edited by xenoglyph, 26 June 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#3 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

One of the most innovative solutions I've read this far! (The ppc part)

The thought of stackable (or non-stackable) damage:
Not canon maybe, but hey... different combinations of weapon types stacking to different bonuses?
Hit them with a PPC and follow up with a missile?
Get them with some missiles and follow up with an AC10?
Pin them full of MG rounds and follow up with Med Lasers?

It would be nice to see some sort of weapon synergy...

#4 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

thanks, I hope I'm staying things clearly enough, I had to rush finishing my post.

#5 HansBlix WMD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

The PPC burn damage is a great idea. I think you could change it though so that each mech component can have at most one burn on it, rather than the mech as a hole. PPCs shouldn't do less damage overall, just not all to the same component.

#6 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

By component do you mean armor location? If so, that's what I meant, but re-reading my post I see that I did not make that entirely clear.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users